Converting Boxer from Fuel Injection to Carbureted | FerrariChat

Converting Boxer from Fuel Injection to Carbureted

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jselevan, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Curious about what would be involved in converting a BBi to a BB. Aside from the obvious of obtaining manifolds and proper carburetors, removing injection system and obtaining proper fuel pumps, what other modifications would be required? Are cams, timing, valves different? Could one leave the injectors in place as plugs, or would inserting a threaded plug to seal the injector seat a better idea?

Simply an intellectual exercise, but one that would ultimately provide the sound and fun of a curbureted Boxer with the modernization that crept into the series over 10 years.

Thanks.

Jim S.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Can you elaborate more on the advantages of such an exercise.
    My advice would be to simply sell the bbi and buy a bb. The loss in value to the bbi would be prohibitive, not to mention, do you really want to be in such unchartered waters? The cost in $ and loss of driving time would surely make this a maddening experience.
    Now, if it's not too late......put the wrench down and step away from the tool box........

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ps- Jim, did your friend ever buy the yellow boxer? Can you pm me w/ details?
    Thanks

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jim
    The French importer, Charles Pozzi, converted three carburetted boxers to fuel injection for LeMans in June 1979.

Russ Turner ("snj5") has documented at some length the conversion of a 4v 328 to carbs, without (at least from a far) too much drama and a lot of delight at the end of the process. As the Boxer was never a car intended for US consumption, I'd be surprised if the cams went through much of a change over the years to deal with any emissions related stuff.

If the desire were to use individual throttle bodies, but retain a form of injection, I'd guess TWM or the Porsche types could work something up (I believe the triple choke Webers were the same as the 911 units). Unbounded by any form of reality, well, not much anyway, a TR (4v) engine in a boxer along with the above, would be, well, interesting...

Idle speculation or something in mind?
    Philip

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Mostly idle speculation. The thought was precipitated by my friend that did purchase the yellow 1974 365BB. The car was like new, with approximately 5,000 original Kilometers. Yellow with black interior. Tools, books, oriignal everything. There is something about an engine bay chocked full of Webers.

Thanks for the help on the intellectual exercise. Edward, I agree that the value proposition is not there. Not even close.

Jim S.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You could sell your BB512i and buy a BB512 and should have enough left over to have a major service done.

7. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I'd like to see someone put IF3C carbs on a TR. That would be a blast.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice! Is your friend in the area? Will he be bringing it to CC? Would be nice to see another fine BB next to yours! :)

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Its IDF3C.

10. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi Mitch,

The carbs listed in the sales brochure, in the Mel Nicholes boxer book and on my car are shown as 40 IF3C; no "D". The 40 IDF's listed in my Weber books are 2 barrel. There are also some 40 IDA3C's also listed which is very similar to the 40 IF3C but these are identified in the Weber book as Porsche carbs.

Regards,

Drew