What kind of brake pads do not make dust? | FerrariChat

What kind of brake pads do not make dust?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ital351, Feb 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ital351

ital351 Rookie

Oct 18, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Tired of cleaning the wire wheels after every time I drive!!!
    Who makes a pad that is for street use for the 250 series cars that doesn't create much dust??

Thanks guys!
    D.

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    brake pads are a wear item, as they and the rotors wear they leave dust, you could try using a harder pad compound that will wear less, but you will need more pedal pressure, especially when pads are cold...

your best bet would be to search through the various wheel cleanng / protection products that precondition / seal the wheels when cleaned, then use their product to clean the wheels and do it more often... brake dust not cleaned frequently seems to be more difficult to remove... sealing the wheels seems to make the brake dust clean up easier as well

3. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    To the best of my knowledge, only seized brakes leave no dust.

I've asked the same question in the hopes of spending less time cleaning all of those nooks and crannies on my Dino's wheels and have yet to find a silver bullet.

Hope dies last.

Cheers...Keith

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    In the 80's you could buy a silver, metal and rubber disk that fitted between the wheel and the hub, the size of the inside of the wheel, this stopped the dust coming through and worked well from memory, but of course makes the wheel look different. No idea if you can still buy them.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Every car dealer or mechanic I've spoken to about these advises against fitting them as they don't allow heat to dissipate from the brakes causing them to overheat.

The CCM brakes on modern Ferrari's give minimal brake dust in normal driving but I doubt there are any suitable to fit a 250!

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I was involved as a consulting engineer in a lawsuit against "Kleewheels". These devices caused brake failure that resulted in a totaled BMW and our client was suing them. When we presented our data in the discovery process they quickly settled for the full amount. If you don't drive the car aggressively it is likely that you wouldn't have a problem, but they are really a bad idea.

The more capable the pad (in terms of heat capability) the more it will dust. Ceramic pads dust a lot less, but are garbage if used aggressively.

You pay's your nickel and takes your choice.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't think there's any way to eliminate brake dust. There is a polish called Rejex that is is pretty effective at preventing build-up on wheels. Any wax will help, but Rejex works better than wax or Zaino in my experience. Rejex is popular among some Porsche guys to use for the whole car. In my experience, something like Zaino has better shine than Rejex for the body, but Rejex is much better for making it easy to clean up brake dust.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I had them on my MGB V8 Roadster for around 5 years I would think. I drove down to my families house in the South of France many times with no issues, and loved nothing more than driving up the nearby mountain, to hear the V8 echo off the walls, I must have been lucky by the sound of it.

The best solution I had, was on my last Daytona [ Kit car] It was based on a XJ12 series 111 and had inboard brake's, [ the same as an XJS] so the discs where about 18"-2ft from the wheels.

I have tried lots of polishes and wax's that are supposed to keep the wheels clean, but to be honest, I had a job to tell the difference.

9. ital351

ital351 Rookie

Oct 18, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for all the responses!
    The pads that are on the car create more dust than you could imagine in a 15 mile trip. They may be old asbestos type for all I know. I guess I need to ask what Brand and Type of pads you guys are using that seem to make a minimum acceptable amount of dust. I havent bought pads for a car that I care about for a long long time. There used to be Repco, Raybestos, Ferodo... standard, semi metallic, metallic. Now there are other brands, and add polymer to the list of types. So if you know what types of pads you bought and like them, I would be interesed in your review.
    Thanks again! D.

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It might be worth checking out Porterfield brake pads. I did some research several years ago for my Mondial 3.2 and Porterfield seemed to be the best of conventional brake pads. Now they have ceremics like the ones in the post above that are probably better with regard to dust.

On another note, are you sure your brake pads aren't dragging on the disc? That seems like a lot of dust for 15 miles regardless if what pads you have.

Here is an article on low dust brake pads - never tried any of these so I can't vouch for them: Low Dust Brake Pads – Recommendations on Dustless Brake Pads

12. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I don't know it they are available for the 250 series but they were for my 1965 Maserati QP. Thea pads "greenstuff" is really low on the dust and offers a very good bite!

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If this happens when you make such a short trip, it may just be, that when you wash your wheels, a film of rust forms on the disc,[ I think you call them Rotors in the USA] and this may be making the dust. So be a little sparing with the water when you rinse them, and make sure they are bone dry when you take the car for a drive, as most of this should blow away.

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
  15. lukas240z

lukas240z Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2012
    LA ✈ NYC
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    #15 lukas240z, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    The nature of the way brakes work are such that this is pretty much impossible. Brakes work by friction and scrubbing off a bit of material on the rotor and pad (or drum and pad) in order to slow a vehicle. The pads are not the issue and the dust will never be eliminated completely. You might want to consider a treatment or coating of some kind for the wheels themselves that a) reduce (or eliminate if its even possible) the hot fine particulate from sticking to the surface of the wheel or b) allow the particulate or brake dust to be very easily washed off with a hose and little to no scrubbing.

Remember, the brake dust is super fine metal particulate that is hot which allows it to stick to the wheel easier. This is why they also tell you to not let brake dust sit on clearcoated wheels because the hot brake dust will pit and burn into the surface making it near impossible to clean out/off.

Best of luck :)

16. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    In the past, the pads were sacrificed in the braking operation and the rotors lasted for a long time.

However, since the use of asbestos was banned or severly constrained, pads have become harder and it has been necessary to make the rotors softer, so the braking operation now wears both components. This probably means that the dust has a higher metalic content and is prone to adhere firmly to the wheel surface.

As has been said, the best solution seems to be the use of a quality wheel wax combined with frequent washing with soap and water.

Most proprietory wheel cleaners contain phosphoric acid or caustic, which can damage alloy, and should be used only infrequently and rinsed off thoroughly.

17. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Here's one solution:
    Drive to a shop that powder coats wheels & wipe your finger along the inside of yor dirty, dusty wheel and ask the powder coater to match that color. Looks cool and works like a charm!

18. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Pretty thoughtful solution......

I think some of the young
    "import" guys do that..................

19. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Diamond....Solid Diamond pads.....but then the problem is "rotor dust".

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Just clean the damn wheels occasionally and be happy you have a 250 series Ferrari to treat right.

jeez....