355 prices are going... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 prices are going...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Dec 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    When I read stories like Butch355 had, it makes me realize how lucky those of us with shops, tools and the time and mechanical ability to service our own 355's are. The cost/value/resale equation of a 355 is quite different for us than it is for those relying on dealers or independent's to service their cars. The cost in parts for a major is less than $2000 in most cases and time spent doing it is probably quality time for most of us. I could afford to buy my car but there is no way I could afford to pay to maintain it unless I do it myself. In that case, I certainly would choose an alternate car and avoid a 348/355 and most Ferrari's. I wonder if this will depress the potential value for these cars in the future, or if it already has? Perhaps in 20 years Ferrari 355 will only be owned by mechanics or the UBER-wealthy:)

2. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm with you there. I think the maintenance schedules and the price of labor for exotic cars has got the be the biggest scam ever pulled in automotive history. I can't image paying over $10,000 to someone to install less than $2,000 in parts on my car and they barely have a couple of days work into it if that. Seriously thier not working magic when they're working on it. It's an internal combustion engine not a nuclear submarine.
    I restore cars ground up and do resto mods installing newer suspension and fuel injected engines etc. so I will do all my own work on the Ferrari, of course I would have to anyway since there is not a exotic shop for at least 600 miles that I know of.

3. butch355

butch355 Karting

Jan 27, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Apex, I own my own lift and that $25K I spent doesnt include ANY of the work I did such as ALL the oil changes, CAT ECU, desticky the whole interior, change out transaxel to redline 3x, misc Gothspeed updates and fixes.

Hard to save money on a major when you need Cats, water pump, clutch, CV boots, and other stuff Dave Helms found at purchase for my first 13k. My second major was just over 7k and FOD said that is about as cheap as they go at the dealer.

If you add in all the other work I did on the car at least add in another 5K easy on my lift in misc parts. Also add in the tires, roof repair, repair front bumper, at leat 10 polish jobs by me, repaint rear bumper, alignments, etc. If I didnt have the lift and did the small work, I would have been sleeping in my car!!

My main point here is dont buy these cars and expect the $2k bills for a major every 5 years. Plan about 2k min a year is more like it.

Again, I love the car just want people jumping in the F car world to know these cars are very expensive and sensitive. Dont think this will ever be like an M3 or 911 in costs.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Wisdom to live by. I have owned several M3s, several 911s, and several 348/355 Ferraris. The M3 is like taking your kids to the park with a baseball mitt, the 911 is little league, and the 348/355 Ferraris are Major League. I love them all, still have them all, but I know what owning a Ferrari is like compared to the other marques.

5. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    Ouch! Well, Butch I hope I got in at the bottom of the curve and my car goes up in pace with my service and repair investments. I don't actually expect it to, I just will try to minimize the costs by doing much of the work myself. None of my cars are "investments" they are only for personal pleasure and, like you did, I sell them when they are not worth cost for the pleasure they provide me. Right now the 355 is like a hot new girlfriend, fun exciting and worth her drama. But if she starts needing an apartment and an expense account I'll be moving on to the next one!

6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    .Actually my F355 has been much more reliable over the 7 years I have owned it than my E30 M3 was that I owned in the mid 1990s, it was by far the least reliable car I have ever owned. Two of my best friends owned E46 M3s tha had to have the entire motor replaced before 10,000 miles (BMW did pay for those as the problem was widespread). These experiences broke me from ever wanting another BMW. I think I will take my chances with the F355.

7. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    I have had 3 M3's, one e36 and 2 46's. In the past 16 years I have replaced one water pump on the 36, a coil pack and computer module on one of the 46's. Could not ask for a more reliable performance car.

8. tendeu

tendeu Karting

Dec 1, 2009
    Here in Brazil the prices are very high, a 458 costs about $ 1million dollar, a $ 1.4 million dollar 599GTO. A 355F1 costs $ 190k dollar.

One person wanted to buy my car and even offered 210k dollar.

9. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Damn, a snickers down there must cost $200.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

1.00 USD = 2.09 BRL

11. tendeu

tendeu Karting

Dec 1, 2009
    exactly, a steal! crazy!

12. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    You find me a buyer in Brazil for $150k they pay shipping and everything else... And I will pay you $25k for your trouble. :)

Of course I'm kidding but hey you never know.

13. docbdh

docbdh Rookie

Oct 29, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    BDH
    I have a 355 with 10,600 miles that needs a major...for sale..... red/tan/manual. no issues....sticky parts done, challenge grill, tubi

14. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Year? Coupe, Spider or GTS?

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    year, gts, gtb, s?

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    PM sent, I'm interested pending details

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  18. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    #93 gcthree, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Prices seem to be on the rise for Berlinettas. Witness these 2 dealer ads in Motorsport magazine (British vintage racing magazine). At the current exchange rates, the GTS is $96k and the Berlinetta is $83k. There's another Rosso Corsa Berlinetta from an Ohio dealer that is $80K+.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    As a good UK buddy of mine would say "the prices of goods in the UK are insane"

Hard to compare US prices to UK or any other country, all together different.

20. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Certainly true. However, it doesn't mean this should be dismissed.

Plenty of people on this forum are not from the US, and an observation of 355 trend prices, and between 355/360 models is relevant.

In several countries a good 355 will command more money than an equivalent 360, and that is interesting.
    It is a trend that is certainly happening in Europe / Asia, and it may well make its way to the US if it hasn't already.

eg. A good 355 here in Aus will cost north of US$160k. Yes, that is US$.

You guys who can pick them up for US$50k have no idea how lucky you are!

:)

21. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My thoughts exactly. F355 is a cult like car.

22. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    #97 schefdeh5, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    I was in the market until 2 months ago, but decided to wait until my other investments worked out.

Before, I was looking at the 355 convertible in rosso corsa red or giallo yellow - typically with a major already completed. With those prices I ended up seeing:

1) Most 355s (convertible) were in the 50-mid 60s range.
    2) Most the cheaper 40s to sub-50s, needed a major - so add $10-15K to that = same range.

Towards the end of my search however, I almost pulled the trigger on Tech4Ferrari's 355 Berlinetta, even though it had "high mileage." So, if I'm to get one in the future, I'd definitely 100% go with the Berlinetta. Since Berlinettas are more rare - maybe they'll keep their value ... time will tell.

23. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Berlinettas are not "rare"
    4871 Berlinettas
    3717 Spiders
    2577 GTS
    None appear rare to me!

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Rare is being misused. They are hard to find because the owners tend to keep them....

25. RubiFan

RubiFan Rookie

Jan 23, 2012
    #100 RubiFan, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    Hi Robb,

I am no where near as wise in this matter as the other fellows on this forum but I was where you are at trying to make a decision.

I was tormented trying to make a decision between the 355 and the 360. The 355 is just pure elegance - art in motion with melody to match - and so I was drawn to it first. Yet, I thought of the 360's "recentness" and less cost. When I asked the veteran 360 owners, they expressed their regrets at letting their 355s go and wished they still had them. This spoke volumes to me. Additionally, as some have stated,, the 360s will cost you as much in other ways - in the long run, there simply are NO cheap Ferraris.

I was recently in Latvia and saw one there that had been purchased for $105k with 30K miles. My friend in Rome says the 355 is highly regarded and way more expensive than they are here.

I can also say that I have already paid the cost of admission and thought it would tear me asunder as I am not "well off" and thus really have no business owning one, yet, here I am, proud owner of a glorious 99 black beauty 355.

Good luck on your choice.