Fitness Goals for 2013? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fitness Goals for 2013?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 575Mike, Dec 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I'm just getting back into my intense training again. My biggest goal is to try and enjoy weights. I truly find it very boring but am a sucker for cardio training.

I'm currently in the 200-205lbs area with a height of 6' 1". Far from overweight but my last year long training cut me down from 240 to 190 lbs.

Weight Goals: Cut down some fat...last I checked I was at roughly 18% BF. This will drop to below 10% by the summer.

Training Goals: I want to get more used to a lifting routine. I would rather cycle for an hour then to lift weights. This will be one of my biggest hurdles. Also, I want to start some generic boxing training.

Other Goals: Continue running but push for cycling this summer. I would like to enter a cycling race this summer.

Good luck everyone and give it your all.

2. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt

Good and detailed program man, really. Just some adds:
    - Get rid of the cereal, bars, and dairy, Focus sourcing wild meat and good fats
    - Add in some BCAA's
    - Don't worry about 'Cardio'. All resistance training is cardio. You're %BF is already low enough and will get lower with more mass.

-Billy

3. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Thanks for the feedback;

I dont eat cereal bars, only protein bars with almost no fat or sugar. The Kashi I mentioned was an actual breakfast cereal [and quite good for you at 13g protein, 1g fat, 6g sugar and lots of fiber ] , and I am progressively dropping to 1% and Soy. Same for my home made lattes going with 50% light soy and 1% milk.

You may say to ditch the cereal, and maybe you are right, but I have tried other breakfast foods like cottage cheese with a little fruit and nothing else kicks me into the day like cereal and milk. Maybe for the last 6 weeks I could switch to almond milk (30 cal / cup), and/or cottage cheese.

Trent: I do take BCAAs, just failed to mention it. I have some pills and one of my protein powders have it as well. I also take L-Arginine (1g/day), about half dosage. The container recommends 1-3g/day.

Trent: Agree, for the long haul I like to work my heart, and I think my exercise program does that just fine. I think most people go the cardio route because it burns more calories instantly, which is true. But once you put on some muscle via lifting, then you have to feed that mass every day, working out or not. During the off days the cardio only people are down 300+ cal, where the weight lifters are only down 100-150.

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I must say I'm off to a solid start. I've got a few free trial memberships at local places to try them out. I've done only a few days of weights but have worked every body part, weight wise, twice!

Since January began I have been playing hockey 2-3 times a week which is a great way to enjoyably add about 1h of cardio. I've also got multiple runs/workouts in between such as a 7.5km run today, 12km run, 2 hours on an elliptical and more. This exercise combined with a better diet has worked a bit already.

I believe I was weighing in at around 205 before and just recently I weighed in at 195lbs. This was on a rather empty stomach but I feel quite confident I have dropped under 200 lbs already.

February will be the month I sign up officially for a gym and start going aggressively. I have a trip in April that would be a nice goal to be atleast toned up.

Give it your all everyone.

5. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    I'm a new guy...mostly hanging out in the 360/430 section, but thought I'd throw in my goals. This should also serve as an example to all of you as to how NOT to wind up!

I am...in short...a disaster. 5'9" and 300lbs. Lots of years of being careless, and a few very tough years over the last few (divorce, parents passed away, etc.). Trouble sleeping, look awful, clothes don't fit, etc. All the things that make you feel like a real loser. Well I finally got disgusted enough with myself and have started out on a new program...kind of my own doing...this year.

Diet: I've cut out almost all red meat. I stick with chicken, turkey and fish almost always grilled. More fresh fruit and veggies, although some frozen will do in a pinch. I've cut out all white flour and white sugar. Whole wheat and black bean tortillas are my friends. I still drink a diet soda now and then, but nothing like before. I limit myself to two cups of coffee per day. One in the morning and an iced coffee in the early afternoon. Lean Cuisines, Campbell's Soup-At-Hand, raw almonds and dried cherries are a staple during the day. I also stop eating after 6PM and drink mostly water.

