F40 LM Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #26 Traveller, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, having been set straight, here is the first post!

Aside from the original Michelotto LM's, the 27 other cars as listed by Michael Sheehan in his definitive article on the LM, all started their life as road cars. 84326 was no different and finally ended up in an unusual configuration running twin KKK turbos with twin waste gates and adjustable boost putting out approx 720 BHP. It competed in some races in the 1996 BPR without any distinction and probably it's greatest claim to fame was that it lapped Hockenheim quicker, just, than a Maclaren FI GTR, so it was no slouch. It is also featured in the book covering the series.

When I bought it, it looked good as per images I will post in a next instalment, but once we got into the detail, it turned out it was a real mess, and 8 years in a damp barn had taken their toll.

The real issue has been whether to restore or continue its evolution and I eventually decided that I would continue its evolution seeing as how it achieved no great success on track in its original format and has continued to evolve during its life so might as well continue now. Consequently, as it is described by Michael Sheehan as an LM/GTE, I thought I might as well continue updating it accordingly.

So, we have stripped her down to almost a bare shell, and the aim is to upgrade all areas to full spec whilst leaving the engine as it raced, and we are lucky in that Michelotto has agreed to supply us with parts, specifically brakes, hubs, suspension etc which he is normally not happy to do unless for an ex race car.

Thanks to our Dutch friends on F Chat, I have managed to unearth its history and as chronologically we should start there, here are some great shots courtesy of them during the 1996 BPR.

Next up a few more race shots and then where we started, somewhat of an illusion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Awesome.

Are you getting the same brake calipers as I received for mine? I'll send you another email with the pics. I received the same calipers and rotors for all 4 corners, which is interesting.

3. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Full Michelotto LM brakes and rotors with GTE uprights is what I understand, but interested to see what you are getting.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I just sent you an email with the pics of them installed on the car right now.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    pictures of the process will bring people to the thread that is what I want to see!

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Do you intend to campaign it when done? If so in what catagory?

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you Tim, bro hug!! :)

8. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Looking forward to follow the progress that's being made. Which shop is restoring your car?

Gr. Martin

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No, I won't campaign her but use primarily on the track for fun. Hope to follow the Mille Miglia in the Ferrari parade perhaps and do a few events. Work is being done by a small shop in the UK called Mototechnique who I know from old when they rebuilt my 365 Spyder and they recently did a full ground up on a 250 GTO, so they know their stuff-real old fashioned artisans.

10. dinges

dinges Karting

Jan 1, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Aram
    Hi Tim,

Don't be put off by the "lack" of reply's, there are many lurkers (like me) who love these threads but can't think of anything usefull to add so just enjoy the story without commenting.

I just spent 3 years building a car and documented it on a few forums, and on some the interaction is much higher than on others, but if you keep an eye on the amount of topic views you will see that many people are watching it.

So don't worry, you have an audience, and who wouldn't with a car like yours!!

Now, I think I can speak on behalf of all the lurkers when i say..

We want more pics!!

;)

Aram.

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    bring it on ! i would love it. thanks for the effort.

12. PAUL. S

PAUL. S Karting
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2011
    #37 PAUL. S, Feb 6, 2013
    Just managed to scan the advert from the March 2002 issue of Classic and Sportscar which ran an F40 article that month as well.

I purchased my current car from oakfields, Ian Donaldson the owner is easy to deal with and their in house auto historian Ian Sutcliffe is a mine of info and would probably have all the files still on the car if you wanted to give them a ring. I am still in regular contact with the company.

Hope that fills in another gap.

13. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    +1, along with as much of a description as you have time to post along with the pics.

Best of luck in the restoration and (eventual) driving, you're living the dream!
    cheers

14. Skovbo

Skovbo Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoyed reading that.

I think you have made the right choice continuing the evolution of the car.

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #40 Traveller, Feb 7, 2013
  16. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Not to be curious, but what type of car..?

Gr. Martin

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #43 Traveller, Feb 9, 2013
    ROMO likes this.
  18. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I find it amazing that a car like this can end up in a damp barn. Best of luck with the restoration and well done on the purchase

19. Scuderia-F1

Scuderia-F1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders
    Great thread, I´d REALLY LIKE to see some build-pics of this beauty!

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And you will but it is going to take time. And money.

Just heard that the outrageously expensive Titanium, Magnesium and Avional (?) but utterly beautiful Michelotto four corners won't be with us for four weeks, but at least we have managed to secure the real deal.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Intercoolers are tricky. The ones in the pic have more surface area than the stock units but the stock BEHR's where quite abit thicker thus most likely had almost an equal amount of flow. Yet more surface area certainly has a better rate of cooling.

Also the twin wastegates will also give you more "fine tuning" capabilities regarding what boost levels you can safely run per bank.

Great pics! :cool:

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Being somewhat of a novice on a steep learning curve here, what exactly are the advantages of twin waste gates?

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    In a perfect world or should I say IMHO each turbo should have its own dedicated WG (wastegate). WG's have springs in them that are set in lb's and once the max boost ( in lb's) for that WG's spring has been reached the WG's valve will open thus relieving any excessive boost. This action will save pistons, rods, headgaskets and even entire motors and there is also the chance of what I like to call "boost reflux" and that is when the cylinder heads exhaust reaches the WG but the WG does not open and when that happens alot of expelled exhaust gasses and fuel can bounce back towards or even into the cylinder head.

If I were you I rebuild the WG/WG's and buy a few extra sets of WG springs and I would also have the injectors balanced and blueprinted. The next step would be to make sure you are running cooler plugs and then hit the dyno for a tuning session. Preferably one that can run/control a wideband 02 sensor for each bank of cylinders. Just remember that with each and every significant change to intake/fuel/exhaust may require 1hr on the dyno to stay in the safe zone.

I think the biggest advantage you have is that you are asking alot of questions and I also suggest getting 2nd, 3rd and even 4th opinions. I either live by the dyno or I take the bus ie take your time and do it right the first time.

Gregg

24. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for that, so really it is not a performance issue, but really a way of preserving and safeguarding the motor? will certainly look at balancing and blueprinting. Thanks for that.