Does Anyone See Some F12 in the New 'Vette? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Does Anyone See Some F12 in the New 'Vette?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Noblesse Oblige, Jan 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Would look a lot better with those round tail lights instead of the Batman mask. Then again, the tail would be pure GT-R.

2. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    someone must have forgotten there is another seat in the interior

the front looks good but the back a little overdone still not a bad effort

3. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Not from an 'in person point of view', but I like the looks of the C7 more than the F12 in these two pictures.

4. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    #54 fire_n_ice, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    actually in the side profile that you posted I think it compares quite well with the F12. The leading edge of the front bumper looks lower and more taut. Less of a vertical brick meeting the oncoming air. The wheels seem more proportionate where the F12 rims look a bit too oversized for me. I think the F12 has a sleeker cockpit and roofline as well as the line rising over the hip is sexier. I like how the vette's rear tucks under though, it appears tighter and more dynamic than the F12 which seems to droop some at the back down by the exhaust, at least when viewed from the side. The last few vette's have not been gorgeous and while the z06 and zr1 improved as they went, compared to the base C6 this is very dynamic looking. They've followed some trends for sure but overall they updated the look which is what they needed to do. They'll sell boatloads of them. plus you know they will race it in alms and at lemans and I'm sure it is going to look properly bada$$ as a racecar.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I agree. That had a good thing going but destroyed it with the rear and that strange interior. I personally felt a let down when I saw the rear. Looking at the front and side showed a stunningly taut, modern, and well integrated appearance. Then came the rear. Simply awful. What an opportunity lost.

6. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    I'll wait to see the rear in person. online photos always make cars seem tall and skinny. this vette is supposed to be lower and wider than the C6 which is already a very low and wide car. so the rear may look better in person I'm thinking. would have preferred the round lights myself, though.

7. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I don't see much similarity to the F12. I think there is only so many basic shapes for a front engine, rear drive, big power coupe. I think saying the two cars look alike is like saying all rock music sounds alike. Sure it has a typical beat and there are usually guitar solos.

Its a shame because I think the problem for the Corvette has always been its been seen as plasticy and this one doesn't change that. I was hoping to like it more. I just don't.

In contrast, I think the F12 is a masterpiece. But that's just one person's opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Instead of the Stingray, they should have called it the FF (Fake Ferrari). :)

Take a look above at the Vette and F12. Now, look at the wheels. Now, look at the difference in size of the brake discs. The F12 is amazing.

9. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    The interior is identical to the Murcielago's.

10. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    I guess it's a matter of opinion but I really am impressed with the new Corvette. I was at the press event last night in Detroit and saw the car in person. It may not be a Ferrari but its a fraction of the price...

11. p.roma

p.roma Karting

Mar 29, 2006
    Sorry to say... but I am NOT a Corvette fan and this thing is gorgeous. They've knocked it out of the park and surprisingly so.

Aggressive, all new and highly relevant - this is what a modern sports car should be. Had they continued on with the blob styling theme of the C5 and C6, the Corvette would have died.

This article hit the nail on the head: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-11/corvette-not-just-for-successful-plumbers-with-new-design.html

Not meaning to offend, but I think the problem here lies with the fact that they never intended the C7 to speak to its typical demographic. This car is meant to live on bedroom walls of 12 year olds and inspire a new generation of enthusiast.

Job well done.

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I have to disagree with most of you here.
    Car looks business,very sharp and modern but still easily recognizable as Corvette.
    Interior is finally up to the standards of most cars at $100k plus.
    Show me a better performing and better looking sports car under $100k......
    It's the first Vette I would gladly spend $$ on (if my wife wasn't such a snob and was a little bit more open to anything beside Ferraris)

13. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    The first thing I thought when I saw this new Vette was how similar it looked to the F12. We can criticize it all we want but at about less than a fifth the cost of an F12 you can't argue it's a tremendous value, especially for those who can't afford a Ferrari right now. I, myself, would be scared about having this C7 in my garage next to my 430 as I would be tempted to sell the 430 and drive this Vette for a while until the 458 replacement comes out.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't think cost should be a factor. I have one of my guys who bought the FR-S and it's 1/3 the price of a Vette. It's a hell of a lot of fun and pretty good looking as well. Talk about value for money...

So, is the FR-s better than the Vette because it's so cheap? I don't think so.

No one argues the Vette's value for money. What we argue is: Is this really the best we can do with a car like this?

15. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California

I'll be the last one to argue here that a Vette is better than an F12 because it's so cheap. Cost should always be a factor when you compare two cars, more fare to compare evenly priced cars than one costing over five times more. I think what I'm talking about is what a tremendous value the C7 is, just as the FR-S is a great value compared to the Vette. For $60-70K, I think this new Vette is pretty much as close to doing the best GM can do with this car. They're not charging $100K or more for it so I can accept any shortcomings that come with this Vette.

16. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    The new Vette just doesn't do it for me. With all of their talent and money, GM should set the standard as they did in the early years of this model.

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i kind of like it. it looks a bit busy with all those contrasting colored scoops and vents etc, so i think if you chose a body color that would mask or mute the contrast, like anthracite, it would look pretty good. the objections to the rear will also fade with a color change.

the interior is a copy of the 'driver focused' dash like the aventador, and again looks better without contrasting trim - ie, make the dash all black, and it doesnt look so bad at all. the seats are likely better than they first appear.

the performance will be mega, and likely as good as a scud, for 20% of the price of an f12. good value for those who like the design.

the vette demographic is not the same as ferrari, or porsche, or lambo....their competition in the looks department is the viper. that is why the styling is exaggerated and does not appeal to many on this board.

(btw, i prefer the viper styling).

18. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #68 Noblesse Oblige, Jan 15, 2013
    Good thoughts. I liked it until I saw the rear which is ruinous. It's Ok for styling to be over the top but it should integrate (go together).

Now here is a great application of Corvette technology. Take the ZR1 engine, install it in the beautiful Fisker Karma sedan (after ripping out those fiery electricals) to create a 638 hp sedan of great distinction http://www.motorward.com/2013/01/naias-2013-destino-corvette-powered-fisker-karma/ A Bob Lutz product. It even has an Italian sounding name: Destino. My point is that Americans can make world competitive and beautiful cars -- but you have to want to.

19. peter1020

peter1020 Karting

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't think the corvette is such a great value. It will likely lose as much value in absolute terms as the F12 will do in the first 2-3 years, and GM will sell as many as they can, and if they had it their way, we'd see the car everywhere. So, in sum, the F12 is original, well-thought, beautiful, rare, will hold its value better, and it's a Ferrari V12. The Corvette has none of these qualities. So, no I don't think the corvette is a better value. It's just a cheaper car.

20. flagger

flagger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2011
    West Virginia
    Agree

It never ceases to amaze me as we criticize car development. In any given iteration of a car, there are critics that say they should have left the design to the engineers since designers do not know how to extract performance and often hurt performance in the name of design. While others say the designers need to have a freer hand and not be hampered by the marketing people, etc. . . . With that being said, I work in the software industry and programmers make very poor designers of the "user experience" (aka interface). There has to be a collaborative effort to insure someone can sit down and intuitively work their way through the system functions, as intended, without the need for a 50 page manual (Porsche's PCM is a good example of how not to do it). As for the interior, I agree, color is going to make a big difference in how it ties together (in a picture), but if you look at a 458, everything is canted to the driver and the passenger is left to look out the window. The integration should be between the driver and the car, not the passenger and the car. The center display does look confusing in the pictures, but may be quite logical in operation. I suppose they should have just displayed a picture of the crossed flags as Ferrari does with its screens (Cavallino Rampanti). The "Oh Sh@t" handle for the passenger seems to be a little overdone, but perhaps with the lateral acceleration the car is probably capable of generating, it may be appropriate. It does look like they done a very nice job with the seats (always a big issue for me) and the surface materials.

Back end is a problem and I'm not sure round tail lights are going to make it any better. I'll have to wait and see in person. Aero treatment should be interesting in analysis. Front splitter is pretty agressive for a base street car.

Cost is everything. It defines the target market for the car. If I want a real performance car, but can't afford more than $100K, I'm not looking at a Ferrari, Aston, McLaren, GT-R, etc. I'm looking at a car that costs less than $100K and gives me the performance I'm seeking.

Mayor: "What we argue is: Is this really the best we can do with a car like this?"

Strange statement. Not really sure what it means. A car like what? Is this the best we can do for $60K? Probably - given the performance and engineering that has gone into the vehicle. Is this the best we can do for $300K? Probably not, but that is not the target market. It is interesting that all the "experts" immediately compare the $60K Corvette to cars in the $300K price range. Using your Toyota FR-S reference (Toyota makes great cars for its target market) - I've not heard one person compare a $25K FR-S to a Corvette.

As for where I stand on the Corvette, (you've already gotten a boatload of my opinions). I think it is a work in progress until I can see it in person. Styling is a little on the agressive/hard edged side for my tastes (I've never been a fan of the Enzo, but I like the F50 very much, which many do not). I personally like a little smoother flow from front to back (ala 458), but that flow/integration may make itself more apparent when I can walk around the car. (Still not a big fan of the Camero rearend). Performance wise, dollar for dollar there is probably nothing out there that can beat it, especially when the Z06/R-1 are introduced. A real tribute to GM engineering for its new engine, chassis and suspension. I have no doubt the Corvette faithful will be lining up and I suspect, based on some of the comments I've read, there will be new Corvette converts, particularly when some of the road tests start appearing.

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    respectfully, you are wrong.

this car will be somewhere around 75k all in. the f12 is more like 350k all in. 3 years later, the vette will be a 35-40k car, having lost half its value. the f12 will also have lost about 30-40% of its value, and that will take it to 200-250k. and that doesnt even take into account the differences in mileage costs.

that calc equals better value for the vette.

would it be my choice? no. but there is no disputing the value for performance that the vette provides those who cannot afford to lose the value of 1-2 entire corvettes during the same period of f12 ownership.

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I like it a lot and look forward to seeing it racing which sadly an F12 never will.

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #73 ross, Jan 15, 2013
    here is what i was talking about. in this color, the doodads dont jump out at you, and you can appreciate the lines.

24. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    I think I disagree with a lot of you. It's a rip off sure. But it doesn't look bad. Just a bit unrefined. By that I mean: you have vents going backwards and forwards on the side, you have a werid emblem (?) on the hood, the hood is all bulbous and gawky, the skirts look bolted on like some sort of aftermarket thing, the rear wing also looks bolted on and not integrated, the rear is goofy especially the black part on the bottom. Compare that with the F12's more organic look with swoops on the side rather than hard angles. I guess it's a take off the cadillac design but I think it just needs a little refinement.
    Also note the rear vent over the rear wheel, heh looks familiar. (550-F12)
    Interior? Well, it's a little better. I guess. Note the cheap pieces still there though. Like the vents that are from the Chevy bin. The knobs that are from the bin and the STILL cheap plastic around the window controls and in th dash. Why oh why can't they just use some premium product in there rather than that cheap black plastic??? Seriously, I don't understand that. Oh and the seats are lame.
    Overall though, looks wise I'd give it a thumbs up. Just wouldn't buy one.

25. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Im glad this is the case as you really do have to see a car in person. I'll take your word for it for now. I think as sports car fans its good to have one of the icons doing well.