991 GT3: PDK or Manual? | FerrariChat

991 GT3: PDK or Manual?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by blockbuster, Dec 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    Over the past six months I have read conflicting articles about the transmission for the next generation GT3. Some say PDK and some say manual-only (like current GT3). Anyone have some reliable information on this?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    paging Senna1994....

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Well Porsche just released a new video on YouTube of the new 991 GT3 Cup car and it has a paddle-shifter PDK transmission.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Hasn't Porsche already said they'll keep offering a manual as long as people are buying them?

Mark

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For racing, where winning is the goal, PDK is faster, so IMHO, it is the way to go. For a DD street car, where fun transportation is the goal, a three pedal manual is more fun, so it is the way to go.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I understand where Franklin is with the Manual, and I have always had a manual 911, until I drove the second generation PDK in the 991. I am hooked, they made huge jumps on the Software and me personally, think it is the finest DCT out there and if I were to buy a GT3, I would perfer the PDK over the Manual. Again this is only my opinion. but you have to drive both versions and make your own decision.

7. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The 991 GT3 Cup car does have the paddle shifter from the 997 GT3R, but the transmission is a revision of the 6-speed sequential race trans that has been in the Cup cars for awhile.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/motorsport/racingcars/

The PDK is a 7-speed, dual-clutch gear box.

8. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    thanks for the info

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree. If I were to buy a GT3, which is more of a track car than a DD, I too would go with a PDK. But, I needed a DD, so I went with a 991C2S w/7mt for the fun factor. I did test drive a 991C2S w/ PDK as well as an unsold 997turbo w/PDK and just liked the 7mt better for my normally boring DD in Atlanta traffic.

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I've heard the new GT3 will be PDK only... unfortunately.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove a PDK-equipped 981 Boxster S today, in traffic and on some open back roads. It was flawless. Very smooth, and uncanny in always being in the right gear. In comparison, the DSG in my old Audi TT was either in full-on attack mode (fast but frantic) or lazy fuel economy mode and could be caught off guard. And it's light years better than the whiplash-inducing units Ferrari used in the 355 and 360.

I'll take three pedals and a lever in my 356, but if/when I order my next Porsche I'm sold on the PDK. The car is maybe the best I've ever driven in overall capabilities and fun factor -- I think anyone could reliably run 0-60 in the high 4's just by pressing the sport button.

(Also the brakes will tear your face off if you put them to the test. I've never braked as late going into a corner and come out of it looking like a hero.)

12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 I just did quite a bit of driving today in all conditions in my 991, I cannot agree with you more about the PDK, it is better than my McLaren (even with the newest update) in automatic mode. The cars from Porsche (981 and 991) are just fantastic in all aspects.

13. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1. It is actually scary how good it is. By far "thee" best DCT available.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    In Automatic Mode, I concur, it is a huge leap in the software over the 997.2 and Panamera. I still think in pure Manual Mode it is the 458, a very close second is the 991, and the McLaren (with update 10) is excellent as well, although not as good as the other two. But what is nice about McLaren is they keep tweaking it and getting it better and better.

15. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    I have driven manuals all of my life. Then I test drove the 981 S with PDK and it blew me away. I now have one.

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Congrats, are you going to wait and see how the C7 turns out?

17. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Never thought would say it, if 991 GT3 was available with 6/7 speed, I would go with the PDK. Even though some of my mileage is track, I would also drive on the street... the PDK relieves the hassle in stop and go traffic, which seems too common these days.

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I drove mine all day today dealing with traffic, and the PDK is fantastic.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I drive my 991C2s w/7mt in North Atlanta suburban traffic, 21 miles one way to work each day + to court, depos, ect... I would go crazy if I had to do that in a flappy paddle pdk car. The manipulation of the throttle, shifter and clutch are like miles of therapy to kept the road rage away as I share the roads with "drivers" putting on make-up, texting, eating and/or just don't know how to drive anyway.

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    I agree the newest PDK's are technologically advanced, fast, smooth, brilliant transmissions. I would be bored after an hour. I'll keep my 997 manual and prey for the old, outdated, slower, inferior transmission for the 991 GT3.

21. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    PDK is amazing but I still opt for the manual. Just so much more fun.

22. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    #22 AndrewJM, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    I drove a PDK 981, and though it's impressive, I was bored after 5 minutes. Drove a manual 991 right after, and felt right at home. Go with the manual.

23. italiangerman

italiangerman Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm not so sure anybody has answered the question posed by the OP. Will both transmissions be available when the GT3/GT3RS launches?

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would pray there is more to it than that. I just too a friends 991 for a drive. The shift of the manual felt sloppy compared to a 997 GT3 i recently drove. While the steering was direct and had heft there was zero and I mean zero feel. So two joys of the 997 are lost, shift feel and steering. The motor was loud in a gruff not smooth kinda way.

Basicaly if the koreans had decided to build a rear engined flat 6 911 type car the 991 is what you would get, a really good car but not a 911. Or put another way, if VW built a porche this would be it, and that is exactly what it is, a rear engined 21st century 928, porche has finalyy been able to kill the 911, whatever the 991 is, its not a 911.

So I woudl hold out little hopw for the new GT3 being the superlative vehicle the 997.2 GT3 was. We are in the video game era of cars now, ferrari says they are reinventing fun and feel in their next generation cars, lets hope so.

maybe the new vette will get it right, the viper loks inetresting, because if you want a high powered alive viceral sports car, those two may be the last hope. Everything else is fast but anodyne.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Funny misspelling of the week...

I pray you didn't mean prey... :)