3500GT Barnfind | Page 29 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Hello Mark,
    Do you have any good news about the 3rd gear problem?
    Wilfried

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Trev its been 40 day's, do you have any news?
    Ciao,
    FGM

3. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Hi Wilfried, I hope you are doing well. It is always a pleasure to hear from you. I just dropped the transmission off at Epifani Restorations on Tuesday. They told me that they should have it done in three weeks, if it doesn't need any parts. The shop was amazing. I thought that I was at Pebble Beach. They told me that they previously restored a Birdcage Maserati and rebuilt the transaxle on that car. I do not think that mine will be too much of a challenge.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    So the Birdcage they restored is now in "Pebble Beach"- condition....? Oh gee.......

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    a few races will fix that ;)
    Pete

6. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Walter, I did not get to see the Birdcage....I would have loved to. They did it sometime in the past. They did have a gorgeous assortment of old Alfas....(I have never seen such beautifully restored Alfas outside of a museum), a Double Bubble Zagato Fiat, and two Siatas (which I had never seen before).

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, 2 years ago I saw an important Maserati race car that had been restored by Epifani. It was restored to death!! The had completely lost its aura!

8. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    I should have the trunk material by next week. It's in production right now. We had to finish the material for a Voisin restoration before the Maserati production could begin.

I expect it to be 100% correct as original.

I'll gladly send you a sample when it's complete.

Send me a PM and I'll reserve you enough for your trunk.

Ciao and best!

~Trev

9. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    My transmission has been at Epifani Restorations for less than a week. They called me today and they have already diagnosed the problems. I drove the car about five miles, prior to removing the transmission and sending it to them. They just ordered the parts (about $1,300 worth). I am extremely grateful that the parts were available from MIE. They will be rebuilding the transmission and replacing the bearings, synchros (again), and a damaged spring & slider.

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    This is sounding very promising.
    Ciao,
    FGM

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Frank, they sent me the pictures of the damaged parts. For some unknown reason, I have been unable to post them here. The damage is amazing. The slider had most of the teeth destroyed....resulting in about a teaspoon full of metal in the bottom of the pan. I paid the previous shop for new synchros (and have a receipt listing just shy of $900 for the new synchros). Epifani's told me that the synchros are all worn down and will have to be replaced. They also advised me that the bearings are scored and should never have been reinstalled.

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thanks for sharing your fascinating journey, I've enjoyed reading it from the 'gallery'.

I'm a private pilot, with my own piston aircraft and classic cars. Just offering a caution regarding leaded aviation fuel: Be careful not to over do it. One tank once per year is fine. In regular use, I'd suggest no more than 1 in 5 dilution. I'm not an expert, but I've tried it in my cars. I can vouch that frequent undiluted avgas will leave deposits, leading to hotspots and detonation. Talking with my aircraft mechanic after-the-fact, he said even 100LL (low lead 100oct) avgas contains far more lead than autogas ever had.
    Best wishes for a long and successful ownership!
    -Art

13. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Art, thank you for the kind words and your advice regarding the aviation gas. I really appreciate it.

14. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #714 fskof, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It will be 2 months here in a few days since you dropped off your trans with Epifani.
    Can you give us a progress report?
    FGM

16. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Hi Frank. I am waiting for a part from Italy. They bought two from MIE and they were both bad (second gear slider). Nino had a connection for parts in Italy and they ordered a NOS part for me. We are still waiting for it. My synchros were fine. If the part had been available in the US, they would have had it done a month ago. I am happy that they were able to buy the part at all.

17. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Fskof, I'm sorry that I did not see your post sooner. His car appears to be a metallic color, mine is not. I hope the fact that he bought one helps the value a little. Thanks for posting the links.

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I will be in Italy in Sept and can hand carry the part back for you. :)
    FGM

19. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Frank, I really appreciate the kind offer. I am really hoping to have it done way before then. My current marketing plan is try Ebay first (after driving it a bit and making sure all the bugs are worked out).....if I don't get enough on Ebay, Pebble Beach looks promising.

20. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It was a joke, playing on how long the Italian can take.
    If you do not get the result on ebay, I would contact Paul at Gooding. I will email his contact info to you.
    FGM

21. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Frank, based on my introduction to all things Italian over the past 4 years, you might not be far off the mark. Thanks for the introduction. If I am not happy with the results on Ebay, I will contact him prior to the auction. Do you know if they allow reserves? I do not know if I can take the stress of a no-reserve auction.

22. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes, I believe they do offer a reserve.
    FGM

23. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hey Mark
    Can you tell me how the eastwood product really worked for you.
    I have lot's small pits and 2 long scraches on my GTI.
    I am contemplating on replacing the windshield.
    Is there I a way I can contact you?
    Thanks
    Olivier

24. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #724 mfletch, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    Olivier, the Eastwood product will remove scratches from the glass, with a lot of work. It will not remove pits. I loaned it to Larry Reuben....I have not heard if he is happy with it. Please feel free to email me [email protected]

I just read your windshield thread. If you are not painting the car, I would not remove the windshield. The new gasket caused me some significant problems and it does not fit like the original. Try the Eastwook product first, if you are not painting. There are products that you can apply to the windshield that will diminish the appearance of the pits. The Eastwood product will remove the scratches.

25. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Abacus Racing In Virginia Beach Va.
    Ask for Chuck.