Maserati Khamsin | Page 170 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The fuel lines are 35 years old and you're considering?

There are some marine grade fuel hoses that are supposed to be far superior. I was involved in a long discussion about this a few years back for my Espada as that silly car has a fuel hose from the rear fuel pump run through the interior of the car under the carpet! :eek:

The result is that the inside of the car begins to smell like gas as the fuel hose ages.

So some people used a special marine grade hose which isn't supposed to let the vapors seep through. :rolleyes: You can try looking for that stuff but decent quality over the counter hose these days is alcohol resistant. If abrasion protection is important just remember that S.S. braided hose grinds apart whatever it rubs on the original outer cloth braided stuff does not. It's still available.

I just went with a metal tube through the interior of my car.

The original material must have been pretty good quality to last this long.

2. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Jack,

The UK price for the seal kit is very expensive as I found out when I had to get a set from McGraths at short notice. I found MIE much cheaper, but you may be restricted by your trip. If you get sruck I have spare sets in stock I bought for K40 last year (just in case etc). I'll check over the weekend as I have soem pics to take for you. I'll snap the air filter cover from my car for you as well so you can see the original stickers it came with.

Oh and all you get in the kits are the seals, dust covers and cap for the nipple.

I'll also try to scan the parts manual page for you on the clutch if it has anything useful. (sometimes the detail is lacking)

Sorry for the delay but I've had a bad week with my 3 month old daily Focus leaking coolant and now my 4200 is almost clutchless. So that leaves me the Khamsin or my wife's car as options to get to work.

Bal

3. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    THere is another company in UK called Hiddengems that has the front Brake kits for 59 pounds. They are currently listed on ebay

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Maserati Use Copper fule lines out side the car which is handy.
    I have replaces some of the fuel lines only to find they went hard and weeped so the originals went back on. The ones on the car are still quite flexible and Cotton outer braid. There are aircraft grade lines similar but the braid is internal I have been told that lines are BMW but have yet to stop a car that uses them.
    I have found that the quality of the hoses Maserati used including the water hoses were nuch heavier grade than the usual ones found on most cars and tends to last vastly longer.If they were stiff and showed signs of cracks they would have gone long ago.

Graeme

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Bal & Eugene,

Great info again, and thank you kindly for your offer Bal! I didn't price MIE yet, but the offering by Hiddengems appears very reasonable.

Bal, no need to scan the manual, Eurospares helps out on their site, and I see no counter-nut on the sleeve-nut on the clutch actuating rod. I need to have another look under there, maybe I'm looking at the system wrongly.

A photo of your air-filter would be helpful Bal, so I know what I am looking for. I hope the weather in the UK is better than in Holland, you don't need salt on the roads when taking your Khamsin out in the elements.

Enjoy your week-end!

Jack.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #4231 Nembo1777, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tragic news, those of you who were at Khamsin Quaranta will remember Nathalie who was there with Jean Pierre owner of the Khamsin spyder.

Her career was helping those suffering grief overcome their pain and re-embrace life...in December it got to her to the extent that she decided to leave this world.

She was a very fine young lady who was appreciated by all who met her that weekend and in her life.

She can be seen on the right in the first photo and in the spyder with Jean Pierre during the tour. Cars and everything else are/is utterly unimportant when faced with such loss so please comment only about her if you do...thank you.

Rest in peace Nathalie...

best regards,

Marc...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Very sad news. Often we do not see the burdens that others carry in their hearts. Rest in peace, young lady.

8. John Berg

John Berg Rookie

Dec 12, 2009
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    #4233 John Berg, Feb 10, 2013
    Gentlemen,
    Back in my garage and finally get some time with my Khamsin – slowly getting there.
    FUEL line I have some input. As part of the fuel line is inside the car and most owners keep the care in garage, you should be considering smell and fume penetration resistance.
    Attache is apicture – from my work in the marine industry ISO / CE etc is important.
    Using the ISO 7840 A1 you will be sure that the hoses are good and no problem with small of gasoline in the car and garage.
    BOSCH Sicherheitsgurtlogik - I assume that its related to the safety belt system - can any of you explain if this is correct?
    Few pictures from my progress attached as well.

All the best
    John

9. John Berg

John Berg Rookie

Dec 12, 2009
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    #4234 John Berg, Feb 10, 2013
    Forgotten the picture of the Bosch box

10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello John...

Excellent work... I also ready the article in VCM on your K resto work... Keep up the
    good work!!!! Yes, sicherheitsgurtlogik has to do with the safety belts... It's been a while
    since I spoke german but I'm pretty certain that sicherheitsgurt is a safety belt....

Mike

11. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hello John,

You have a very nice workshop. I see that the lifts drop into pockets to be flush with the floor?

What is this box? Is it the ignition controller? It looks quite a bit different from mine

Carmine

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    John,

Beautiful!

The box certainly has to do with the safety-belts, and yes, the only function I could imagine is that it would be an ignition controller. Is/was your car a US spec?

Best,

Jack.

13. John Berg

John Berg Rookie

Dec 12, 2009
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    Correct - the lifts are flush with the floor when not used - took some time to make it all but works nice.

Hello John,

You have a very nice workshop. I see that the lifts drop into pockets to be flush with the floor?

What is this box? Is it the ignition controller? It looks quite a bit different from mine

Carmine[/quote]

14. John Berg

John Berg Rookie

Dec 12, 2009
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    Jack,

Yes the car was build for the US specification - I trust this is what is left now

The ignition controller is located in the front of the car as standard on Khamsins

BR
    John

John,

Beautiful!

The box certainly has to do with the safety-belts, and yes, the only function I could imagine is that it would be an ignition controller. Is/was your car a US spec?

Best,

Jack.[/QUOTE]

15. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Marc,

That is such sad news, I remember Nathalie well and it was with such happiness we wished every one well until the next big Khamsin event at Chateau Mersault on that last Sunday Morning.

RIP

Bal

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme

17. Maeter

Maeter Karting

Nov 13, 2001
  18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Still busy cleaning up my suspension, today I had a weird surprise.

The left right shows a totally rotted out dustcap on the upper ball-joint, which still had lots of grease and no dirt, and more important, no play, so a new cap will sove that.

Clearing the dust, I find that the dust-cover on the inside of the disk is stainless! Couldn't see that before, it was all a nasty brown/grey.

Cleaning that I found what I thought was a piece of rock between the disk and the cover. On closer inspection it turned out to be a nest, not unlike a bee-hive, but of a different, white-ish material, very hard. I also found the same in some of the vent-holes in the disk. Never seen anything like it before, and just happy that whatever was in there had hatched already:)

Best,

Jack.

19. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  20. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Jack,

I'll send you a PM with my email address. I have those pictures for you and you may be better off with the hi-res versions. Ping me a mail back and I'll send them over. Was nice to be able to get the car out and have a quick blast (and some fuel).

Cheers

Bal

21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Bal,

Great, I'm looking forward to seeing what things should look like. I sent you a mail directly to your e-mail address.

I hope the weather is warming up a little around there, as I am flying to Holland in 10 days time; must be, as I'm sure you won't take the K out with salt on the road!

Thanks much for going through the trouble!

Best,

Jack.

22. Maeter

Maeter Karting

Nov 13, 2001
  23. dougieboxer

dougieboxer Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #4248 dougieboxer, Feb 17, 2013
  24. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  25. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Other than the auto trans it seems like a nice car. Of course the new owner would have some work to do.