Enzo Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

Enzo Battery Replacement

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by AEHaas, Apr 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    #1 AEHaas, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The FIAMM VR 680 has done well in my Enzo for over 4 years but getting a NEW battery proved to be problematic. It is not made for any other car and if you buy one it may be DOA as it was probably sitting on a shelf for years before.

I purchased the Braille B7548 lead acid battery. It is 31 AmpHrs I think. It has a very low internal leakage. Ferrari of Tampa Bay is using a lot of Braille batteries in many applications. I also like the Braille charger/trickle charger characteristics. It can charge a few amps as needed. The best thing is that it floats at a constant voltage of 13.15 volts when fully charged. Unlike constant current chargers, this will not "cook" the battery. It can probably charge for months safely.

Although the overall amperage capacity is half of a normal sized battery the load CCA is superior for a quick start with low voltage drops. The fit required minimal adjustment, almost a drop-in. The fuse box on the positive terminal needed a clockwise twist off center because of the over-top clamp location but otherwise there is plenty of room. The battery also weighs in at less than half the weight. I also put a small shim up front to prevent it from sliding forwards.

aehaas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Where exactly does the Enzo hold its battery if I may ask?

3. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    'The front trunk space. You can see the brake master cylinder on the right in the picture. Normally there is a bin, removed, that covers this area and acts as a trunk space.

aehaas

4. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    The real test is to see how it performs when powering your Wilsons!! ;)

:)

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thank you very much for the information sir!

6. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    #6 AEHaas, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Braille brand battery I put in the Enzo died. I left a light on and the battery went dead. It was never the same after that. So I did more research:

Interstate has an EXACT replacement, the Mega-Tron MT 90. Better yet is the slightly taller with 15% more AmpHrs, the MT 47. I bought this and dropped it in. Although it is a half inch taller there is still 3/4 inch of clearance from the bottom of the trunk tub to the top of the positive terminal fuse box. Otherwise it is a drop in fit with all the appropriate flanges on the base of the battery. Again, both group 90 and group 47 batteries have the appropriate case flanges on the bottom of the battery and fit perfectly.

The actual part number of the 1/2 inch taller Mega-Tron Plus group 47 battery that I used is the MTP-47/H5. It has a 3 year free replacement warranty.

Happy New Year,

ali

Here is the best battery chart I have ever seen off the Exide battery web site:

7. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Very interesting. Batteries are always an issue with these cars. I have found Interstate to be a good source of reliable batteries with a wide range of choices.

8. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Another important thing is to get a NEW battery, not sitting on the shelf forever. I went directly to the distributer in Sarasota and got a fresh battery. It was stamped as being manufactured Jan. 2013. Now THAT is fresh.

aehaas

9. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I put an Interstate battery in the Enzo. It works great and fits perfectly.

Be sure to turn off the battery switch when replacing the battery. I forgot to do that and it caused a fault in the dash. There was no way to fix it (we tried) so we needed to buy a new dash. Ferrari NA said the dash was good since it passed their test, but we found otherwise. They're very reluctant to send out new dashes because then need to program it for the car's mileage and that could be tampered with.

10. Lou Cerchio

Lou Cerchio Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Louis Cerchio
    I am looking a replacement Battery for a 2003 Enzo. Best available today?
    Thanks in advance
    Lou

11. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would still use a Interstate. They seem to last awhile.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Braille.

Ray