The Great Adventurer Colin Crabbe | FerrariChat

The Great Adventurer Colin Crabbe

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Dec 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was trying to look up if it was a D-type he found in Cuba but
    found he had found a Ferrari as well.--a V12 TR spec engine'd Ferrari 500 TRC.

A british website called racecar.com says the car was originally sold by the factory and dispatched to the Cuban Racing Team, Scuderia Cuba. After a chequered history Colin brought the back from Cuba in the 1980's and in the absence of the original 4 pot - installed a 250 TR spec motor. Back in the 1990s he was offering it for seven figures.

I wondered what chassis number that was and if there's a story inprint on how he discovered and bought it--a story which tells how much he paid for it. I expect the four cylinder engine that was supposed to be in it was a lot more costly to replace than the V12 he was using.

I talked to Crabbe at Monterey one year but our conversation then was about a trip to Madagascar which doesn't involve Ferrraris (I'll tell you the story if anybody asks...)

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I typed his name into Google and was refererd to a website called WPA (I thought that was the initials of the FDR era public works agency) but anyhow on this site they have amazing footgage of a light colored two seater racing on a race through the city streets from above as it spins out. It appears a body is lying across the hood of the car. See if you can open this website.

http://www.wpafilmlibrary.com/detail/disaster_at_cuban_grand_prix_after_fangio_kidnapping_fangio_kidnapped_cifuentes_drives_into_crowd_at_cuban_grad_prix/5e3f79f6-5550-a438-b47a-926b3a31c347.html

Maybe the car was impounded by the government after the accident and the car held so many years until Crabbe worked it loose some decades later. I know when Ford crashed some Ford GTs the wrecked cars were held at Holman & Moody for many years in case there were lawsuits, etc. Of course back then they also had a habit of burying cars that had crashed with loss of life (like Hansgen's car at LeMans practice)

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, this is that car.

Yes, this is what happened.

5. odin

odin Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    it was a nice deal, 72 classic Cars, in exchange for 72 Ladas (for the owners) and some money for some Cuban VIP's, but it was not Colin, who made the deal. He only sold some of them.