Owner experience 612 | FerrariChat

Owner experience 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Michael_360_Modena, Nov 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael_360_Modena

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi, I am keen to learn the reliability experience of 612 owners, particularly those with older models and or higher mileage? Also keen to learn service costs. I have many years experience of the V8 cars, but with kids etc am keen to go 4 sweater thus V12. Thanks in advance. Michael

2. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    Same interest...subscribing...

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its worth looking thro this section as approximately every tenth thread gives you some background information to help resolve your dilemma

4. Michael_360_Modena

Jun 28, 2011
    Have read the section. All good stuff, am seeking more detail.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I have had my 612 too short (3 months) to provide you any long term info, but so far so good. Mine is a 2007 HGTC 612 F1 with just under 10k miles. Due to the reliability of the 612, the selling Ferrari dealer suggested to not renew the CPO warranty (expired shortly after purchase) and save the $. F1 clutch is at 70% remaining. CA smog was not a problem - squeaky clean on the dyno. Besides, the emissions warranty is 8 years.
    Jes

6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Bought my 2009 OTO with 1,900 miles in Feb. Now has 5,600 miles. Not a single problem yet. Annual service cost me $800 last month at an independent shop. Seems like a very solid, well built car so far.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've owned my OTO since new in 2008. Very solid car, no major issues to speak of. A look through this forum will identify the main ones-- weak window switches, fuel level sensor (fixed by a campaign), on mine the microphone for the bluetooth system was bad.

All in all, it would be a pretty short list for a Toyota, let alone a Ferrari!

8. Michael_360_Modena

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Like many I am seeking the manual car, here in the UK they are scarce but not impossible to find. I think that I won't find a manual car built post 2007. We all know Ferrari evolve their cars through customer experience. Any owners of early cars care to comment? Seems from the forum posts that the OTO made things nicer but didn't fix issues as it didn't need to? Lastly, any owners with cars with high mileage 50k plus?

9. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Sold mine a few months ago, an '08 with 23,000 genuinely trouble free miles on the clock.

Wonderful cars, lovely looker too.

10. Michael_360_Modena

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks John. Did you use a franchised agent to service it or Indy? Either way, what kind of service costs, I have come out of a 360 which was good although a bit tinny, but to be fair was £550/annul oil service and £1200 every 3 for belts. What costs are associated with the 612 in your experience?

11. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry, just saw your questions.

Service was all main dealer, it just helps with resale/trade-in and I bought the extended warranty so didn't have much choice. Costs were around £1,200/year.

Bigger cost was tyres, although you'd be better off with Michelin super sport for durability than the stock Pirelli's.

Biggest cost versus a 360 will be fuel.........the V12's really like a drink. I was getting around 11mpg around town tops.

They're a really, really nice car. You grow into them. They have a chassis you can trust and you can push it with predictability if that's your thing.....especially compared to a 599.

Good luck with it.

12. Michael_360_Modena

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks John for return. Very best,

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They do go through tires, although I don't think any worse than any comparable high performance car.

14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Sold my manual 612 a couple months ago to Carrs in Exeter, and they do still have it I think. 12000 miles, Grigio alloy with carte de zucherro interior. Sat nav, iPod connection etc etc.

Was a great car, 2006/56, bought it new, no real issues at all, any that turned up were sorted by the main dealer. They tend to chafe me around £800 for annual service. Had the belts done 2010, four brand new tyres in June this year (although they have changed my wheels for the split rims on the website, so not sure if tyres were switched or not). Went for the Pirelli p zero, and I don't reckon there would have been more than 500 miles done on them so far

Why not ring them and book a test drive, you will love it

15. Michael_360_Modena

Jun 28, 2011
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- Belt change interval on the 612 is five years vs the three years of the 360. Changed to five years very early in 575M production and the 612 has essentially the same engine as the 575M.

17. BB456MGT

BB456MGT Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos
    Owned mine for close to 3 yrs. '05, 6MT, currently with 12.6K miles on the clock (bought it w/7K miles). Annual oil services and just had to replace a cracked/leaking hydraulic fluid tank. Other than that it has been running like a dream. Love it and always debating whether it should be my daily driver...

18. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Took my lovely 612 for a spin on the weekend after a few weeks without starting it, did not miss a beat. totally reliable, beautiful and zero compromise for the added family flexibility. I LOVE this car - and had a 328, 512TR and 360 Spider before it which I also loved but with a family you just need those extra seats...and seriously there is ZERO compromise...through and through Ferrari but modern, reliable and wonderful to look in the mirror and see your kids.

19. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Have had my 06 for almost 4 months. I am amazed at how civilized this car is. I was leery of the F1 paddles before I purchased but now it is second nature for me and the transmission is ultra smooth.

As a daily driver (2-4x per week), I find this car as enjoyable as any large sedan under normal conditions, but in twisties or a wide open stretch of road, it puts a smile on my face in a way that a Porsche never has.

Such a great experience - really no compromises with this Fcar.

20. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I now have 28k miles on my manual 05. The only issue was the tire pressure sensors needed to be replaced because their batteries had died, which seems quite normal. Besides that, no issues really. Very solid car.

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Would love pics of this beauty. (And maybe SN if you feel inclined)

22. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    #22 SciFrog, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    The pics are somewhere here on the forum. Let me see I can dig them up...

Mmmm nope...

It is a TDF blue/crema with 20" aftermarket wheels...

23. Espressor

Espressor Rookie

Oct 29, 2012
    Have an 05 with 23,000 miles. Had it for 2 yrs. Runs fine. Looks great. Trouble with simple stuff like switches. Window switch broke. Side view mirror switch broke. Also coughs sometimes during startup. Always has. Even after Ferrari services. Annoying. Otherwise superb engine and love having 2 seats in the back for my 2 little ones.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Try a can of Techron (or other fuel injector cleaner like Redline) to cure that rough start. Had the same problem on my 575M, and after treatment I now get smooth, high idle starts.

25. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Have exactly the same issues. Amazing how Ferrari let the quality control slip on these little things. Fortunately, I've found I can get parts out of the UK and repair myself for about a third of the cost of stateside dealer. I suppose it helps me to 'bond' with the car!