College Football 2012 | Page 30 | FerrariChat

College Football 2012

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 4re Nut, Jan 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll bite, where's the humor in the term devout mormon?

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Looks bad if he's telling the truth or not.

1) If he's telling the truth, he's showing how naive he is to fall for something so dumb. Years and years this went on? Wow...I'd give him a pass for it if it was a short online fling lasting a month or so.

2) If he's lying...well...

I don't think ND will look bad in this as they don't seem to be connected. Some people are asking why ND held onto this info since Dec 26th and I'm wondering why people ask that. They had a BCS championship to play for within like 2 weeks...why introduce a huge distraction to the rest of the team? If they knew all along about this, then I could see why people ask, but that isn't the case.

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What a "clever bunch" to pull such a cruel hoax on Mantai.
    Karma is a *****.
    I hope it did not affect his performance at the Orange Bowl.
    There will always be the question.

4. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think it had to affect his performance, his play just seemed off and everyone could tell.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think his missed tackles were actually hugs of his imaginary girlfriend.

Alabama's Lacey also showed all of us he is faked out pretty easily as is, lol.

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There is no humor, at least to a person with an ounce of common decency.

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I find it somewhat humorous that the article claims that his religion should play some role in determining whether or not he is in some way involved in this travesty. People throw the religion card around when most convenient. Would his religion be considered if he did not attend a religiously oriented college? Would that card be thrown if he went to Ole Miss?

As to the decency comment, get over it. Its professional sports (oops, college). Anyway, he needs to focus on the draft. LOL!

As a point of orientation, I'm married to one so devout mormon does mean something in our family.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #733 4re Nut, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL! Steve, your posts kill me...where do you find this stuff, hahaha.

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Same place Te'o finds his girlfriends...Twitter. :D

11. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Where in the article was it asserted that religion "should play some role in determining whether" Teo is involved in this travesty? The point of the article is that he is involved. In fact, the article suggests Teo could be complicit in the hoax.

Try to actually comprehend what you read. That's half the battle.

Nothing to "get over" dude. But brilliant suggestion about focusing on the draft. Someone needs to pass that valuable tip onto Teo.

OK. Then does devout mormon only mean something to your family, or do you think you may not have a monopoly in the devout department? In other words, does your wife "throw the religion card around" when it's most convenient, or does that only apply to Manti Teo?

12. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    There's more truth in that than you may have realized. Ifunowutimean. Not that there is anything wrong w/ that (in Seinfeld voice). And, that is the reason for this whole charade. Coz he couldn't come out into the open. A gut-feeling on that. Not just now, but one I've had for a long time. And my g'dar is pretty damn good...

13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Wow.

People idolize sports figures and give them passes all of the time fior all sorts of stuff. The article inferred that he could not be involved because he was a "devout mormon" All I'm doing is calling BS on the usual "move along, there is nothing here to see" comment.

Why anyone would use the word "devout" in any way to describe a young man who is caught up in something that will surely be messy is beyond me. What does "devout" have to do with this given the way it turned out? This has be going on for years and you would think that anyone "devout" would have cleared it up. Appears that he rode the wave while it was good for him.

As to my connection to the Mormon church, I would not consider my wife "devout" either. She married a non-Mormon for starters but she knows right from wrong which he appears not to.

The only "devout" I would be believe in this case is "devout capitalist". Manti will at least get a little heat off Lance, the devout cancer survivor.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The funny part is "devout"...

I actually laughed out loud - literally - when I heard a TV report describing Newt Gingrich's mistress as a devout Catholic. His MISTRESS!!

To me it is funny as hell

15. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, people do idolize sports figures to an extreme degree. We often give these guys and gals a free pass. The article did not give Teo a free pass, however.

The article was, if anything, not flattering to Teo. I interpreted the "devout" in the sense that Teo is committed to the Mormon faith, at least ostensibly. That doesn't mean he does not make mistakes.

You seem to be pretty judgmental and your posts are dripping with sarcasm/cynicism in relation to this issue. Thus, I'm curious what Teo did "wrong" since you claim he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong?

BTW, in my view the facts are not out yet to jump to a conclusion whether Teo is culpable or not. He is, if nothing else, quite naive. I listened to the Notre Dame AD press conference last night and it shed some light on the matter. But hey, I could be missing something here.

Could you explain what Teo did in contradiction to his professed devout status?

16. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Play like you had a fake girlfriend die today!

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie. public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie after public lie

Or perhaps perpetual dishonesty not in contradiction to the morman teachings. Maybe I am wrong.

But if it is, AND you not only claim to be a morman, but a DEVOUT one, well...

Does that explain it clearly enough for you? I hope so.

18. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You didn't explain zip. Where, specifically, did Teo lie?

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #744 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    If this guy is your hero I am sorry. It's got to be a real kick in the balls to either believe he holds the record for being this planet's biggest ******* stupid sonofa***** dumb bastard loser online dumb**** boyfriend for THREE years, or he is lying. Or his dad (another "devout" morman??) is lying about their little visit at their home in Hawaii.

Tough corner to be in. It looked like he was a little off his game when Bama was handing his ass to him but I would have never thought this. Not in a million.

either way:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIc8krqspIc&feature=share[/ame]

20. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good lord, my only hero has been my dad, not a 21 year kid; and not a dead football coach. lol

Anyway, it's most probably true that Lennay Kekua did not exist in the way that Teo thought she did. But Teo is not at fault for that. He's 21 fricking years old! It's quite plausible he was enamored with Kekua and did not want to disclose it was an online relationship.

There are certainly holes in Teo's story: Where did he meet the fake Kekua as has been reported? He says he sent flowers, but where? This could be where Teo was not truthful.

But in Teo's defense, when the press got hold of this seemingly heroic tale, it took on a life of its own. It catapulted Teo into a national hero for storied Notre Dame. If Teo reveals the girl wasn't real, how does that make him look?

Put yourself in the shoes of a 21-year old who has been swept up in something like this. Would you come forward right away?

For now, this bizarre story is muddled at best. We'll probably know more soon.

21. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I am simply pointing out that someone (not Teo) used the term "devout" specifically to imply that he could have anything to do with this when, in fact, nobody knows yet. Further, I believe that anyone who IS devout in connection to their religion would have stepped up and pointed out the inaccuracies in the situation long before this. This looks like a situation where a young man probably got bad advice or didn't ask anyone what he should do when the girlfriend story started. But he did benefit from it which puts him in a very bad light.

I try not be cynical when it comes to religion but it shows so I apologize for that. I guess it goes back to when my wife and I had to agree to disagree over the existance of dinosaurs when our kids brought it up. I consider myself a practical Presbyterian.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Agreed, but in the meantime, I am sticking with my if-I-haven't-met-her-she-isn't-my-girlfriend rule! :D