A visit to Atlanta Motorsports Park: | FerrariChat

A visit to Atlanta Motorsports Park:

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was such a perfect weather day that I just had to take the Ferrari out for a spin. My intent was to go to Wolf Mountain Vineyard for lunch, but I was informed that their tables were all booked. I had planned to stop at Atlanta Motorsports Park on the way, anyway, so I did just that.

I had not been there since the "Rides to Remember" event, and that was five months ago. A lot of building has happened since; there is still much to be done, but the track itself is fully finished and now has grass on the property, which makes it look that much more complete. Here are some photos I shot today. If you are a member or have been there recently, these won't tell you more than you already know, but for anyone who hasn't been there in awhile, these could prove quite revealing.

First off is the new gatehouse; everyone must stop, sign the usual release, and get a colored wristband. The first garage you've probably seen before, but the second one is essentially complete and will soon be open. A scoring tower has been erected in front of that second garage, and a temporary clubhouse, with two-level viewing platform, is now in front of the first garage.

The view from the upper level of the platform is decent enough, of cars in the pit lane and negotiating turn 6. You can see the kart track in the distance, with the turn 4 "carousel" at the right of the last photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Nov 3, 2012
    The shot looking down pit lane shows the very visible pit exit light, and the track's lights are, I'm told, identical to the equipment used on all modern F1 tracks. A number of neat marshal's stands have been erected, and aside from this one on pit lane (which is actually the start/finish flagstand), all were manned while cars were out on the track.

I then headed over to the scoring tower, from which the view is even better, where I took four photos that sort of show a panorama of most of the site, from right to left.

The last shot is another one of the kart track, which was quite busy while I was there. It is reached by a (currently) gravel road that runs along the outside of the big track from outside of turn 1.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #3 Gatorrari, Nov 3, 2012
    Next stop was AMP's version of "spectator hill". In the second-to-last photo above (the one with the white Porsche in the pit lane), you can see the hill in the infield just to the left of the very tall tree. Access is through a tunnel under the track at about the start of the front straight; you can't see it until you're almost upon it. (The "tunnel" is actually a large pipe; it reminded me of the similar pedestrian tunnels under the track at Watkins Glen.)

The view from up there is quite spectacular, including the kart track, the steep hill leading up from turn 11 to turn 12, and the kart paddock. In the first photo, the "pit" inside of the curved guardrail is actually the portal to the pedestrian tunnel. I also took a closeup of one of the course lighting panels, in this case showing a red-flag situation since the track had just closed for the lunch break. Finally, a couple of the neat cars parked by the first garage, which was quite active.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    anyone know whose kirkham that is ?

ive been wanting to get one... but havent seen one in person, ride, etc.......

H

5. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    +1 Saw my first one in person a few weeks ago at a local shop but it was being shipped to Australia. I would like to speak to an owner too.

6. kevinmosleyI

kevinmosleyI Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Mosley
    Certainly looks different from the last time I visited the facility (yes, all the way back in March)! Thanks for the update, Jim! -kevin

7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Too bad there will never be an actual race of any sort there. The noise restrictions are too restrictive.

SCCA tried and gave up-Even our cars are too noisy for the track.

Based on noise requirements even an Audi R18 LMP1 car would be too loud.

8. jenk12m

jenk12m Karting

Mar 26, 2007
    Sad that sound ruins a great place to be at