First trip to Italy - what to do/expect? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

First trip to Italy - what to do/expect?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rkm, Jan 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    This past summer we hit the Auto Grill just north of Bologna on our way to Maranello. There were a few Ferrari's in the parking lot! All the locals were the the McDonalds, we walked right up to the little Italian bistro and watched them make our lunch, which was excellent.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Get to work on it now. You'll need a letter from your priest to the Bishop. Bishop to Vatican. You'll have an English speaking tour guide, ours was some kind of restorer working at the Vatican museum. Don't be late for your tour, I remember somebody in our small group was 5 minutes late and they missed it.

3. acuransx20001

acuransx20001 Karting

May 19, 2005
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    In regards to the Scavi tour, you can also email the Vatican to request a date/time. The information is here: Visit of the Excavations below St. Peter's Basilica

This is how I made the resrvation and all worked out well.

4. jeffb99tx

jeffb99tx Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I seem to recall that my wife really enjoyed walking around the open air markets that some of the cities have. I think she purchased a good quality sweater there. I also bought her some small, inexpensive jewlery from Florence.

Allow time for that and she may tolerate your various car museums.

Cheers,

Jeff

5. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Watch out for pickpockets. You can't believe how good they are.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Scavi tour; correct - sign up through the Vatican website. Worked perfect for us.
    Acuransx - regarding il Latini - thank you! We ate there last year; loved it, but never knew what the after dinner drink was !
    Kevin

7. awman

awman Rookie

Aug 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    Jim Foster
    I have to agree with everything here (except for not seeing Venice). You could accidentally drop your camera in Venice and it would still be a frameable photo :)

Our other favorites over the years have definitly been Maranello, the Cinque Terre, ANY hilltop Tuscan town and Rome if you go that far South. Unless you're a history buff, Northern Italy will be more romantic. Rome may make a better trip for your next visit (and there will be a next visit!). Driving the Alps would also be good for your third visit...

One thing that I didn't see here was a Motorstars tour of the car factories around Maranello Lamborghini Pagani Ferrari Factory tour Italy Francesco knows everyone in the area and will give you a great day and show you some of the local secrets. All of the tours see the Ferrari and Lamborghini sites and then you can choose among the others. I recommend the Maserati collection - it is not usually open to the public and it is on-site at Umberto Panini's Hombre cheese farm which is a great visit itself. I'm not usually a fan of tours, but he gives you several great personalized factory/museum visits in one day.

If you're a hard-core race historian, the Nuvolari Museum in Mantova just North of Modena is a nice visit. Mantova is a typical small town and you can see his 1935 German GP trophy.

8. cobmw

cobmw Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 22, 2006
    Rocky Mountain area
    Motorstars will also do the Ducati factory tour.

If in Verona see the opera Aida at the open air coliseum. Fabulous experience even if you are not that much into opera. Arena Verona - Official website of the Verona Arena Foundation

And if staying in Verona you can take the train for a day trip to Venice.

9. cobmw

cobmw Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 22, 2006
    Rocky Mountain area
    Some scenes from Aida:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBOKYqqkCXc]Italy: Open-air opera in Verona (AIDA) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJPmv-OeMEA]AIDA opera in Verona Amphitheatre - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwv652MBrXQ]AIDA:marcia trionfale - Arena Verona 07 06 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Performances are usually sold out in advance. Start looking for tickets early.

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It happens a lot in Southern Europe. My parents have been robbed in Rome and Barcelona.

Onno

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    10 days in May.......like others have said don't try to do or see too many of the major cities. Otherwise you will spend too much time packing, unpacking, fretting about making the train, worried about getting lost if you drive.......and so on. It can take some of the fun out of the trip.

Tuscany is centrally located. Florence is a must for any 1st timer. It's a walking city where you don't have to drive anywhere to see and experience the best. The Duomo in Firenza took 800 years to build by stone cutters and builders. It's beautiful. It seems that English is the primary language in Florence, making it an easy and comfortable stay. From Tuscany going to Modena/Maranello is a 2 hour drive. In Tuscany the beautiful towns of Cortona, San Gimignano, Volterra and more are very easy to see. Think about staying in one place for 4 days and making the day trips to Maranello and Sienna.

The Amalfi Coast......what can you say about some of the most beautiful towns built into the sides of the mountain? Breathtaking. Take the trip to the island of the stars......Capri. And Positano and Ravella are also wonderful places to visit. Maybe 3 days here.

Not knowing where you will be flying out of or into could determine your 3rd based location. If it's Milano then Lake Como, Garda or Maggiore are must see places. In Como take the various ferries to Bellagio or other stops. Although a bit touristy it still is a beautiful lake and area. Another great town that's an hour and a half from Milano is Positano and Santa Margherita...one of our favorite towns on the Med.

Just don't try to do too much although tempting. Every hour traveling the Autostradas can take away from the experience. My wife and I have gone about a dozen times and seen most regions except Sicily. Our best trips have been when we stayed in one or two locations and did day trips w/o luggage.

12. TdF

TdF Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    In Florence don't miss the Uffizzi or the National Academy (where you will see
    the statue David). Plan ahead as the Academy has limited hours.

13. JPSIII

JPSIII Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Phillip Sartin
    So many choices. Narrow down some specific cities first and then a lot at least 3 or 4 days for them, especially big ones like Florence and Venice. When my family went, my favorite place, besides Maranello, was probably Florence. Truly an incredibly beautiful city with SO much to do and just a general laid back feel. Venice is also a winner but it can be touristy. Rome is great but in the main areas with the largest sights it gets VERY touristy and also the street vendors can get a bit obnoxious. Nevertheless, whatever you choose to do, it will be great because Italy is truly a spectacular country!

14. rkm

rkm Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Spring Hill
    Full Name:
    Robert Monroe
    Wow! So many great suggestions! Thank you all again. This is going to be very difficult to decide where to go and what to see.

In comparing flight prices it looks like there wouldn't be a lot of difference whether we flew into Milan, Florence, or Rome. That should provide more flexibility than I thought I would have.

I like the idea of flying into Milan and making our way down to Maranello, then Florence and fly out from Rome. I really want to at least get a couple days to touch on the main sites in Rome before we leave. That would allow at least a couple of days in each city and allow more flexibility to change our plans in between the flights. It doesn't seem like the trips between each city would be too bad (time wise).

Man, so many options!!

(I think the renting a Ferrari IN Maranello is going to have to be a must if it isn't outrageous now)

15. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    If in Rome, stop by the Ducati cafe for some food. The tiramisu was amazing!

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Robert - that's the order we did; flew into Milan, rented a car (got lost on the way into Milan); drove to Maranello, drove to Flornce, then to Rome. Key tip I got from my friend we visited in Rome. When you get to Rome, turn the rental car in. Rome is absolutely nuts to drive & park around. Also the hotels charge you parking fees that can be pricey. Save your $$ and your stress; take cabs and walk everywhere.....
    Kevin

17. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    expect hot women. i remember being in a mcdonalds thinking the cashier was hot. no joke.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    +1. Same route last summer. I posted a thread on visit to Ferrari factory with pics and travel tips, some of which was an aggregation of others' experiences, too.

19. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I did the same thing I returned the car a few days early to the Rome airport and took a taxi to Rome. There is limited parking in Rome and traffic is a mess. One tip when returning your car to the airport there are no signs where the car rental return is. Finally I found a tiny sign near a roundabout. Be sure to get specific direction on where to return the car,

20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    We used Hertz - they have a location within walking distance of the Vatican; much easier than going to the airport. But - we researched this heavily before we went

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, return it in Rome instead of the airport. Hertz has a location on Via Sardegna that is walking distance to the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora. The hotel is at the top of Via Veneto, which makes it relatively easy to drive to from outside Rome, and is walking distance to the Spanish Steps.

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    We also stayed at the Grand Flora; what a beautiful hotel!
    I also played soccer with our son in Borghese park on the other side of the wall from the hotel...
    We had a room with a balcony overlooking via veneto....
    Wish I were there now!
    Kevin

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    think of it this way.
    rome is an outdoors museum
    florence is an indoors museum
    two totally different feelings.
    ed

24. BlackMondial32

BlackMondial32 Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    meno male che ci siete voi a desiderare di venire in italia!

io me ne voglio andare al piu presto!

we are close to default