Must Read Story! | FerrariChat

Must Read Story!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dave rocks, Dec 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #1 Dave rocks, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    Well, I had quite an experience this past Saturday. I was in Atlanta visiting some customers and Saturday morning myself and my associate were on the way to Greenville SC to see another customer but we stopped at FoA on the way. I wanted to simply look around but more importantly, my goal was to meet the guys there and build a rapport and relationship since I've recently begun my search for my first Ferrari (355).

While walking around outside drooling over the cars, a gentleman pulled up in his 2006 black F430. The car knocked me to the floor - absolutely gorgeous!

So the gentleman gets out and starts walking to the dealership and I yelled out - beautiful car you have there! So, we began to chat. 2 minutes later he says "Are you going to be around for a while" I replied, yes, I've not even been inside yet. So then he says "OK, I'll see you in a bit and then you can take her for a drive" At this point I thought I was drunk, dreaming, hallucinating or something….so I said "Are you saying you are going to let me drive your car?" He replies "Sure, it's just a car"

Now I'm walking around the dealership thinking to myself "this guy is going to let me, a total stranger, drive his $150K car? This can't be real"

About 15 minutes later - it became real.

Now here comes the best part:

I've never driven a Ferrari - I've never had a ride in a Ferrari - I don't know this guy - I'm pretty nervous about having an accident in someone else's expensive car but I think - I've got to take him up on the opportunity.

So I get in which was like climbing into my basement, an inch off the ground. All I see forward is…well, nothing, the cab is so forward. I put the car in reverse and the sound from that alone put a smile on my face.

Now we take off and I'll really babying the car, shifting at about 2000 RPM. He says "Go ahead, get on it a bit, you're already a pro". "Take the RPM to at least 4000 before you shift" I'm loving it - the sound was blowing my mind, the steering so tight, just everything I have ever imagined!

Now he says, "Get on the express way here - don't break at all, the car will stick" - we begin to get on the merge lane and he says "Go ahead, open her up".

Now, I'm not looking at the speedometer at all, I'm using my ears for the shifts (still shifting rather low in RPM but 4000), paying attention to not crash his car and then he says "yeah, you just hit 110" OMG!!!

I had the best time ever! Not only is the car truly a work of art, the better part of the story is the generosity of the gentleman that gave me this opportunity. Who does this? This is what I call good people and the world needs more of them. It's inspired me to act in a similar manner.

Just a great guy, absolutely a real gentleman and he deserves to own a car of this caliber. I'm truly speechless!

So, we've been emailing and it turns out he is a member here, "Speedyman" I don't want to release his name, he will do so if he wishes. I can promise you, he's got whatever favor he needs coming from me - great guy!

THANK YOU SPEEDYMAN!!!

Imak likes this.
  2. 'Da Wolf

'Da Wolf Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly not California
    Great story, amazing to hear that a total stranger would do that, must be that time of year.

3. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    Ha! I love it! Congratulations!!

4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    That's fantastic! The guy is either just that nice or absolutely crazy for doing that!! Either way good for you.

5. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Now you're hooked. Mission accomplished.

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Thats really great! ...I keep thinking about one perfect CS, upside down in a field, that was the end of a similar story. *I know it was a friend of the CS owner, not a complete stranger.

The 430 can "get away" from you, especially with cold tires, and one curb at moderate lateral velocity can rearrange everyones schedule.

7. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    #7 Texas Turbo, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    I was taking my father-in-law for a cruise on Sunday and some random dad waved us down in his neighborhood. He asked me if I would take his kid for a quick ride because he absolutely LOVED Ferraris and he made his parents slow down every time they passed the Ferrari dealership here in Austin.

It was the least I could do and I was happy and proud to "share the passion" for the first time in this capacity. I try to be low key and not attract any attention but a-Ferrari-is-a-Ferrari so I do make a point to talk to everyone that shows interest and try to be as generous and polite as possible. Ferrari's are special and meant to be driven and shared. It is fun for everyone involved and opens up new lines of communication through a mutual appreciation for one of the finer things in life. Plus, they sound so freakin' cool!

