Visiting London in June | FerrariChat

Visiting London in June

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by italiafan, Jan 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Hello All.
    I'm visiting London for a few days in June with my wife and two boys age 13 and 11.
    Looking for a nice Hotel, Boutique or otherwise.
    Don't mind spending $1000 or so per night.
    Don't want to have to wear jacket and tie, likely will be in jeans...but I suppose I could pack slacks and polo shirts if need be. :)
    Nice but casual.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers. :)

Rob

2. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  4. Foxy_355

Foxy_355 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2004
    Berkshire, UK
  5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #5 Mule, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    As you plan what things you are going to see (Tower of London, Trafalgar Square, Museums, churches, etc) take into consideration location. Walking, taxis, Tube to most things, so where you start and end each day plays a part in that. Also, check if the hotels have hairdryers like Foxy says, and any other electronic/electric conveniences, like charging phones and camera batteries. Remember as a minimum - plug adapter for electric; plug adapter and transformer for electronic.

Tell your bank you will be using ATM and credit cards in UK, so they don't think fraud.

By the way, get this map: MapEasy, Inc - England - MapEasy Guidemap England There is another map by the same company of London, but the England one has a better, larger London map on the back. Go figure.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks all...I will look into each of them. Also considering renting a flat for a few days if possible...any Companies you know handle a large inventory?

Perhaps I could pick your brains a little too on the whole trip.
    My Mother was English and I used to spend every other summer at my Gran's in Hampton-in-Arden (outside of Solihul), but haven't been in 'ol Blighty in approx 15 years or so.

Flying in 6/22 and leaving 7/4; Gatwick.

Was going to spend a couple-few days in London.
    Fly to Edinburgh.
    Couple-few days in Edinburgh/Scotland.
    Train to York.
    1.5-2 days in York (love the Minster, Railway Museum, Shambles, etc.).
    Hire a car and drive through Peak District, hit the Blue John Caverns (kids will love that).
    Possibly spend a night in quaint B&B in the country.
    Maybe swing down memory lane on way to Warwick (Castles, etc.), Hampton-in-Arden.
    Get rid of Car somewhere.
    Couple more days in London.
    Fly out.

When I was there last there was no tipping in Pubs/Restaurants...is not tipping still considered acceptable?
    Also, does one tips Cab Drivers, etc.?

Many thanks!

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    You might want to leave about 10% as norm.

Not too sure needed with cab drivers though

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I highly recommend the Landmark Hotel in Marylebone.

5 Star Luxury Hotel In London - Landmark London

It's not very expensive, but it's wonderful. There's a Marks & Spencer grocery in Marylebone to the rear of the hotel. The concierge is extremely helpful, and will arrange tea at other hotels.

It meets your casual but quality needs, and is quite friendly to kids, as well.

I think it will also eliminate your need for a flat. The rooms are quite large, and you can load up at the M&S for food. The only thing you would miss is the ability to cook.

Matt

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks! Will definitely check on that.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks!

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thank you very much for link, advice.

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Cabbies should be tipped - also restaurants show service charge on bill usually but pubs generally not just for drinks

June 30 weekend British GP SIlverstone will affect accommodation for at least 50 miles

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :eek:

I need to get TIX!

Thanks.

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Be careful with cab drivers in London. I would ask them for a set price in advance and pay at the start of the journey.

Otherwise, they would often give me one quote at the start of the journey and then tried to charge me nearly double that upon reaching my destination.

Bunch of crooks, really.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    B*LL*CKS !

Proper black cab drivers (who have a 'For Hire' light above their screen) charge by the meter - and anything else should result in a complaint to the Public Carriage Office

Minicabbers are a whole other story........

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

As long as you stay with the black cabs you're in the hands of the best in the world IMO. Don't question their route choice unless you want to get creamed - These guys *know* the way.

They're also about the only ones who "expect" a tip - 10% is fine and is the reason they *love* Americans - You guys tip high.....

Pubs, no tipping; A decent bar tender will yell that you've left your change on the bar. [Very few have service - You go get yer drinks and pay the (wo)man.]

Restaurants; Tipping isn't as automatic as here, but if you're happy, 10% is again much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

I wish someone had told me that before I went down there. I kept hiring the guys in the Skodas.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D :eek: ;)

Also meant to mention; In London, outside of rush hour, the tube is far & away the easiest way to get around. Still pretty cheap and efficient. Plus, if you get lost, just get to the nearest station and peruse the map.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Another highly recommended trip in London is to take a river "cruise" down to Greenwich. Kudos to the G/F for talking me into this one - I'm from there and pohh-poohed it, but am really glad she talked me into it....

Your concierge will hook you up, but there's a bunch of 'em leave from the Embankment (just up stream from the Houses of Parliament). IIRC, it's about an hour (maybe less?) down to Greenwich and they typically have a highly entertaining "commentator" giving often humorous insights into the bridges and the landscape etc - A great way to see the city from a different (and low stress ;)) perspective.

Get to Greenwich and what you can do depends on how long you want to stay;

A couple of hours; The Cutty Sark & Gypsy Moth + Greenwich Village itself (a bit touristy, but OK).

Half a day/day; The National Maritime Museum and the (old) National Observatory. Both in Greenwich Park. Fascinating stuff that even the most jaded of kids will enjoy!

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Whoa! Hang on a moment!.......

You probably already know, but the UK runs at 240V. Plug a standard US spec hair-dryer in and it will blow up! - It's not just a question of going from US -> UK plugs!

*Most* mobile electronics chargers (cell phones, laptops, cameras etc) will adapt - It'll be on the charger, something like; "110-240V AC" - If so, a plug adaptor is all you need.

But don't even bother taking anything that's 110v only. Yes, you can lug a transformer around, but I wouldn't bother.

Cheers,
    Ian

21. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I'm not certain why anyone would visit London on a pleasure trip, but if you must, find a nice train heading out of the city to the real England.

22. Foxy_355

Foxy_355 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2004
    Berkshire, UK

I agree with Greyboxer. London - HACKNEY - black cabs are wonderful. I always tip unless they're obnoxious (which is extremely rare), they totally know their stuff and you can rely on them to get you anywhere in London!

I agree on the river cruise recommendation too, or just use them to get about. The clippers are good and serve champagne ;)

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 as already noted. However, being very pedantic it's by the meter and/or time. If you're stuck in traffic, and in London you will be of course, the meter will spin even if you don't move. So please don't go reporting a guy for that!......

Cheers,
    Ian