Exercise: At first, I could barely move, which was heartbreaking because I used to run and lift weights. I started on the treadmill every night for 10 minutes. I'm up to 30 minutes now. I have dusted off the Bowflex and am using it every other day. I also started back in taking Kung-Fu twice a week. First time in 10 years. Trying to make your body move in ways it wasn't designed to at my size is...well...it's damned funny sometimes. But my Sifu is a very understanding teacher LOL

To say that the last 3 weeks have been excruciating has been an understatement. I still ache, although less so than when I started. My breathing is better, but still labored at times. I'm starting to sleep marginally better through the night. My goals are to drop 100+ pounds and be a 36 waist. Again. My jeans are juuuust starting to loosen up. I also want to be off all blood pressure and cholesterol meds that I currently take.

My kids are my biggest inspiration. And I'd like for them to be proud of me too. I don' think I've undertaken anything this hard in my life and being 52, it's that much harder.

That's it guys. Off I go, and hopefully I'll be posting before and after pics soon.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Congratulations. It sounds like you are doing a great job. At this rate you will make the goal and keep on going.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You are clearly more serious than I am now but two things I did were:
    - Switched to Caffe' Americano (just espresso and water, very low cal)
    - Replaced cereal with instant oatmeal. Not every day but some. It is easy, low fat, and fixed size smaller servings so pretty low calorie.

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Mike,

Best of luck in your journey! You feel great and trust me it's worth it. As noted before I was in a similar position. I played lots of sports in my mid-teens but once that completed I put on weight at a quick pace. You could imagine what cutting hockey 5 days a week could do to your body. It was at this point when I weighed in at 240lbs.

The most important, as noted by Trent, is a consistent approach. My training was intense at first but it leveled off into something I could maintain. 2km or running turned into 10km and my diet remained rather in tact.

My only suggestion is if your committed try looking into possible programs where you get compensated to lose weight. I never even though of this until I cut my +50lbs. I'm not even sure how to approach it but just a suggestion.

Best of luck in achieving your goals.

9. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Mike, Thanks for sharing your story. This is a yearly thread, as in "goals for 2013", and I think that is where you should be, with a one mile high and long term approach. Take it slow and steady. One thing is for sure, if you maintain 300 pounds at 5'9" at 52 yrs old, you will not live very long and that would be a tragedy.

Take it sow and steady. Here are my key points;
    1. Take in less calories than you burn each day. This means you have to know your BMR (calorie burn rate) and track what you eat. I use an app called "My Fitness Pal" (iPhone), there are hundreds, get one and use it.
    2. Exercise in a sustainable manor, and dont over do it! If you get injured it will be counterproductive.
    3. Set a hard goal for weight and fitness level. Once you reach that goal you can change Step 1 to : Calories in = calories burnt.
    4. Dont bring anything in your house that you are not planning on eating! So many people buy stuff that they dont have the will power to not eat. Also dont go to restaurants that dont serve something healthy. Dont go to restaurants that over-feeds everyone, like Carrabbas, texas roadhouse, etc.
    5. Buy a good scale, one with a graphic history. It wont lie to you.

You can do it! All it takes is a little determination and a sprinkle of will power.

I look forward to reading your 2013 success summary and 2014 goals next year.

And lastly, if you have not watched "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead", its good entertainment and may inspire. *I am not advocating only drinking juiced veggies.

10. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #60 Trent, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My coffee is:
    2 shots espresso (calories 10 : 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 protein, 2g carb)
    0.5 cup light vanilla soy (40 cal, 3.5 g protein, 6g carb, 1g fat)
    0.5 cup 1% milk (60 cal, 1.25g fat, 4g protein, 6g carb)
    --milk premixed in carafe--
    2x pumps sugar free sweetener with no nutritional value
    Total:
    Calories: 110
    Fat: 2g
    Carbs: 14g
    Protein: 7.5g
    ...and my coffee is a delicious, foamy, aeromatic wonderland, thus qualifying as a dessert, snack, or treat in my book.

My machine makes a mean Caffe' Americano, but its just not the same. The 110 cal with about 8 g protein is fine with me.

My machine in action at my house: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlHjqk6Dq8]Saeco Xelsis - YouTube[/ame]

I do eat oatmeal every once and a while, but it does not match up with my cereal.

I use low sugar oatmeal, but it lacks in protein especially when you account for the fact I dont use very much milk in my oatmeal, like 1/2 a cup. Where in my cereal I get 1 cup. (image)
    Cereal + 1 cup 1% milk: 250 cal, 22g protein!
    Oatmeal + 1/2 cup 1% milk: 170 cal, 7g protein.
    Summary: I get an extra 15 g protein for the extra 80 cal. 60 of which is from the protein! So only 20 extra non protein calories.

Just for public knowledge:
    Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Thank you Trent, Tamas and John for your encouragement. I will take all of your suggestions to heart and work them in. And I'll keep everyone posted. :)

And Trent - that is one serious espresso maker! WOW! I thought I was stylin' with my Keurig! LOL

12. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Trent,
    You are getting a lot of your protein from Soy. Soy is a legume/bean, and I won't get into all of the specifics, of gmo's & estrogen, but soy is no good, no how, no way, anyway you slice it. Beans overall are an insufficient source of all nutrients, protein and fiber included, when compared to meats and vegetables.
    The Urban Caveman beans

The kashi cereal you list has cane sugar, corn, barley, etc...grains..you do not need 'em!
    Although you are getting great results now, to take it to the next level, you just have to give grains the boot.
    A great substitute is coconut milk, and a high quality protein powder, in a shake.

Don't think I'm bashing, just trying to help the serious! But, grains, beans, and dairy have no place in the human diet.

-Billy

13. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #63 Trent, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Billy, Thanks for your feedback. I listen to everyone, test the logic, and on occasion modify my behavior.

In this case:
    1. Soy: I take in 1 - 1.5 cups of soy per day, or ~20 grams of my targeted 160. The rest comes from:
    .a. Meat: Mostly plain chicken breasts, but some red meat, always lean.
    .b. Milk: I love milk and wont give it up, but I have trimmed it back to 1%, taking in 3-4 cups / day, in coffee, cereal, and protein shakes.
    .c. Protein shakes: 1-2/day at 30grams / serving (whey isolate) + protein from the milk = ~40grams / serving. I know most people believe that any more than 30g / serving can not be absorbed, but I have not read anything to throw much fact behind it.
    .d. Power bars; I take the Detour (*best I have ever had!!) 15g protein, 3g sugar, 5g fat. Not perfect but they feel like real food, and I take 2x / day on average as snacks.

I will attach images of all of my supplements for review.

As far as the cereal, its not perfect, but without a suggested replacement will have to remain intact. I am open for suggestions.

As far as the next level; its more of the top of my current level as my target. A few more pounds, a few less percent BF, thats it. Really just to switch-it-up a bit.

I hope this comes across as factual, not defensive.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    please list high quality products, by name for supplements(creatine, arginine, bcaa, etc).
    is eas brand any good? costco brand protein?
    thanks,
    ed

15. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    SOY
    You have to pitch the soy man, really. Like I said before, it is a bean, and common sense states that beans don't yield milk, almonds (almond milk) included. It is a highly gmo, sprayed with pesticides, add to that the detriments: anti-nutrients like phytic acid, isolated isoflavones like phytoestrogens which have been shown to cause tumors, thyroid dysfunction, the list goes on. Moral of the story, find a different source of milk if you need/crave it. Raw dairy or coconut. Heck, you're better off with a little half & half in your coffee than low fat milk. Fermented soy (tofu, tempeh, etc), is an option, a better one, but limited.
    Here is a good read on soy: Scrutinizing Soy | Mark's Daily Apple
    MEATS
    Don't worry about 'lean' meats, worry about the source. Fatty meat is not bad, as long as it's wild or grass fed. Conventional feedlot cattle are fed corn (and soybeans!), raising the Omega-6 levels in their fatty tissue (and yours, but marbling is good..right?). In addition, ruminant species cannot digest grains, so they get sick, are injected with pharma until slaughter. Farm raised fish are just as bad. Read Michael Pollan's book: The Omnivore's Dilemma.
    MILK
    I am not going to harp on dairy, because there is a huge post on my site (The Urban Caveman dairy) if you want the facts. But ask yourself this: Can you name another species on the planet that ingests milk from another species, and after they've been weened?
    PROTEIN SHAKES
    Love 'em. I am in the protein business and created my own because most of it is junk, Muscletech being one of them. If there is more than just the proteins or fats in the mix, you have a problem. You can check out mine and decide for yourself: Structure lean fuel
    BARS
    Check out the list of ingredients on that detour bar and get back to me!
    CEREAL
    As stated before, grains have no place in the human diet. There are a ton of better breakfast options, shakes and eggs w/meat being two.
    SUPPLEMENTS
    I have no issue with BCAA and creatine as long as they are pure powders and not dumped in a mix with sugar, food colorings, and artificial flavors.

Hope this helps,

-Billy

16. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
  17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I believe there is a lot of misinformation on Soy products. Some of the misinformation is ignorance, some results from outdated or debunked studies, and most are just repeating what others have said. Repeating misinformation without research is careless.

Please note my references are from wikipedia, webMD, government reports, and university studies.

1. Yes soy has no nipple. I drink soy "milk" knowing the term milk is used to describe the fluids consistency. I drink soy fluids because it has a high protein content with reasonable levels of fat and sugar, all while being delicious to my taste palate.

2. Soys protein is just that; protein. All proteins are different, sure, but that does not make soy protein any less of a protein. It is classified as a protein by the FDA. Soy is classified as a complete protein. (19) "A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of humans or other animals"

3. Soy and estrogen levels. While it is true that in the early 2000's there was a study that showed an increase in estrogen by people who consumed soy, thus study was later debunked, and many studies since then have shown no link between soy consumption and an increase in estrogen. (123)(125).

4. Soy and cancer. The study that had linked soy to a higher tumor return in breast cancer patients has been overturned and all recent studies that I have read shows no relation. I did read a recent study that showed a small relationship with high soy intake and a REDUCED chance of prostate cancer. (80)(*note that WebMD is not convinced on this point because the high soy intake group, which had lower risk for prostate cancer also had a Asian diet, and thus possibly something else in the diet may have reduced the cancer risk)

5. Soy Processing. Just like with any food stuff, it depends on the item in question. I buy organic soy, which is manufactured using 100% organic soy beans with no pesticides, etc.

6. Soy and Heart disease. The FDA has approved the use of soy as an "official cholesterol-lowering food" (93).

7. Soy Risk? By my research, the primary risk of moderate soy intake is Allergy. You figure this one out on the first serving in most cases.

References:
    WebMD []SOY]: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
    Wikipedia
    ..Soybean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (19)Henkel, John (May–June 2000). "Soy:Health Claims for Soy Protein, Question About Other Components". FDA Consumer (Food and Drug Administration) 34 (3): 18–20. PMID 11521249.
    (80) University of Maryland Medical Center. Retrieved February 18, 2012. []Complementary and Alternative Medicine Index (CAM)
    (93) "How do Front & Back Package Labels Influence Beliefs About Health Claims?". Cornell University Food and Brand Lab. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
    (123) Hamilton-Reeves, Jill M.; Vazquez, Gabriela; Duval, Sue J.; Phipps, William R.; Kurzer, Mindy S.; Messina, Mark J. (2010). "Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: Results of a meta-analysis". Fertility and Sterility 94 (3): 997–1007. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.04.038. PMID 19524224.
    (125)Messina, Mark (2010). "Soybean isoflavone exposure does not have feminizing effects on men: A critical examination of the clinical evidence". Fertility and Sterility 93 (7): 2095–104. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2010.03.002. PMID 20378106.

18. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Hey Man, I won't hammer you on Soy anymore, if you like it...have at it, there are worse foods. All I'm saying is there are a heck of a lot better (and less potentially controversial) sources of protein than soybeans.

- Coconut milk is a FAR superior choice of white liquid.
    - Your soy milk is not soy protein but pressed soybeans with added water
    - If you're using it for protein, you know there are FAR better sources of protein
    - If you're using it to put on cereal, you should know the human body functions horribly on cereal grains.

As far as who to believe, well, the FDA is meaningless, you know that. WebMd is funded by the medical association who, as far as I know, know zero about eating and nutrition, thus the current state of human health and supply of statin drugs.
    (Meta)studies cited on Wikipedia are only as good as the control group. Meaning, unless the study tracks everything they are ingesting, the study is flawed.

-Billy

19. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Since the title of this thread is "Fitness Goals for 2013?" I'll share mine.

5'-11", Asian-American, Medium Build, uncomfortable with gut any longer at 186.6#.

For a period of about 2 years, I've been "fat and happy," meaning I know I've gained a fair amount of weight, but I've not been disappointed by it. Mind you, I've never been particularly fitness-oriented. More concerned with good cardio health rather than being toned or muscular.

I'm a rather impulsive person, so one day very recently I woke up and decided I was no longer happy with my current physical state. Thus, I have resolved to lose weight. My wife (a physician) is urging me to become more toned, but my personal first step will be to lose about 20 - 25 lbs. I'd like to comfortably fall within the 160-165 lbs. range and STAY there.

So, now I'm waking up at 5:00 am every morning for a cardio workout in my home. Also doing the Slim Fast stuff for meals, with dinner being mostly a salad. I'm trying to cut out as much fat as I can, and I'm watching the calories of everything I eat. Now, I'm one of those people who reads the nutrition label carefully before I put anything in my shopping basket. I've also added Alli, though I'm not certain it will do much. It really can't hurt me, so the potential upside outweighs the potential downside, IMO.

That's it. I wanna lose 20-25 lbs, and then I'll reward myself with something small. Like a 360 Spider! :D
    I'll work on getting more toned and muscular after I feel more comfortable with my weight.

God, driving a desk at the office makes for a sedentary lifestyle. Plus 2 little kids and I'm too tired to do anything else. But I'm a man of discipline, and once I set down a path, I'll follow it to the end. Just the previous path had too many donuts along the way... :D

20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This thread has been quite silent lately but I'll give it a bump!

My progress this month has been excellent. Signed up for a full year membership at the gym so now I can do cardio more often and weights as well. Typically I would run once or twice a week (3-6 miles) and play hockey twice a week. This changed if the weather was not ideal so it ended up in lots of twice a week hockey only. My protein has also arrived so I can combine that for faster recovery.

I went to the gym 3 times this week, just signed up Tuesday, and played hockey twice. I'm going for a hardcore cardio session tomorrow and just finished a powerful chest/tricep & abs workout. Tomorrow's plan is to get between 1hr and 1.5hr of solid cardio done in the morning. I'd like to run 6 miles followed by a stationary bike. Night time will see me return to do back,bicep, and shoulder muscles.

Well on my way of adapting a steady weight lifting routine this year. I'm also feeling positive that for the first time ever I will have a "summer body".

21. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    New goal - I haven't benched over 225 since forever. I'm repping 177 and want to pass 205 this year.

22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Agree grains are so bad. Grains, sugars, boo.

Meat
    Veggies
    Seeds, nuts
    Fruits

But I can't stop drinking the beer so I still get some grains lol

23. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    I’m on the Bowflex every night and I’m up to ½ hour on the treadmill at 3MPH. The other night I took a full, deep breath for the first time in months. When I started here at work, I was elevator only. Couldn’t make it up the stairs without being winded and stopping. I haven’t been on the elevator in weeks…I fly up the stairs. I think for the first time in years I’m in my zone. Time to step it up and really put the screws to myself. My goal is to be off my BP and Cholesterol meds before the end of summer.

Cooking healthy too. Lots of fruits, veggies. More than I've ever eaten. NO white sugar or flour AT ALL. Vegetable stir-frys, fresh fruit for snacks. My wheezing is gone. I fall asleep immediately and sleep through the night. I wake up without a headache or my jaw sore from sleeping poorly or apnea symptoms. I’m not nodding off during the day.

Today was a huge potluck at work. Was offered tons of stuff. Ate a few carrots and that was it. Next week, I'm buying a road bike.

I haven't weighed myself...don't want to yet...but the jeans that I actually had to lay down on the bed to zip are now starting to slip off. I can pull the leg material out and fold it in half.

I've started seeing this gal (yes...I'm WAY overchicked) and she's very into healthy eating and lifestyle and is helping me with food choices. She’s someone who liked me for me at my absolute worst. I figure she deserves to have my absolute best.

Amazing how your body will heal itself. Wow. Just wow! Hang in there everyone!

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    my 2 cents, dont give up fats, go low carb. the weight and bloating will QUICKLY disappear.
    ed

25. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Great to hear! Keep up the hard work.