First trip to Italy - what to do/expect? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First trip to Italy - what to do/expect?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rkm, Jan 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I'll add my two cents. We were 2 weeks in Italy last summer...rented a villa in Pietrasanta (Tuscany) for a week, and Rome and Tuscany another week. I agree with others that you should narrow down your itinerary, and I recommend you concentrate on the north ( I would exclude Milano as others have suggested). I highly endorse the town of Lucca and Florence, and a drive through Chianti. Check out the town Greve in Chianti..you might stay there overnight. You must park your car on the outside of the city (outside the walls for Lucca, where you will not need a car). For all of the major tourist sites in Florence and Rome, BOOK YOUR TICKETS ON LINE IN ADVANCE. this will help you avoid lines. In Roma, a good location for your hotel is near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. The Spanish Steps area is pricey and not worth it. DO NOT plan to spend a lot of time in PISA..it's like an Italian Myrtle Beach. Allocate 2-3 hours there for the 3 things to see...don't miss the Baptistry next to the Tower.
    If you get out on some real country roads be aware that many have a real pucker factor. I would not be driving after a couple of wine tastings if I were you. If you fly into FCO, brace yourself. Make sure your cell phone will work there; if you have Verizon you will need to get a special plan and SIM program. Euro is about 1.33 now, so not the bargain we had last summer. Do not argue with any waiter. When in doubt order the pizza.

2. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.

I second that! Besides the number one suggestion I had, Florence... Definately Lucca! Amazing city, with a wall around it. The city centre is actually a wall, with a "old" city in the middle. Like a city in a city. Must see!!!

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I will second this as well. I have T-Mobile and was assured by both the local store and customer service that my phone would work fine in Europe, I would just have to pay roaming charges. When I arrived I discovered after an expensive hotel phone call back to T-Mobile support that while yes, my phone would work fine (quad-band), the US SIM card would not connect to a European network. A quick jaunt to a shop and I purchased a prepaid SIM card, which was a very convenient fix.

And yes, when in doubt, order pizza. It is damn good anywhere you go!

4. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    +1 did this on our honeymoon and it was an amazing experience. Here is a link to our Maranello portion of the trip: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/266326-my-maranello-honeymoon.html

5. jeffb99tx

jeffb99tx Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My wife and I did this trip when we were in our late 20s. We stayed in youth hostels when we could, budget hotels when we could not, and used Eurail passes to get around. We did not eat at fancy places, but we did eat well. Sometimes finances are not the issue, but finding the time off can be. Buy some travel books and start to daydream about where you want to go. The books have good explinations regarding what part of the city to stay in (close to train station, etc), what to expect to pay, where to eat, and what is there to see.

Best of luck and bring back photos when you get back.

Jeff

6. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Go to a wind or tim store and get an internet plan on a microsd card. You can use your iphone/ipad or whatever device and use it as a GPS even when walking the streets in Rome, Florence, etc....to get around and find your way back and forth.

40 bucks will get you unlimited Internet access on your device.

7. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I disagree, and besides the fact that I visit family in Milan, here's why:

First of all, aside from Maranello, the Ferrari Store in Milan is second-to-none. They usually have at least one Formula One car in store and allow customers to sit in it. The store is four full floors plus a lower level.

Secondly, Monza is just outside of Milan, and although I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked, it's an amazing place. I don't know their open track day schedule, but I would go just to watch for a few hours.

And the best pizza I've ever had was in Milan (the best pasta is farther south, in my opinion). :)

Also, the church in Milan is simply stunning...

I personally wouldn't skip Milan. You only need a day, but to me, it was worth it.

8. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    All of Italy is interesting. Depends what your interests are and who is holding the credit card. If it is not your wife then make Venice a must see. The middle of Italy is where most of the tourist hang out. There are some great sites to the south and way up north. To get a view of what those areas offer go to you-tube or such, which can be very helpful. The best means of transport is probably the train, if and when it runs on time. The most convenient and more interesting way is to rent a car. In some places you can rent really cheap vehicles (such as a smart car in Rome) rather than foot it. however walking around the major cities is better and saves you getting an ulcer.
    Hope it works out for you.

9. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    + 1 - Long live Auto Grille

10. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    hahaha.... anyone who has been to Italy multiple times has stopped at least once at Auto Grill :) some of the best "truckstop" food you will ever eat in your life!

I was just in Italy a week ago for the weekend... If you are driving on the tollways, be careful. They now have timed points with cameras that they will send you a bill for after averaging your speed. This is separate from the speed cameras themselves. We used to play "driving games" by seeing how quickly we could make it from the city center(Rome) to Narni. The highways are the easy part... nothing like 150kph on a one lane road with two way traffic :)

I agree with what the others have said. I have been to Italy 20+ times, and everytime I find something new. This last time, I stayed in Frescati and Grottaferrata. Truly breathtaking views of Rome(and I am not a fan of Rome). Do the touristy stuff, then go off the beaten path. If you are north of Rome, you are pretty safe. South of Rome, stick to the well lit areas with groups of people.

Justin

11. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003

12. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Two words: Cinque Terre

I've been all over Italy a number of times. I keep going back there over and over again..

13. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #38 ndpendant, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Florence, Rome, and if you can get to Amalfi or Ravello. Great cliff side hotel in Ravello with is up the mountain from Amalfi. Beautiful, very quiet, relaxing very friendly. have friend in amalfi that would show you around. If you end up in Milan see the Duomo, etc but there is a small panzerotti place about 2 blocks east(ish) of the duomo that is terriffic! the food is like eating sex in a hotpocket. there is usually a line out the door. the single best thing I tasted in Milan! Imagine a crispy creme donut texture crust stuffed with all fresh pizza ingredients...ahhhh good
    Nd

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I did not know that. we are going to Italy in the fall, so i think we'll do that as well.

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    We also did the Scavi tour; highly recommended! Not expensive either.
    I told a blatant lie to the guard; that our son was 15. (Requirement)
    He was really 11; bless me father!!
    Kevin

16. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    +1

I got to do this in '08. It's breathtaking. Book WELL in advance if you want to do this.

17. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    Thank yo uall for the suggestions!

I know it will be hard to narrow the scope of the trip. I want to do and see everything this first trip but know that will not happen. I will probably have about 10 days so I must plan carefully!

Hopefully it will not be too long before we can go back (repeatedly!)

Please keep the insights coming, I will be asking many questions as I try to decide where to go.

What were your respective wives' favorite things to do/see? (unfortunately the wife does not share my passion for Ferrari so I must plan a fair share for her to see and do after we visit Maranello)

Thanks again!
    Robert Monroe

18. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Italy is amazing overall. I think you need to look at the map and plan from there. I drew a ring around Maranello and you can see that all the following places are within striking distance. Venice is absolutely unforgettable, but surely crowded. The earlier you go in the summer the better. If you can go late May or early June, you will beat the crowds. One person suggested Verona, and I agree. Coliseum, just as old as Rome's. Nearby is Lake Garda, where Hemingway wrote A Farewell to Arms. I have been to Lago di Como, but not Garda, but if Garda is anything like Como, then it will be great. Then you can hit Maranello, then over to the Cinque Terra (your wife will love it, as she will love Venice). Then down to Florence to finish. Fly into Venice and out of Florence. Rent a car as you exit Venice, then drop it off as you enter Florence. Venice and the Cinque Terra are very relaxing because of the lack of cars (other than priceless Ferraris in barges!). The buzz of traffic in Florence and the other cities does detract from the beauty.
    Go to Rome and see the Vatican on your next visit. You can also hit the Amalfi coast then.
    Scott

19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Since you're going to be there in May, *if at all possible* try and catch the Mille Miglia - it starts May 16 this year, you can see the route at millemiglia.it.

My wife and I did this back in 2010, we caught up with the race in Buonconvento during a lunch stop, so we got to walk around and check out a lot of the cars, plus the whole Ferrari tribute entourage. For a first trip to Italy, as ours was, to find ourselves in the midst of the MM in a small Italian village on a beautiful day was pretty darn magical.

Plus, of course, had to rent the Ferrari in Maranello...don't know if the rates have changed, but when we went it was 100 Euro for me to drive (430 spider) for 20 minutes, then the guy from the agency took my wife for a ride for 10-15 minutes (which included him stopping a pedestrian to borrow a pen to give my wife his number - ha!). Anyway, driving a Ferrari for the first time, in Maranello - how can you beat that?

You'll love Italy, we both did, and can't wait to go back.

Audi

20. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

Another reason to visit Milan. Lots of places to do some shopping!

21. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Robert
    Aside from the excitement of being in Italy; Maranello was truly the favorite stop of our trip for my wife & kids (ages 11 & 15 then); and not because of all the Ferrari presence.
    While all the other locations are incredible ( we visited Milan, Florence, Rome and Venice as well); Maranello was the only small town that was nice and relaxing. (it reminded us of our town) my wife loved the small town feel. every other place you almost feel forced to be on e move to see so much history & culture (The Ferrari attractions were honestly a bonus for them, seeing the excitement & history surrounding the area)
    My wife loves good food; the food, wine & coffee are unbelievable (and not expensive)
    This picture is a good example, sitting at a plastic table having an amazing coffee late afternoon...

Maranello | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BTW - there are 81 Michelin rated restaraunts in the world; one of them is in Modena. The quality of food in the region is incredible.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks.
    Kevin

22. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I wonder how often that trick works for him? :D

>8^)
    ER

23. BarrieM5

BarrieM5 Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Kelowna, BC , Canada
    You are going to have a great trip to Italy....stay flexible, don't "over plan"... but if you can, take your wife to the Cinque Terra...especially Vernazza ...you may never want to leave !

24. acuransx20001

acuransx20001 Karting

May 19, 2005
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    I returned from Italy from our honeymoon. I highly recommend visiting Florence. Is it small? Yes, but the culture, people and atmosphere is awesome. If you go to Florence, check out these three resrtaurants:

Il Latini: local place and they serve Vin Santo after your meal along with biscotti. They are always filled with locals and the meat hanging from the walls is cool. Virtual Tour - Ristorante Il Latini - Firenze

La Giostra: This restaurant is listed in Frommers and not a lot of locals. However, the food and service is exceptional. Make reservations in advance. Not often you have a Prince taking food orders :)
    Ristorante La Giostra Firenze - Borgo Pinti 12/r - Firenze La Giostra Restaurant Review - Review of La Giostra in Florence | Frommer's

Golden View Open Bar: Great restaurant with a huge selection of food and wine. Reserve in advance to get a table overlooking the Arno River and the Vecchio Bridge.
    Golden View Firenze: Ristorante Bar Cultural Space

Gelato: Best place for gelato is Gelateria dei Neri located Via dei Neri 26r, a 5 minute walk from Ponte Vecchio.

Museums:
    I would highly recommend to buy tickets in advance for the Academia (the David) and the Uffizi Gallery. I bought them both here Accademia Gallery Florence, Booking Online Accademia Tickets.

Bed & Breakfast: This was my fourth time visiting Florence and the best place for me has been La Signoria di Firenze, which is 50 feet from the Ponte Vecchio square. Check out the site. The pictures are exactly how the rooms appear. The owner are brother and sister and are very accommodating. B&B La Signoria di Firenze

Rome: The Scavi tour, which I experienced in October, was a blast. It's a tight squeeze down below, but it gets better as the tour continues. The end of the tour leaves you inside the St. Peter's Basilica, which is nice since you won't have to wait in the long line to enter. As others have stated, book now.

If you have some extra time, take a trip to Tivoli, about 45-60 minutes from Rome via train. Nice small town that has a former vacation home of a prior Pope.

Naples: Skip.

And the best advice I can give you, is try any and all foods! Especially the Arancini.