Anyone know this local 355? Toronto area | FerrariChat

Anyone know this local 355? Toronto area

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Carbuilder, Dec 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #1 Carbuilder, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The price seems very low:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-Ferrari-355-Coupe-RED-TAN-F1-W0QQAdIdZ441994875

I've talked briefly with the owner, and I'm going to see it. Was told the service is up to date, done at Forza. I Have the owners name, but would rather not post it. The one strange thing in the pictures he sent me is the additional gauge mounted in the centre console; I've seen this somewhere, but can't remember where. Maybe it will trigger with someone. Obviously any additional info on the car would be appreciated.

Thinking seriously of buying it.

Thank you,

Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    I don't know the car, but I agree the price seems low, especially with the km. is the gauge a voltmeter? Amperage? Strange place for that. Not factory at all. Also, the console behind it has been drilled through and wires coming through? What's that about. Did the seller say why they need to sell by Jan 15?

Please share what you find once you see the car, and absolutely get a ppi if you move on the car.

Vasco can your shop do ppis?

Chris

3. GRACEHMS

GRACEHMS Rookie

Sep 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    Seems strange that he needs to sell quickly, yet has no photos in his ad.

4. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dont know the car but from what I read in the add and see in the pic......Junker

5. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Curious what you read that makes it a junker?

I don't know if the current owner put in the gauge; I'll ask. The wire coming through the console has a connector (just out of the picture) for charging cell phone. I'm not crazy about either one of those "mods".

I don't know why he needs to sell it right away. I certainly think it is worth a look since it is way under market value, unless there is a serious issue with it. I asked the owner if there were any issues at all with it and he said no.

I'll let you know what I find out.

6. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    #7 ClassicFerrari, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Yes, what Rocco said.

Bu the looks of that small pic I can already tell the interior needs help :(

8. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the write up, says 39,000 miles, so likely a US car. Very strange photo to include; I'd also hazard a guess the interior isn't in great shape, though ad does say seats and steering wheel have covers which could imply beauty or beast underneath. But the write up also says it's in great shape, fully serviced, and comes forth with info its a 3 owner car. Doesn't say anything about accident history however. If you can get some clarity on 2-3 well directed questions (upholstry, exterior, accident history) and it sounds OK, I'd say worth a look. If the owner is truly motivated to sell by mid January, s/he should be really keen to come forth with all information sought, including a bunch of photos.

9. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Is it just me/my computer, or has he removed the pictures? The Kijiji ad is photo-less.

10. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Not seen this one in any meets..... But there are Many US cars being brought over. I suggest a ppi at a reputable shop will tell you the real condition. Although 45k is very low .... Maybe the owner wants a quick sell if he needs it gone by Jan!

Most interior mods can be undone..... Local suppliers, eBay and ricambi have many of these parts.

Ask for the vin and do a title search too with MTO.

Good luck..... Even if you spend 20k on it, you are still ahead.

11. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido

13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Have the manifolds been changed already? These are notorious for failing and cost big bucks...One valve replaced? This car has been beat, not to mention Bad interior... Walk away...

14. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1

The saying is you get what you pay for.

15. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Carbuilder, don't get me wrong I love the looks and especially the sound of the 355 (with Tubi) and if only $45,000 would get me a completely sorted out car I would jump on it, meaning value guides replaced, headers replaced, cats replaced, sticky interior parts re-finished, leather shrinkage repaired/replaced, air bag look at, all CEL dealt with and with a recent major service. When I went searching for that 355GTB three years ago I did not find it, maybe now they are out there but I don't think so, not for $45,000 anyways. As GerryD said take it to Daytona or another Ferrari shop for a PPI (not Forza) and good luck with it and your search.

16. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Relax guys, I'm not buying it without a PPI. I've already talked with Alex at Daytona to arrange it.

I'm also not walking away without knowing more about the car. I never said I expect a fully sorted out car for $45k. In fact I already said the issues I found with it. But if mechanically it is good and it needs money put into the interior, then it might be a great buy. Now if Alex tells me to walk away after the PPI, that's a different story.

Rick

17. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Good call. One step at a time. The Daytona boys will be up front with you and tell you Yay or Nay. What you (and other people) do with the advice is up to you.

Chris

18. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes, and that can be the hard part. You look at a beautiful car and you are told there are too many problems under the surface and you should walk away, but something keeps pulling you back. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry, it is very early in the year, and I don't have room in the garage anyways. Then again, when did logic ever come into a car purchase!

19. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    #19 Jay GT4, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    I'm going to predict this car won't need a mechanic...it'll need a priest... :) Hope it works out for you though.

20. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    LOL!

21. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Well once again best of luck. And dont be in a hurry as you say.

And by the way I responded to your email twice and sent you a PM (Private message) via ferrarichat. Not too sure if you got them or not...

Take care.

22. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well, I'm walking away. The current owner was very honest about the car (as far as he knew). I don't want to say too much, to put anyone down. All I will say is that the people at Daytona are fantastic. It was a real learning experience for me and the current car owner.

So the search goes on. Any leads on a good 355, must be red and must not be a convertible, pass it my way.

Rick

23. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    non spiders are harder to find.......keep searching and if you want to venture south...there are still some good ones...but not at 45K !.....if you spend a bit more...you can even get a nice 430...those have come down in price too......Vasco at Humberview can help you too source out....a nice one....they always have cool stuff.

24. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Thanks Sadi! I have spoken to Rick. It's too bad this one didnt work out but we all kinda predicted it. Good GTB's are really hard to find in almost any colour.

old story I know...but I sold 3 identical 95's a few years ago. 1 BC car and two T.O cars - all red/black GTB's and all went to Montreal in the same year tabernack!!!! :( Wish we had them back, I have more than a couple guys looking :)

25. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Looks like you can call the priest.