I'd like to think that the young man that got his first ride in my Ferrari will remember that day fondly for the rest of his life. But... of course I was doing nothing more than driving down the street and back with a nice kid who was beside himself with joy. And now I get to feel good about doing it too. Hmm, I'm really the big winner in this equation. Like our own PhilNotHill always says... Life is good. Life is better driving a Ferrari.

Kudos to Speedyman and guys like him. I won't even let my friends drive my car. Granted, it is still "new-to-me" and I'm kinda protective, but there's no way I'd let a stranger drive my car. That's not a knock on Speedyman... he's my hero, I just am not wired that way. My brain can't imagine doing an act that is so unbelievably generous. He's got his priorities right as far as I'm concerned... and I can only image how good HE feels when he shares and gives like this. I imagine he gives in other areas of his life too. I'm sure is living a very blessed life... it is great to have members like this in our community.

This rant is not complete without mentioning the Tax Dr in New Jersey. If you have never read about him then do yourself a favor and check out these threads. He's on another level of generosity. I can't get my head around what it must be like to own and maintain such an amazing fleet of cars... but then to share them as openly and freely as he does is pretty much legendary.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221275&referrerid=4392

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311332&referrerid=4392

These people, and many others on the board, are great examples of what we SHOULD be doing while we are lucky enough to own these beautiful works of art. These are the folks that inspire me and make me check myself and my priorities. And as I said above... the real winners are the ones who are willing and able to share the passion with others.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, I'm no pro but I did a 3-day formula racing school in the past so I do know how to drive but the owner did not know that. And, we were still well within the capability of the car.

9. Deniwa

Deniwa Rookie

Sep 5, 2011
    Bragg Creek, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I can relate to what you're doing. I've owned my 308 for six months and in that time I've let over thirty of my friends drive my car. Call me crazy, but I really get a kick seeing other people enjoy the same feeling that I had when I drove a Ferrari for the first time. Mind you, i sit in the passenger seat to coach them through the process, but they are durable cars, and the prospect of damage is minor compared to the amount of joy they bring to others. I believe they are really special cars, and that experience should be shared with the public whenever possible. Cheers, Dennis.

10. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    some of us like letting others drive, its all about the fantasy. Owning one of these is the dream and once you own it, its time to share the dream. I have been that guy letting others drive my 360, its incredible.

11. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That really is a great storey.
    The world isn't to bad sometimes. Glad you had a blast.

12. scubamike

scubamike Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    In the south
    I've let my brother and a few close friends drive the car. They really appreciate the opportunity.

To the OP, you now have a real big problem. The 355 is a nice car but it's not a 430 and I suspect you'll always be yearning for one, even when you're driving your 355.

13. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Remember to return the favor when you get yours! By the way FOA is a great place to buy a car from.

14. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    wonderful story.
    a model for us all to emulate.

Imak likes this.
  15. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    +1

16. Mo T

Mo T Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed
    Great story man glad you put it here for everyone to read, and two thumbs up for Speedyman!!!

Imak likes this.
  17. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    That is an awesome story, I'm so happy for you. That certainly doesn't happen every day. Or, if it does, we don't hear about it!

You'll be thinking about this one for a long time. Hell, it might keep you up at night. The first time I drove a Ferrari, that's what I felt like. That was when I knew it would be important to have my own.

:D

18. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    "This is a mans dream, that soon will end up in ownership!!!!" ;-)

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  20. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    The owner of the 430 is defiantly a better man than me!!!

21. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Warms your heart.

22. newbwrx

newbwrx Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    PNW
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great story. Let Speedyman be the first person to drive your new Ferrari.

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I love to let the people that mean something to me, and have the ability, drive the Boxer.

Many today cant drive a manual.

It would have to be a special stranger.
    But yes why the hell not if that person were genuine.

24. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Talk about "paying it forward." Good man and great story!

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just like any good drug dealer................ "The first hit id free"! They always get you on the come back!

I usually let kids sit in the CS, or offer rides to fans, but I don't know if I would flip the keys to a stranger.