California Vintage License Plates | FerrariChat

California Vintage License Plates

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by wilkie, Dec 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    For all you California vintage Ferrari owners, there may be an opportunity to complete your classic or vintage look by mounting the old gold-on-black or black-on-gold license plates. Here's the info I copied from the So Cal Alfa Newsletter; I presume that they won't mind geetting the word out:

This past fall, Governor Brown
    signed into law AB 1658, authored
    by L.A. assemblyman Mike Gatto,
    to establish the California Legacy
    License Plate Program. Under this
    law, the DMV will issue a series of
    specialized license plates that replicate
    plates from the state's past.
    Previously, classic car owners could
    only revive well-maintained old
    plates matching the vintage of their
    vehicles. The new law will bring a
    retro look to modern license plates
    by allowing us to choose from one
    of three classic designs from the
    1950s-’60s (black lettering on yellow
    or yellow lettering on black) and
    1970s-’80s (yellow lettering, blue
    background).
    The hitch is that the law requires
    at least 2,500 paid applications be
    received by the DMV by January 1,
    2014 or 7,500 orders. The initial fee
    is $50; renewals $40. Go to www.
    dmv.ca.gov and ask about registering
    for these plates.

2. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The problem with the new proposed law is that it only replicates the color of the vintage plate. The license plate number will still be in the current 7-figure sequence (e.g., 1AAA123) and will be in the current numerical sequence for new cars. The real plates from that era were only 6 figures (e.g., 111 AAA) and to the extent they were 7 figures (starting in the late 70s early 80s) they began with the number 1. If you get a plate today from the DMV it will be 7 digits starting with the letter 6. It will immediately identify your plate as not being a vintage plate. So, IMO, this is not much to write home about.

What CA is proposing is actually already possible by buying a black/gold or blue/gold plate from a third party vendor that then stamps your current license plate number on the replica plate, which you then hang on your car. Not exactly per regulation because the third party plates are not made/supplied by the DMV, and I suppose that is the main reason why this Bill has been introduced.

The better alternative is to search for and buy real vintage plates (several on EBAY) that coincide with the year of mfr for your car. If you can find two matching plates with the sticker from the year of your car (admittedly not the easiest thing to do), the DMV will allow you to put those plates on your vintage car.

3. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    Could'nt you get a "personalized" plate like "FER 123" and use the new (old) color scheme to create a fully vintage look?

4. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    Can you provide the contact info for one of these third party vendors? I could give them sime business.

5. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
  6. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I suspect you could if that particular plate number has not previously been issued and active.

That is also the problem with buying actual vintage plates. If the plate number is still in DMV records as not being cancelled, you will not be able to use them. Many vintage plates for sale advertise that they have been pre-cleared by the DMV as usable. That is an important feature to look for obviously.

7. YenkoKurt

YenkoKurt Rookie

May 19, 2012
    Topanga CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Anderson
    You can check for availability right on the DMV website. I've done it a couple of times.

8. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    Thanks, Keith!