LotusCupUSA Racing! (formerly Lotus Challenge Series) | FerrariChat

LotusCupUSA Racing! (formerly Lotus Challenge Series)

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by plastique999, Mar 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #1 plastique999, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    I wanted to showcase some of the LotusCupUSA racing that I participate in - formerly known as Lotus Challenge Series. The series started about 5 years ago, and it is filled with a great group of drivers who are very knowledgeable about racing.
    I have learned a ton from my fellow competitors, and it is great camraderie. I have done all sorts of track days and also raced an SRF in SCCA, but I love racing with Lotus.
    We even had a few Ferrari Challenge guys race with us in our events (in their Lotus'), and although not as popular as Ferrari Challenge, the series is certainly not as expensive and makes for a great competitive sport.
    For anyone ever interested, feel free to PM me....racing is great camraderie!

Anyhow, here is the website, if anyone were ever interested in joining us:
    http://www.lotuscupusa.us/
    (I have no affiliation with the organization other than being a participant)

Here is a vid of us last year:
    (I'm in the Matte orange Elise that blows by the krypton green one at 2:10 :) )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDc-kDfank[/ame]

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #2 plastique999, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #3 plastique999, Mar 17, 2012
  4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    awesome, thanks for posting.

5. Jaffster

Jaffster Karting

Mar 27, 2010
    Nice, how do you like the new car compared to the elise?

Wirewheel still has some elise motorsport cars for sale - awesome machines.

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The 211 is a whole different level compared to the Elise. The Elise is very capable on track. But the 211 is spec'd specifically for racing. It weighs just under 1600 lbs. dry and with 260 hp, it has a tremendous power to weight ratio.
    The handling is like a dart - points and shoots with biting slices.

There are some pretty amazing Lotus races in the UK in their series as well.

I'll post vids of our races throughout the season. Gearing up for our first race at Chuckwalla March 24/25.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Tell me about your new 211 cage? It looks like you added the A piller area and head bars? Or is that now standard on 211's. If you changed it for more safety how much weight did you add? I'm thinking those are 1.5" bars in a 1600lb car? Do you get any buffeting in the 211 so that you need an aero helmet to prevent helmet lift? Where does the 211 fit in NASA or SCCA?

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #8 kverges, Mar 20, 2012
    2-11 is eligible for NASA ST1, I am not sure about SCCA eligiblity. Looks like fun, my personal issue is the travel costs. For my SCCA races I just put the cars in the trailer and go a few hours away and can support myself. Going to California, NJ, Pahrump, etc is much more costly, as I have to hire a driver, fly out myself and of course provide food and lodging for the driver. Makes a race that is, say 1500 miles away a $5K minimum proposition just to be there.

My other issue is that for serious racing, I like big fields and spec cars, so like the OP I run SRF more than anything else right now. Not as fast or sexy, but when the top 5-10 drivers qualify within a second of each other, it makes for close racing.

Finally, while I'd race a 2-11, I think the closed cars are dangerous. You cannot get out with the door shut and helmet on due to small window opening and I've been in shunts serious enough to preven the door mechanism from working.

I had thought about the 2-11 but it was slow to market and I built the science project below that is mostly a track toy that I occasionally race NASA when I can get it to run right. I might take it to Houston in October, depending on other commitments.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The cage I installed is a Lotus factory GT4 cage made of Chromoly (lighter than steel). I didn't get a chance to weigh it but I am guessing around 35 to 40 lbs added weight. My buddy had his shop make a jig of it and another shop made a steel cage for his 211 and it weighed around 70 lbs. None of us in the 211 class have aero helmets and I don't experience any issues. I am pretty low in the seat though.
    I am not sure where the 211 classes in SCCA or NASA but a fellow 211 owner was racing NASA a month ago or so at Chuckwalla. Unfortunately he got T boned in his race.

I just got back from our first LotuscupUSA event at Chuckwalla. We had 5 211's in the field one of which was the only 211 GT4 in the country. I will post some photos and some vids of the race.

Kverges I've seen your car in LT threads, looks like a monster. You should race with us in LCUSA in the open class! Would love to have you compete with us.

10. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Great post, didn't know about this series.

How adjustable is the 211? Bars? Shocks? Springs? Aero? Ride height? Brake bias? Etc. Curious how much one can play with setup. I assume power train is all spec. thanks.

11. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Seems like mostly a west coast thing. Is this series expanding? I ask, because I would be interested in joining, if there were more east coast events (or at least potentially more East coast events). Is this a "13/13" series? Looks like fun.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    The 211 class has specifics on rules such as max 245 rwhp, certain limits on aero and ride heights. There are mods allowed with penalties, such as sequential gear box adding 25 lbs. Brake bias dual master cylinders are allowed as an upgrade.

Bottom line is that we adopted the UK rules and we do have some room for adjustments as we want to accommodate everyone into our series. There is a Spec production class, Cup Class, 211 class, and an Open class for highly modified cars.

Yes we started as a west coast series, but two years ago started an East coast series as well. I believe this year there are two events on the East Coast in NJ and one in TX (schedule is here: http://www.lotuscupusa.us/index.php/calendar/
    We are definitely expanding and our sponsors are Lotus USA, Motul, Yokohama (our spec tire this year), and many other local sponsors.
    Let me know if you want more info. for the east coast, I can put you in touch with Jim and Robbie, director of the series. Hope you can join us!

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #13 plastique999, Mar 27, 2012
    Vids and Photos of our event at Chuckwalla this past weekend.
    This is a vid of a buddy of mine in a 211 - he was penalized during qualifying but made up a lot of ground in just his first lap....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP513Sf6qxU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Pics of my 211 and my buddy's

Photo of the only 211 GT4 in the country!!! - Has Sequential gear box, dual master brake cylinders, dry sump, and many other upgraded mods. He is classed in the open class.

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  15. Jaffster

Jaffster Karting

Mar 27, 2010
    They also have a GT3 Redbull car - is that legal to run? It would Clean Up!

Video looks good, but it kind of looks like a DE, not much aggressive racecraft going on. Seems like a lot of coasting. Cool cars though.

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    :D

Robbie Montinola talked to me about that series, on the East Coast. We had five or six ready to run but there was never any critical mass. Sounds like a cool local series. Sector 111 supports it?

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Any Lotus can run in the series - this isn't Pro racing...

Far from DE - define aggressive - do you want a crash? cuz I have a video for you....
    Not sure what you race, but feel free to join us and see if we are "coasting"

You know Robbie! as you know, he's the director of our series and he's done a great job getting the series up and running. I agree it is still in its nascent stage, and we are growing.
    Yes, Shinoo and Sector111 supports the series as does Lotus USA, Motul, Yokohama, and others.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    If anyone is interested in a Lotus 211 for sale, PM me....

19. ITR TCHR

ITR TCHR Karting

Aug 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    What type of lap times are you running in each of the lotuses at big track willow?

20. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    Have you priced the cost to repair/replace a Lotus clam? From video, this looked more like vintage racing in which the participants are pushing it 100%, but very cautious around other cars because the of the high cost of repairing/replacing vehicle damage. Its not like Spec Miata.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sorry haven't check this thread in a while....just as an update, I am selling my 211 and racing in the production class this year in a spec Elise. The reason is that the field of competition is much larger. I'm excited to say that our next race will be at Laguna Seca this weekend, and our race field should be 30+ cars. I will post some video...

Big Willow was our first event, and I ran a 1:31.xx in a spec Elise (190 hp, around 1800 lbs, on Yoko S04's). The 211's were running about 4-5 seconds faster.

You are correct, I would liken our racing to a vintage style racing. We really want to avoid contact because fiberglass damage can be costly vs. banging out dents in a Miata in SCCA. The LotusCup group is pretty tight knit, and we know each other pretty well. No one is super aggressive. There is no brake checking, or "blocking" (weaving) to protect lines. Passing is allowed when one car's nose breaks the plane of the other car's nose. That being said, there has been some great dicing, and contact is inevitable. I have repaired front and rear clams on more than one occasion.
    Depends on who you know, but I know a great fiberglass/painter who has painted my 211 as well as my current Elise, and repairs/paint can be under $1000.
    I have a spare front clam for my current spec Elise which I bought used for $700 on Lotustalk and I'll have it painted for around $500.

I did blow an engine at Big Willow, and the cost of a used engine with low miles was around $3000 and of course labor added a about another $3000 along with other upgrades.
    Those are some basic running costs.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Why do you have an elise and a 211 for the track. What shocks and spring rates do you use.

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I raced the 211 last year - super fun car and very fast but the field was very small. The 211 is currently for sale.

This year I decided to race in the spec Elise class for more competition. Our last race this past weekend at Laguna Seca had 30+ cars in the race and 16 were in the spec class - makes for more fun and competition.

Rules allow double adjustables in the spec class but I am in Nitron 46mm singles.

Here's some action at Laguna Seca