Linder Knocker E-type: is it real or re-creation? | FerrariChat

Linder Knocker E-type: is it real or re-creation?

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, Dec 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw picture once of this lightweight E-typpe roadster (with fastback roof added) and it looked pretty crumpled. Yet it lives today. I was wondering if those in the Jag community consider this present version a re-creation (which I gather to mean replaced chassis) or is it restored original (they unbent a car that had been crumpled end to end). Here's a brief story from a website

:http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jaguar/1964-jaguar-lindner-nocker-low-drag-e-type-ar109244.html

"This is the one and only factory low-drag lightweight Jaguar E-Type and is a vehicle that should have been laid to rest a long time ago. In fact, the Jaguar was thought to be dead until Peter Neumark of Classic Motors Cars breathed new life into the last racing car ever built at Jaguar’s factory.

Only twelve lightweight E-types were built by Jaguar’s competition department back in 1963, but only one returned to undergo preparatory work for the LeMans race later that year. Malcolm Sayer designed the vehicle to have a special low drag body that would be coupled to a highly modified engine. This combination was set to take LeMans by storm and lead driver, Peter Lindner, to victory. Unfortunately, while on the Montlhery circuit, something went terribly wrong causing a crash that would end up killing Peter Lindner and destroying the Jaguar E-type. Sayer himself said that the vehicle could not be repaired and that opinion was echoed in the 1970s when a second survey confirmed the vehicle’s fate.

Fast forward to 2007 when Peter Neumark entered the scene. Determined to revive the crumpled E-Type, Neumark set out to make history with one of the most complex restorations to ever take place in the world."

The story goes on from there (see website) but I am just interested in how the Jag community rules on this car? I guess I'm a strict constructionist (using Supreme Court language) about cars that have a new chassis...

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

they are pretty race cars! there certainly have been a bunch of recreations built over the years. many to a very high standard.

this one sure has a story.

3. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Google is your friend
    http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/general-classic-car-news/lindner-nocker-lightweight-revealed-after-huge-resto

The famed Lindner-Nocker Low-drag Lightweight Jaguar E-type was today revealed to the world after a mind-blowing 7000 hour restoration. The work was done at Classic Motor Cars of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, whose owner Pete Neumark owns the car. The company has previously restored 9600 HP, the original Geneva Salon coupé owned by Jag afficianado Philip Porter, and 1 VHP, aka Chassic number 1.

Every piece of metal was removed, flattened, then reshaped by craftsmen and, amazingly, they managed to salvage more than 90% of the original metal. The tricky Malcolm-Sayer designed low-drag bodywork – created specifically for Le Mans – alone took 5000 hours.

4. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    Another rare car is saved/recreated. Car enthusiast should applaud that.

5. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Octane magazine did a great story on tis car not too long ago . They claimed the job took 8000 hours but didn't startt until permission was granted from the deceased drivers family to do so. Once agreed the painstaking job began including using so much of the original car than upon completion less than a bushel of original unused scrap was left . The rest of course resulted in what is today a rolling history lesson for jaguar and racing enthusiasts alike.

This stuff inspires all of the lesser stories that make or hobby what it is!

Gary
    63 EtypeFHC

6. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Well you have to undestand this is not just any old restoration. It took 7 or 8000 hours to complete, was done by one of the foremost etype resto companies in the world and they have retained 90% of the original parts. This is pretty significant imo with respect to maintaining its significance or provenance. in fact I'd say this qualifies as a pretty major undertaking and as such easily compares with similar restorations on major works of art and other antiquities. As such personally I have no problem acknowledging this as genuine and pukka....

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 msdesignltd, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    I drove a Vicarage edition about 10 years ago..in Conn. it was for sale for $110,000.00
    Visually to Die for.. I am 5'11".. and could not get my head upright within the cabin..
    The molds are in England , this one was aluminum...I probably would have bought it as it was the only one of 2 in the states back then..They raked the windscreen and lowered the roof..the side sill is high to begin with so it was very claustrophobic to say the least..the 3/4 rear view was also non ...
    Cool, There were Rivets everywhere.

I would keep it in garage as a looker..It was a single purpose car for sure.

Funny the owner had just Died and they were selling his collection of cars, which included a D and an SS replica as well..I think I remember a Shelby car as well not the Cobra, the Aurora V6
    They were all housed in a nice barn garage

I believe this is the exact car

http://www.5speeds.com/lowdrag/ldreview.html
    http://www.vicarage-jaguar.com/ldphotos.html

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AcxV3XyxEI&feature=related[/ame]

9. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Read that story in Octane and thought what a great project. To REPAIR rather than replace was the purpose and it sure added thousands of hours to the project. But it kept the originality of the car (pre accident) intact.