Will Ferrari ever make another manual transmission? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari ever make another manual transmission?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Owain, Jan 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heavier? No, the DCT is heavier than the old f1 superfast (which is the same trans as the manual, just with hydraulic automation).

If one really wanted a manual shifter it'd be doable electronically, though it'd take a lot of electrical fine tuning to get it to behave like a real manual. You'd probably shorten the life of the clutches in the trans as you wouldn't be able to perfectly (or close to perfectly) rev-match like the ecu, but it'd be doable. Since they're wet clutches, they'd last longer than those in a conventional trans anyways but probably a lot more expensive to fix.

It'd go something like this - clutch pedal controls the clutch of the current gear selected, so if you press clutch in 1st, it releases clutch on cog 1-3-5-7. Then you shift to 2 and clutch control shifts to the 2-4-6 cog. You let clutch out and it lets the 2-4-6 clutch out and you've shifted gears. If you don't use the clutch, the computer does it for you including rev-matching - kind of like the old valeo mondials (and the one off f-40). There shouldn't be a problem as the trans won't care if you have a longer delay between engaging clutches, just a shorter one than 20ms to avoid 2 gears being engaged at once. If you skip gears it'll act a little unnaturally as it'll have to sequentially go through them, but that's not too big a deal as you probably won't be skipping gears when driving aggressively and that's when you'd want to simulate a true manual anyway.

2. schroed911

schroed911 Rookie

Oct 6, 2012
    Norcal
    I agree with Jazzy preferring the Ferrari paddle shifters vs. up down on both sides of the steering wheel. I had a 2006 M5 and the paddles were attached to the steering wheel moving as you turned the wheel. I prefer the Ferrari fixed position. The moving paddles were more of a problem than up/down on both sides.

3. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I used challenge paddles on my Scuderia. Huge improvement

4. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #54 GWARREND, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    I had an M3 w SMG. Great for track (10% of the time) but boring as a DD. My current M3 is a 6MT.

My friend with a Scud and other friend that bought a DCT M3 have both said their next car will again have a clutch (bored). Another friend had PDK and just ordered a 6MT 991.

Glad to see there are a lot of purists out there that still get it.

5. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    There is nothing like a smooth heel-and-toe downshift so I don't think the purists will give this up any time soon. Manual shifting is a tangible driving characteristic different than carbs or power steering. I think you will see manual transmissions for years to come, but they will only be available in true driver's cars and that is not what Ferrari and Lambo cater to today.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That ship has sailed as the manufactures are telling you you have to like paddles etc.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you can get a manual in any car you want. just ask and pay.

i have seen them in all the present cars except a 458 - and i know a few exist there too.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    . I think you will see manual transmissions for years to come, but they will only be available in true driver's cars and that is not what Ferrari and Lambo cater to today.[/QUOTE]

Too true.

9. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think manuals are going to come back. Cars are getting and are going to continue to get so fast, and so advanced and efficient with handling, acceleration, computer helpers, etc, that its going to start to become pointless. I believe things will eventually come back around to fun and driving enjoyment. I mean eventully the fastest cars will be the ones that you let drive themselves. I think manuals and smaller cars/smaller motors will start to make a comeback.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wish you were right, but "heel-and-toe" is probably more associated with Christian Louboutin than Ferrari or Porsche.

Manual shifting will probably last as long the internal combustion engine is around, but the old style manual clutch pedal is, as I posted earlier, the equivalent of the rotary dial telephone: it takes skill to dial it quickly, but it's an inferior design that slows you down.

11. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #61 Finlander, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hated the PDK on the 997 for the same reasons......the 991 is much better....and you can order a steering wheel with proper paddles- right side up...left side down
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm not sure that manuals will come back but the next one off we're developing will be a
    bit like you describe. Under 2000lb, small TT motor and be much more of a modern
    Dino Competizione than a hyper monster. Been there, done that and Love Ferrari
    P 4/5 by Pininfarina a lot but our next one will be a lot smaller and agile.

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sounds yummy!!

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What's old..will be new again.

15. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #65 fvracing, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    This is a doom and gloom situation for me. Love the look of the 458 but its the last sports car I would buy, because of the paddle shift. It seems even Porsche is pushing us purists away from stick shift. Who on earth would want a 7 gear stick? Talk about confusing.

Yes the automatic can make any idiot sound like they know how to drive, but we all have to wonder if the driver knows the first thing about heel and toe. I'm tired of people comparing stick to cassette tapes etc and calling it archaic. The stick is like a grand piano and the auto gearbox is like a player piano. One is designed to let the driver be expressive as they drive, the other, you're along for the ride.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great description.

17. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Beautiful!!!!

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1 Million!!

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I personally like the manual/3-pedal system, but to each his own.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is an interesting way of looking at it :)

21. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    current exotic/super car/ sports car offered with manual trans option:

aston martin v8vantage, v12vantage, dbs
    audi r8 v8/v10
    corvette base, z06, zr1
    porsche 911, cayman, boxster
    bmw m3, m5
    lotus evora, elise

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Cadillac CTS-V.

23. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    #73 tonyhemet, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    Who on earth would anyone want a 7 speed stick ? Talk about confusing.
    The vehicle I drive for work has a 9 speed stick including 2 reverse gears, nothing confusing here.
    The vehicle I learned on had 2 sticks, a high / low range switch, 21 forward gears and 3 reverse gears.
    I really love automatics, little to none of that silly driver input stuff.
    Eventually cars will be like toasters; sit in take a nap, presto! Your at grandma's house.
    Someday when I retire, I can look back and have fond memories of being part of the driving experience.
    Rather than a passenger on a bus waiting for the driver to call out your stop.

24. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Although I would prefer the responsiveness of a normally aspirated engine (versus TT), the small and agile approach is right up my alley...especially a car with design heritage clearly tied to P3/4 and therefore your P4/5. In street trim, such a car in spyder or barchetta configuration would be perfection for me.

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Exactly why the paddle shift is here to stay. You can have a ton of money but have absolutely no clue how to drive a car (that is if you even take it out of the garage). Making this buyer feel like he is Schumaker in the car sells more of your car.

Old timers like me prefer rowing the gears.. and mastering driving the car around a corner without the nannies.

"I don't even know what a PDK is... but I know I want it"