Purchase of 458, London Runs? | FerrariChat

Purchase of 458, London Runs?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MHK, Jan 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MHK

MHK Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 MHK, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After having previously sold my 430 Spider a few years back as a result of my relocation to London from South Florida, I am anxiously awaiting this weekend to pick up a Grigio Silverstone 458.

If anyone has any suggestions on any nice country runs that would make for a good day trip outside London, I would greatly appreciate it.

Will post some pics after delivery.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It looks like you've bought from a franchise dealer who should offer you details of complimentary Owners Club membership which should give you some ideas for outings

There are nice-ish loops not too far from Central London but it does depend which side you are

3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very nice indeed - Congrats Enjoy in good health

4. MHK

MHK Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I will definitely ask when I take delivery.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Some of us go down to Goodwood for Sunday breakfast fairly often. But depends where you are. If SW London, then its a nice drive.

6. MHK

MHK Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have been down there quite a bit. Agreed there are some nice roads off the A3 heading there. I am central London, so its not difficult getting to the A3. Do you head to the track or a local place?

7. YearOne

YearOne Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Henry Fletcher
    Depending on how you want to use the car there are a few options from London. For track use there is Brands Hatch to the south east, Thruxton to south west, Silverstone to the north west and Snetterton to the north east. All of these are fairly easy to get to with Brands being the closest and Silverstone being the best track and most suited to your 458.

For road driving everywhere in the south east is frankly too busy, I have lived in London for 8yrs and use motorbikes to get my kicks down here having grown up in Scotland. Up there we are blessed with empty open roads but down here you are so limited by traffic and a lack of fun roads that you need to head further afield. The best part of being in the UK is the proximity to Europe.... You can get to Spa Francachamps (one of the worlds greatest circuits) and the Nordschleife in half a day, the Alps are a (long) days drive away and the Pyrenees and northern Spain are a 24hr ferry journey for a great few days trip.

If you would like any advice or just a chat about any of this I'm around and do this trips quite regularly, a week long euro road trip is a sensational holiday!

8. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #8 andyww, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    We usually go to the Aero Cafe which is the flying school cafe. Another location is Box Hill which is closer to London.

These runs are normally organised by someone on another UK forum, Club Scuderia. But I might kick off a Box Hill meet myself at some point. Wont be until March-ish though. The Box Hill meets are usually at the cafe where the bikers all meet but it might be cool to meet at the cafe at the TOP of Box Hill instead for a change.

During the spring/summer there are so many events around London pretty much every weekend is occupied. Just a selection:

Brooklands Auto Italia day
    Chelsea Auto Legends
    Windsor Castle car festival (if they do it again)
    Various Goodwood Sunday meets
    FOC Concours
    Brooklands Motorsport Festival

Goodwood also do themed Sunday breakfast meets such as "Supercar Sunday" but to be honest sitting in a traffic jam for an hour to get into the place is not much fun, even if the jam is composed of great cars!

9. MHK

MHK Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fantastic suggestions. I will do a bit of research on each of the tracks; I assume through the local Ferrari club I can find some scheduled track days as well. Re Europe, I did pick up a bunch of European tour books and have begun planning a trip for the spring, as you have also recommended (I even purchased a French "car kit").

10. MHK

MHK Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I spent time down in Goodwood doing some flying, so certainly appreciate the traffic issues that typically develop. If a run is planned, and Newbies are permitted, I would enjoy the opportunity to join. I will check out the other forum as well.

11. YearOne

YearOne Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Henry Fletcher
    There are many great independent track day companies here that run regular days at all the tracks I mentioned throughout the year. I do some driver coaching with people on some of these days and know the people involved so can advise you more if you are interested, they are finalising their calanders at the moment. The 458 is a great car around Silverstone, i'v driven and coached in a few.

12. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Beautiful car! So refreshing to hear that you intend to actually drive it! Enjoy

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    One thing that is a must, for me, is to drive the Spa Francorchamps circuit. I did it in my then brand-new 458 last year, and it was fantastic!! There is a Ferrari Owner's Day there every year, organised by the Belgian and Dutch dealerships. It should be possible for you to join, if you wish I can make some enquiries.

My 458 will be in London a couple of times this year as I am moving there in April, might be a possibility to meet up.

Onno

14. Foxy_355

Foxy_355 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2004
    Berkshire, UK
    Gorgeous car and I love the colour. First time I've looked at one of these and really liked it - it's a grower! (Only others I've seen have been white and I'm not so sure!)

There are some lovely roads around the Windsor/Ascot are in Berkshire. Some good pubs too for the summer!

To the guys who do the Goodwood brekkie run, how often do you do it? I'd be up for joining once the weather improves.

15. MHK

MHK Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Could not have been a better day to finally get the car out for a run; given all the bad weather, it was only the 2nd time I had taken out since delivery. I decided to head down to Goodwood Aero Cafe (another forum had suggested a meet, but it seemed to have been cancelled) - I went leaving after lunchtime nonetheless given how nice the weather was. I headed out of London on the A3 down past Hindhead tunnel where I then got off at the A272. From there, headed to the B2146 and then onto the B2141 where I then caught up to the A286 to New Road and then onto Claypit Lane. Going through the B2141, from the limited driving in the country I have done, has thus far been one of the best country roads I have driven - it was spectacular.

Had a nice meal, turned around, and went straight back up just the same. For some reason, the roads were incredibly clear, even out and back into London - no traffic whatsoever!

It was a great drive to help me get used to the car and stretch her out a bit after a rather cold and miserable month or so of bad weather.

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The excellent A2141 is almost invariably one of the quickest routes out of Goodwood after any major event