Good book about Vietnam air war? | FerrariChat

Good book about Vietnam air war?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by finlandese, Dec 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Hi,

Going on a holiday to Vietnam in next feb. I am intrested in military history, and have a pretty good knowledge abot WWII european theatre, I don´t know much about much about Vietnam, air or ground war. Do you guys have any recommendations for good books to read?

P.s. I am assuming that the "Apocalypse Now" was not a documentary film..

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's a novel, but very good:

"Flight of the Intruder" by Stephen Coonts. About an A-6 pilot in the Vietnam war.

Coonts actually was an A-6 pilot in Vietnam.

Met him a number of years ago.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  4. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Just checked it from the wikipedia. Sounds intresting..

Thank you, I think I´ll get it. Keep them coming, I just broke my ankle, so plenty of time to read..

5. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    I was thinking more along the lines of non-fiction, but I´ll have to think about it. My wife gives me hell about not reading fiction, so maybe this could be a way to get a break from that!

6. kppolo

kppolo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    "Bury Us Upside Down" by Dick Rutan is about his times as a Misty Pilot doing forward FAC and it is not bad.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Start here: PALACE COBRA, Ed Rasimus. Firsthand accounts of driving F-105's & F-4's. Pix to boot!

8. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  10. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Chickenhawk is a briliant book about a helicopter pilot in Vietnam :)

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Since the "air war" is a very broad area, there are many excellent books covering the bombing campaigns, the helicopter role/Air Cav, the air-to-air/MiG sweeps, the FAC missions, the Navy air campaigns, pilot POW stories, the SAM threats, development of command and control, etc.

Two of my favorites:

Sierra Hotel, by Anderegg is about the decade AFTER Vietnam and how those young pilots (now colonels and generals) used the lessons learned flying FAC missions to shape the Air Force before the Gulf War. Not the Vietnam air war, but the people who flew it.

Fighter Pilot - Christina Olds and Ed Rasimus put together triple ace Robin Olds (auto)biography. Though it covers his whole life, the shaping of the Air Force up to the Vietnam air-to-air war, politics, tactics, aftermath, lessons learned, etc are all well covered. Great aviation book on all levels.

Also Wolfpack by Jerry Scutts is good, though very narrow in the MiG air-to-air only story. Palace Cobra (and When Thunder Rolled) and Bury Us Upside Down get a second vote from me also.

12. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Excellent recommendations, guys! I´ve read the Chickenhawk years ago, and was thinking about reading it again.

A question: Is the "Wolfpack" about navy or air force operations?

What would be a good book for the general history of the war?

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Wolfpack is about the Air Force 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, who scored more aerial MiG kills than any other wing. Like I said, it is a very narrowly focused book, but very detailed on the air-to-air war of the F-4s in that wing.

14. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    The reason I asked was that I just read a book about the formation of the Navy´s Top Gun program, and as most of these recomendations are from the Air Force perspective, I´d like to get a few books from both services.

15. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    An excellent read is 'The Rescue of Streetcar 304'. Story of a Navy type shot down in his A-7 and on the run for 48 hrs.

16. ferraridk

ferraridk Rookie

Dec 30, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter Fink
    I know this is slight of topic concerning recommandation for readings.

Coming from Europe our famly visited New York the week before Sandy. Beatufull weather, clear bue sky and warm temparature. We had booked a guided tour on the carrier Intrepid. 90 minutes story telling of how it was serving on Intrepid during the Vietnam war. The guide had studied history at University and told very interestingly on the actual mission, the conditions, the constraints of using flighters/bombs from the 2nd world war and much more. if you are interested in history, this is highly recommendable.

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"AND KILL MIGS" by Lou Drendel................or Col. Robin Olds autobiography...............the title of which escapes me.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My old buddy, Larry Blumer could have written a book about his escapades in his P-38 "Scrap iron" but he liked to tell it instead. He was knocked down by flak somewhere just inside the German lines and escaped capture for 8 days and made it back to British lines. He trashed 5 P-38's while he was in the 9th AF.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    All of Squadron/Signal's books on the Vietnam air war are worthwhile. They even have one from the other side's viewpoint.

20. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    "When Thunder Rolled: An F-105 Pilot over North Vietnam" was Ed Rasimus's first book and i found it to be a lot better then "Palace Cobra".

"100 Missions North: A Fighter Pilot's Story of the Vietnam War" by Ken Bell is good.

If you like WW2 aviation books i just finished "Stuka Pilot" by Hans Ulrich Rudel. It's a great read.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

"Your pickle is hot."

Matt

22. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    The other side´s view point? That sounds very intresting.. Do you have name/writer for a one?

23. finlandese

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    Haven´t read the Rudel´s book, but he definately had an intresting career!

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep. good book

finlandese would enjoy it also (very factual) if he could get over the non-fiction bump.