Euro Version CA Smog Testing | FerrariChat

Euro Version CA Smog Testing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sjtom, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Does anyone have any experience with California emissions testing (to initially register it in CA) of Euro version (no air pump/cats) F-cars? The car in question is too new (80) for the 30 year exemption, and one local source said to register it as a "collector" car. I've searched the site and can't find anything - perhaps I missed applicable threads. Help!

2. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

1. GM electric smogpump mounted in the right rear of the trunk
    2. removable cat with line to the airpump
    3. get the car extremely hot.
    4. assuming your engine is tight and tuned properly? You will pass with no problems like my car did.
    4. remove cat, and pull fuse to smog pump.
    5. install catless exhaust

Good luck.

I assume your dot and epa paperwork is greenlight?

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    let me keep it here where they dont care. i love the euro cars. carbs especially. from what i have read in the california section, you are screwed unless you mod the car. check with some of the members in that section as i believe there was / is a thread about something similar to this. good luck.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Euro car in Cal?

THey don't care, you have to put the car in California spec, even if it costs $5K, it is your problem. Pass smog like a California car or no registration. Not even a collector car (or historic plate).

5. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    To all: Thanks for the replies. They reflect the range of advice I've gotten locally.

Turboqv, when the car was imported (into Virginia), they got a clear title based on mods they made, a smog pump (w/ a fabricated bracket), two check valves with a smog valve, and line to both banks using F-stock air distribution pipes (but not to the heads-no air injector holes-, but to the test pipe junctions on the top of the exhaust manifolds!). When I bought the car, the engine was apart because of a sucked valve, and nothing in the smog system was in working order, smog pump, valves, nothing. In fact, some of the plumbing was open and two of the manifold inlets were welded shut, so it never could have worked! It was all for show. (Is there any wonder that it ate a valve?)

So basically, I have to put in a new smog system, so your hint of getting a electric smog pump sounds attractive. Do you have any info on what application yours is from?

Thecarreaper, you're right, if I have to mod the engine (with replacement air injector heads) you may find it on your doorstep in the future!

Yelcab, I've talked to a few people (one in Redwood City) who suggested that I bring it back to the applicable Federal standards in place when it was imported (1985) and request a referee to effectively throw myself on CA's mercy, however unlikely that sounds. Supposedly, the referee system was put in place to handle cars that can't pass, such as older gray market ***used*** cars. They all said the same thing about new non-complying cars - forget it!

I'm heading off to look where Turboqv mentioned, if I find anything I'll put it in this thread. Once again guys, thanks.

Tom

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    TOM, on the serious side, i do hope it all works out for you. that would be awful to have the prize of an fcar in your hands and not be able to enjoy or keep it. sounds like it has a history and stories to tell! ( i mean that in a good way) please keep us posted on your efforts, if the car is within my means i will be glad to relieve you of it if it comes to that. best of luck to you. michael

7. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    As I understand it, CA requires the car to be in the exact configuration that it was tested in in the year of certification. That means it needs to be set up like other California cars in 1980. The first thing I would do is get the shop manual supplement for the 1980 model and compare that to what you have. I'm not sure an electric air pump mounted in the trunk will pass when an engine-mounted unit was specified. I once got dinged on a California inspection because I had a GM charcoal canister, and not the original Ferrari one.

Also, using the mixture test pipes for air injection may be a problem. First of all, there is a diffuser on the normal air injection port inside the exhaust port, Second of all, injecting air into the exhaust pipe rather than the head might cause overheating and melting the exhaust header pipe because of the supplemental combustion.

Its hard enough for owners of pre-fuel injection Ferraris to pass smog in California, even if they had all the pieces, and were originally California cars.

It might be cheaper and easier for you to buy a Ferrari in California that has passed smog, rather than fighting the smog Nazis (been there, done that).

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    agreed.... MIKE F. , seems the " while in rome ... do as the romans " applies. when in CALI, get a car in Cali already smogged. all the work and mods required would seem to ruin the cars character unless it was done for the cali market by the factory. sort of on topic, does california have issues with euro cars NOT metting the federal bumper standards since they dont have the U.S bumpers from the year of manufacture??? here in GA they dont care, and though i have selected to get a euro carb 308 ( A GTB!) when the time is right, i wounder how you folks keep your sanity trying to make old cars run" clean"!!!
    it was stated by the starter of the thread that the car " ate a valve" at one time. could a smogged engine from a wrecked 308 be put in this car to allow him to pass the inspections??/ just wondering... i say let the east coast fcatters ( me !) keep the car for you and put carbs on it.... maybe there is a shop around that can do a tasteful conversion on th car and it can be made to pass since it has the CIS injection ( car is a 1980 i think??). best wishes...... been watching this thread!!! michael

9. bob_briley

bob_briley Rookie

May 11, 2003
    So. Cal.
    I have an '80 carb'd euro 308 that was registered about 2 years ago in CA. There was a process that it went through, state inspection and paperwork. I recently had it smogged and it passed with ease. Making it pass the actual smog test was easy. This car had lived in CA for many years prior to being registered because it had dealer tags. The part that you need to research is wether or not CA will allow cars from out of state to be BAR certified. They may say if it wasn't in CA before a certain date, they won't allow it. As for all of the equipment, they didn't care what it was off of, just that it worked and passed smog. They didn't care about the km speedo, bumpers, side lights, type of smog pump, charcol canister... What it needs for smog inspection gets written on the BAR sticker, just make sure it's there when it is smogged again. Again, coverting it to meet the smog standards and making it pass are the easy part. There are others around here with the same situation so mine wasn't an exception.

10. sjtom

sjtom Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Mike F and Bob, interesting points. Actually there's a twist in the story; According to documentation, there were no 80 Mondials (all of which were injected) built for or shipped to the US except for gray market cars. 81 was the first US-spec year. Thus, there's no standard for 80 Mondials and no "holes"/mounts for a smog pump or any other related plumbing or cats. A loophole perhaps?

Also, the observation pertaining to the late addition of air into the exhaust may well be on the mark - there's some indication that the muffler was too hot. Of course, it's hard to tell, since the previous owner was unaware that the engine needs maintenance - three of the forward bank spark plugs were completely bridged, along with other atrocities too gruesome to mention. I've been working on it for 4 years now and I'm still a long ways from sorting it out (actually not as bad as it sounds - restoring a Jag XK120 at the same time).

Judging from the different sagas told to me, I'm beginning to think that a lot of the successes are due, at least in part, to who does the testing and visual inspections. Thanks all.

Tom

11. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    I FACED A SIMILAR AND EXACT situation. Many people on this board said it would take thousands of $$$$$ to make it pass Cali smog. I did it for less than a grand.

Call James Patterson at Norwood Performance, s sponsor on this board. Mention to him that you are interested in making a 308 cali smog legal.

good luck

Paul