My new 308 | FerrariChat

My new 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Morrie, Dec 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    #1 Morrie, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It goes for the PPI next week and if it's OK I own it. 82 GTS, Grigio/red, 59,000 miles with a fresh belt service. Repainted very well and the interior is really sharp. There is virtually no wear on the seats, which have been dyed nicely. I had never driven one of the lower power cars till today and I was pleasantly surprised. Brand new Michelins all around, all tools and manual. Car drives tight and handles well. Clutch seems strong. 2nd gear synchros are smooth. Air is no worse than most 308s, maybe a little better and there is a wrench here in town who manages to make the air really strong in these cars. All the switches, lights and gauges work. It will need the grease swapped out on the power windows. This is a really sharp car and I hope it checks out OK.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    What is PPI and what does it do or provide? Great color combo!

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Sounds like a solid car. Good luck with the PPI, and an early congratulations to you.

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    A PPI is a pre-purchase inspection. If performed by a competent Ferrari mechanic it can give you greater peace of mind prior to purchase or provide you with information that will allow you to run or, at minimum, negotiate a better deal.

5. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks.

6. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I'm also quite pleased with the color. I have seen pics of the grigios, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one in the flesh before. My previous Ferraris have been the basic red/tan. I think gregio is really striking.

7. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Talk abut dumb luck. I sold my QV about 5 years ago and still have a Birdman fuse block which I never installed in it. The antenna on the new car doesn't work, but I just happen to have one. I meant to sell them several times but never got around to it. Is Verell still in business? I went to Unobtanium.com and found only an email address. I sent a message but haven't heard back yet.

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Morrie,

The correct website is www.unobtainiumsupply.com

9. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Thanks. What a great resource he is!

10. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Beautiful car Morrie.

I have lots of spare parts for your car at at resonable price. Please let me know if you need anything.

Best...Jim

11. htapaul

htapaul Karting

Aug 21, 2006
    Morton Wa/Mtn Ctr CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #73231 is just like your color/interior combination. Love it because it different than most. Mine came with 72k miles and had been driven daily before I got it in 2006. and I have kept driving it 40-50 miles a week. Hope you watch the PPI and learn about your car....my PPI at Norwood's in Dallas was an education. Highlight was the "Ferrari driving lessons" around and around Love Field Airport in Dallas. Since our cars have milage...we get to drive them often and not worry about the "investment". Congrats....

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    She's gorgeous.

Enjoy.

13. Tostapchuk

Tostapchuk Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TJO
  14. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    This one doesn't have a passenger-side mirror. I'm a little curious about that. I thought they were added prior to 82.

15. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I think '81 or '82 was the first year of the rectangular power mirror which came only on the driver's side. The passenger's side mirror was an option??, or maybe not even available?? Maybe the more knowledgeable people here can chime in on that. I believe 1983-up models came with both mirrors.

Pre-congrats on the car! The color combo looks great! I hope the PPI turns out well and that you are in the driver's seat smiling soon! :)

16. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Flag mirrors (2) came on later 1980 U.S. cars. Carb and early 1980 cars had Vitaloni Californian mirrors.

17. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    one of my favorite color combos. Congrats!

18. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Todd,

Since you're not familiar, note that the PPI should be done my a shop/mechanic that has no connection with the sale. Typical cost is $500 which you will be paying for. Cheap insurance to make sure the car won't suffer a disasterous failure immediately after you purchase. Should include a compression check, leakdown test, in depth inspection of suspension and brakes, etc. Not a job for an amatuer.

19. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim

20. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew