I guess I caught you all comming back from the Yard House.. | FerrariChat

I guess I caught you all comming back from the Yard House..

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by mbmike, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Today was a pretty good day for seeing some Ferraris :) My day was set when I saw a red 355 spider on Sepulvida in Manhattan Beach, but oh was there more to come!

I went down to the Beach Club in Palos Verdes to study for an econ test I have tomorrow, and on the way there caught a red classic Ferrari - don't know which model number....

On the way back, I passed by a yellow 355 Spider that had bene pulled over by the police. A few blocks later, caught a whole row of Ferraris parked by the side! I almost didn't pull over, because I have a headache so bad I could cry, but my insticts told me it was an F-Chat group, and I was right :)

Hopefully one day I'll be joining that line of fine cars...

2. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Yep, that yellow 355 Spider was me... Someone who will remain unnamed in a RED Ferrari crosses the double yellow lines and into the lane of oncoming triffic to make a pass and what do you know -- a cop crests the hill in the oncoming lane and immediately flips on his lights. Cop pulls a u-turn and starts passing some of the Ferraris behind me but is clearly not going to be able to catch the red car in front of me. So he pulls me over and the conversation goes something like this:

Cop (clearly pissed off): "Good afternoon. I just saw you cross the double yellow lines to pass several cars and that is reckless driving."

Me (upset because it wasn't me!): "Officer, that wasn't me! We know our cars stand out so all of us always obey all traffic laws. In fact, we were all just in a line minding our own business and going the speed limit."

Cop: "I'm not going to argue with you. I want your license and registration."

He goes back to his car with my info and another cop car pulls up behind him and gets out. They chat for awhile and the first cop comes back to me.

Cop (still a little pissed): "I have to tell you, I wasn't 100% certain I saw _you_ cross the double yellow line, so I cannot ticket you for that. But I'm sure you did something wrong today, so I'm going to write up a warning for having no front plates."

Me: "What's that mean?"

Cop (in a suddenly chipper mood): "Oh, nothing... So tell me about the car. I saw this blue 360 that's up the street -- you know the ones with the glass over the engine covers? How much do those go for? Does it handle well? What is the difference in price between a 360 coupe and convertible? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? What do you do for a living? Have a nice day and tell your friends to drive safely!"

So everything worked out in the end -- and I appreciate the rest of you waiting up for me!

3. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Damn! Good job standing your ground.

What city were you in? Long Beach, San Pedro (L.A.P.D.) or Palos Verdes? At least you just got the front license plate warning/ticket ... I got pulled over too a couple of week ago for the same thing - the City (San Diego) is broke, so all the police are revenue seekers. Glad it all work out, for the most part.

Ciao

4. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Palos Verdes.

5. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    wow good story! thats two times in a row on events that an officer has gotten the caravan and let us go!

6. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    That's not the whole story.

In Long Beach after some very spirited driving on Shoreline Drive (on the second time around, yes we weren't smart enough to make one run and hightail it so the cops had time to converge) a bunch of us were coming to the end of Shoreline up to Ocean Blvd. A Long Beach cop puts his lights on, siren I think and comes roaring up behind all of us. He blocked us in the lane and another cop car also came roaring up.

He hit the bull horn and said something to the effect.."This is not a race track this is Downtown Long Beach. You have nice cars but slow it down and drive safely."

Then he let us go on our way. A few of the front runners had already split and went into a parking area to hide (he he).

That was really something.

Later in the day, after Jeremy was stopped, Costa and a red Viper got into it in Manhattan Beach.

They dragged off the line for a block. Costa's brakes worked like they should and he stopped for the next stop sign. The Viper could not make the stop and after skidding for a while, gave it up and went on through the intersection.

A bit later in Marina Del Rey these high performance bikes decided to show off for us. At the light we pulled up next to 5 or 6 bikes. Their jaws dropped when they saw us but they recovered and decided to do the standing wheel spin. About 4 were doing it at the same time. It completely covered Costa's 550 in smoke. I expected one of them to lose control and start a chain reaction but it worked out.

All in all it was a great day.

7. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Where in Manhattan Beach did you guys go?

8. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Wow what a day! thanks for telling ROn- missed all the action!

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    That's when I ran into you guys. I spotted the lead 308 from about 1000 yards out.

You guys should come with us on one of our (Porsche) Mulholland runs. The roads down here just aren't the same as canyon carving.

Speaking of which, this is a great site:

http://www.mulhollandraceway.org/

-Wayne

10. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Wayne,
    It was great to meet you... what a chance sighting!
    I hope your wife got the ice cream she was hoping for! :)
    Maybe we'll run into you again in the malibu canyons sometime!:)

Byron

11. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    Jeremy,
    I owe you dinner.........Wow what a ride!!!

12. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, it was quite random. Too bad I didn't have a chance to chat more - but when the wife's happy, I'm happy.

She got some expresso ice cream about 10 minutes later...

:)

-Wayne