hesitant to park it anywhere. | FerrariChat

hesitant to park it anywhere.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Xeron, Dec 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Unlike the California that I had, the 458 attracts attention. A lot. I took it out to a store the other day,parked far away from everyone in the lot and 15 min later , when I came out, two people are sitting on the car posing for their cellphone cameras. Then another day I went out to dinner with my wife and Valet'd the car at a Vegas strip hotel. I told the valet to keep it close and don't drive it after giving him 40. When I returned, the car hadn't been moved, but looked like half a dozen people spit on it. I pointed it out to the valet who was apologetic and offered to wash it which I declined. interestingly, he also said that the week prior some drunk girl threw a full beer into a Spider that was parked in Valet and disappeared into a cab before they could nab her. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm starting to get nervous bringing the car out where people are.

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Merry Christmas...

I'm very sorry to hear your early days with the car have had some incidents. Unfortunately, some (few? many?) people have suffered everything from negativity to lack of respect to even physical "damage".

Frankly one of our big concerns with a (bright, shiny) Rosso 458 was the attention it would gather. So far - knock on wood - the experience has been all positive; in many ways much better than we had imagined.

Having said that, we're mindful of where we park/leave it and candidly most of the places it's been parked have been relatively secure suburban locations or very well supervised (and well paid valet, we keep the key) locations. I avoid places with drunk people with all my cars; who knows what may happen. As for people sitting on the car, that's rude anywhere and unfortunately, "respect for other people" is a value that is eroding.

While you've had a couple issues, I'd bet that over the long haul you'll have a much better experience. As for parking and leaving it, I've learned a lot from many threads on that subject here and from some local friends. At the end of the day, whether you're in a 458 or a 1982 Chevette, parking has risks!

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Try driving an Enzo.
    One owner commented that he felt like he was leading a parade every time he drove that car. The amount of attention was everywhere and unrelenting. However that didn't stop him from buying an extra Enzo some time later. So there you go; just enjoy the ride and accept all that attention that goes along with it...
    CH

4. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    It's just a car. In most cases, you get lots of finger prints. Relax and enjoy your car.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    If I lived in or around Vegas I would also be very careful about where I brought it. That is not to say that Vegans can't be trusted; it's the tourists there for a few days having varying degrees of luck, but having lots of booz and letting loose without a care for someone else's property.

At the other extreme, in and around SoCal where we house our FCars, various exotics and hypercars are very commonly seen in the street. That is not to say that a 458 won't get attention. It will, but the population is not as unpredictable -- at least I think not.

Maybe see how the Mayor weighs in. He has plenty of experience in Vegas.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    Your paranoia is justified. After over 2 years of ownership and from talking to fellow owners, I feel like I have heard it all in terms of bad behavior: hard to underestimate the lack of respect out there.

Consequently, I agree with the gentleman in the earlier thread (comparing the Ford GT to the 458) who said there are basically only 3 drives you can do in your Ferrari:

1. The "cars and coffee": weekend morning drive to park, watch your car, and socialize.
    2. The "track day": visit a track, do a few laps, realize Lewis Hamilton would jump off a bridge if he posted your "best" lap time.
    3. The "long drive": visit faraway people and hard to reach places at times when the roads are empty(ish).

I would daresay that most places you would valet park your car are not very suitable for a Ferrari. But that's why it's your third car...... right?

7. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    Agree with your last point...in fact if you have to show your car off by getting it parked on the front line you run those kind of risks...jealousy or whatever, there are a lot of nut cases that don't like you just because you DO have an F car...that why I take my mini cooper to fancy restaurants - no one gives a s--t and they leave it alone

8. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    #8 Cliff Torus, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I do not valet the Fcar and I don't really like to drive the Fcar at night.

Other than that. No problems here. the 360 gets alot of attention here. Haven't seen a local 458 here yet.

10. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #10 Noblesse Oblige, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our fancy restaurant car... an FCar .. of sorts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Cliff Torus

Cliff Torus Karting

Oct 10, 2012
    Fairfax County VA
    Full Name:
    Cliff Torus
    Strangers are the least of concern, most of the time it's the people you know doing the exact opposite to mitigate vulnerabilities.

12. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    I've had people spit on it.Scream at it,Take pictures and videos even asked if I would step out of the way while they were taking the picture,Phone #'s tucked in the windshield blade,Coffee poured on it and finger prints all over it all the time ,I don't let people valet it and I try to keep the car as close as possible .I never leave it anywhere over a long period of time and I go to places I know I wont have a problem parking it.It's all about the car and at times it makes me anti-social sound familiar?

13. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Reassuring to hear that everyone has the same concerns that I do.

I won't park in public lot (unless the lot is more than 50% empty and I can use 2 spots in the back.)

I won't consider a valet (this could possibly change in the future if I knew the venue, the valets, and could pre-select the location of the car).

I don't drive to work (less than 10 people at work know about the Italia).

I agree that sitting, spitting, pouring beverages on any car is completely unacceptable.

Touching (fingerprints) is a gray area.

14. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Add to yr. dilemma that it's a pain driving in gridlock, in pissing rain, when you have kids, a dog, need to buy groceries, and you begin to appreciate why our cars only accumulate 2-3K miles a year. They're beautiful but 100% impractical.

15. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

For all of what you said, and starting from Xeron's first words in this thread, it is why the Cali has become such a value prop for exotic car guys who want a user friendly fcar! Owning one had made me realize how fun it is to own an fcar That I have no problem valeting or bringing out to do chores on a Saturday. It truly makes you wonder....but not too long because the feeling behind the wheel of the 458 makes you recognize a whole different "value prop"!!

16. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    I can add these 2 as well
    I won't park in public lot (unless the lot is more than 50% empty and I can use 2 spots in the back.)

I don't drive to work (less than 10 people at work know about the Italia).

17. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I agree it's hard to park anywhere you can't see it. I am lucky so far. I have had my Murcielago spit on a couple of times, and my blk Ford GT spit on. Only one time did someone actually scratch any of my cars. A small key on my GT. But, I have to say the vast majority of the time 99.5 people have been respectful. I drive my cars all the time and leave them in parking lots and such. Most of the time people just take pictures and ask about the cars....Most people are great. They just love cars and such. It's only a few that are disrespect. It makes the 99.8 of the car loving respectful people look bad.

18. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You're singing my song. Best

19. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    You're not the one who is anti-social.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Still I have found that almost all people are OK with it. It seems to make people happier just to be around it; it has that kind of aura. That being said, "almost all people" still leaves a lot of loons.

And times are tough for many people and show no signs of getting better. The mood is not good, but "you get what you vote for."

21. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #21 RBK, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    I reside in Vegas and San Diego. "They" find your car no matter where it is parked.
    Usually its a short drive to dinner, and for me, I enjoy my meal more, not worrying about my car.

For most, the 458 is a well deserved and hard won "prize", something respected and cherished. At the same time, it is to be used and enjoyed, and each has to find their balance. However, to whomever says a 458 is "just a car", I wonder if someone chose to defecate on your floor, maybe on a valued rug, if your first words would be "its just a house?. Best

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Trade the 458 back for a California, 599 or F12, in Silverstone or some other relatively neutral color, and these kinds of troubles will mostly disappear!

23. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I suspect the next step would be to ride the bus. What happens when someone wants you to give them your seat? Best

24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I don't park mine anywhere I can't see it.

25. dkim996tt

dkim996tt Karting

May 16, 2006
    Gates Mills, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Kim
    Unfortunately it comes as part of the ownership experience. I personally found that it is best to have it parked front and center (valet) where it will get as much visibility as possible. I would never park it unattended as far away as that gives somebody the opportunity to do something without getting caught.