Dyno run - Maserati Spyder | FerrariChat

Dyno run - Maserati Spyder

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by BJS, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Just getting around to scanning & posting this dyno run capture of our 2002 Maser. Assuming a drivetrain loss of about 15-16%, I'd say Maserati is delivering on the rated 390HP.

Most interesting is the torque curve. As suspected from seat-of-the-pants, the Maser engine is not as peaky as some other OHC engines. Not quite as stout as my Corvette's pushrod stump-puller, but not too darn shabby, either!

Never did figure out what was causing the odd squiggles at the low end, but we guessed that the cambiocorsa (unmodified from 2002 stock software) might be the cause.

Now I know why I find the Maser to be a terrifically fun car!

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Here's the dyno run of our 1996 Corvette Grand Sport (LT4 engine). It appears torque starts much earlier. Overall, not as much difference bween the OHC and OHV engines as I would have expected.

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    looks to me like your car runs into knock control - what octane gas did you use? - with 91/92 US the engine ECU will detect knock and retard timing so nothing to worry about - however if you have access to 94 octane gas or 100 octane I suggest to to run it for 200miles and to go back - I assume that would cure the squiggles and in addition will give you even more torque/hp as benefit because of less retarded timing

ps. love the torque cuve of the Corvette

4. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    We (the mechanic and I) talked about that, but thought if it were knock control at work, we'd be seeing more variability above 4,000 RPM. Since it flattens so abruptly just over 4K, we thought something else caused the jittery readings.

BTW, the car always gets Sunoco brand fuel, highest octane available in the pump (I can't remember if their trade name '260' is still used). Don't remember the octane rating, though.

I hate getting old, got a bad case of CRS.

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Not necessarily – depends on the (RON + MOM)/2 = PON number – I assume you get the standard PON 92 – how that rating is achieved is only loosely defined and in addition vendors mix differently for summer / winter - Detonations in the acceleration phase leading up to max. torque would be caused by a RON number not sufficient and detonations under high load (max hp) by a MON number to low

what you also will find is that the initial acceleration phase on the dyno is the worst case scneario for the airintake temperature because of the missing air flow (at least with the 360) - air temperature may spike by as much as 10F

however much depends on how the knock control is programmed to understand the behavior- does the M have a Bosch ME?

6. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I'm pretty certain the Maser uses Bosch controls, but would need to verify. In any case, it sounds like a return trip with 'known' good fuel would be enlightning.

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    more RWHP than the stradale...this not good!

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Not sure what any of that means but I was just reading the Maserati brochure and it says the Maserati is equipped with integrated Bosch ME 7.3.2 ignition and injection system. Not sure about your area but Sunoco around my area has disscontinued thier 94 octane here, 93 now the highest

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    different transmission layout - car will have less parasitc losses - dyno is different - hard to compare

but very similar hp/torque curves - I have to look at the engine design - looks like a nice car - the only showstoper is the weight - shhh

interestingly they state the manual/F1 (same system as 360)
    Dry Weight* 3571 lbs.
    Curb Weight** 3792 lbs.
    *Cambiocorsa version 3594 lbs.
    **Cambiocorsa version 3814 lbs.

weight difference (dry:23lbs; curb:22lb) - doesn't make any sense to me unfortunately :-( - well they could fill in Helium

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, it does look like its making more power than the 360 CS. Not good.

11. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Really? How much horsepower was the 360 CS dynoed at?

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Highest octane on the mix pump is 94, some stations sell 100 on a "race fuel" pump.

13. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    That has me curious as well.

I noticed in another thread that someone stated that DynoJet dynos typically rate cars higher in calculated HP than Mustang dynos. Surprising, because we've found exactly the opposite when comparing notes among the Corvette Grand Sport crew.

When somebody pops up with an abnormally high dyno HP figure for the mods performed, there's always someone who pipes in and says, "Must be the numbers are from a Mustang dyno."

Strange the the experience here would be just the opposite.

Brad

14. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    Is that car truely bone stock? tubi? chip? if so anyone knows if the newer ones will be the same? If that dyno sheet is in fact a accurate representation of RW HP, then why would they under rate the maser compared to 360? I feel better about buying my wife one already, car really opens up as it breaks in :)

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I think the CS got in the low 320's when all was well...not positive, but either way, maybe this says that ferrari will get much more out of a high RPM 360 replacement made with this engine? trying to look for good news!

16. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Maser is 100% bone stock with 10,000 miles on the odometer.

Corvette is stock except for Corsa exhaust and an opened air filter housing (a "cut lid").

17. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Anybody know if the Tubi adds any horsepower? I checked one out this weekend and loved the sound so told dealer to put one on when car comes in. The sound alone is worth the money so figure any extra HP is a bonus, Plus the tips were a little bigger and the tubi weighs less than stock