How do you transmit your passion to your kids? | FerrariChat

How do you transmit your passion to your kids?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by matumorales, Feb 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    As a car-guy from a very young age, this question often arises inside my head... How do you transmit your passion to your kids?

What bugs me the most, is the fact that this passion wasn't "passed on" to me by anyone in particular. It's not like my dad was a car aficionado or my uncle had a sports car that changed my life forever. It's something that I caught from... the air, basically! Like a flu that never got away.

I have four small daughters now... and among my friends that are also infected by the same car-disease I've seen nice stories and bad stories regarding their car-loving habits. I've got a friend whose son inherited the passion of his father, and this sharing motivated a very close father-son relationship... on the other hand, I have another friend whose family is sick and tired of him for having car-projects and activities.

That's why I'm throwing this question to you, guys. What do you think is the best way to pass on your passion to the next generation?

2. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You can't. They either have it or they don't. My son drives a beat up Subaru wagon full of trash and his wife's Honda is even worse. One grandson is different. I send him 1/18 Ferrari die cast models and he is in heaven. Sleeps with them. The other grandson takes after his parents.

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    You don't - they will develop their own passions. Be there to support them in pursuing their passions, not yours.
    Jes

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The will choose their own passions.

5. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    you wont pass it on. They will either like it or they wont.

My father never once worked on his cars other than small stuff, when I got the chance I tore apart cars left and right.

I am way different than my dad in what I like.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    When I was in MA, there was a toddler running around the driveway.
    When the garage door opened, he looked at the three cars inside and went straight to the Ferrari.
    His mom picked him up and carried him away, afraid he might get fingerprints on it. (I didn't mind.)
    He was crying at being taken away.

But the school kids only noticed that it was "shiny".

So I'd say that classic PF coachwork resonates with our genes, but then society talks us out of it. ;)

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Daniel, I have THREE young-ish daughters and they all love my "red car" because I've never forced it on them. I work on it sparingly, but keep it in great shape. I periodically will take them for a Sunday ride around, but always use it as a reward/privilege versus a right.

I don't know that they'll ever "love" cars and driving, but that's okay. They will have their own passions and I at least hope that I pass along that such things should always be handled with care and discretion.

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    it sometimes skips a generation, encourage grandkids :)

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    My Dad didn't directly influence me but he did take the time to expose me to exotic cars, fast boats, and small airplanes.

In the late 1960's, my Dad had a dark blue metallic 1966 Jaguar E-type. As a little kid, I was completely captivated by that car. I was probably 8 or 9 years old and everything about that car I remember vividly. I remember the beautiful lines of the body, the smell of the black leather seats inside, the dash full of round simple gauges and toggle switches, the wire wheels, the squeaking disc brakes, etc. To this day, I think this is why I like dark metallic blue cars.

Also in the late 1960's / early 1970's, my Dad first had a Cessna 140a airplane and later a Cessna 182. He would take me up in the 140a which was only a two-seater. So it was special 1-on-1 time with my Dad while we were up in the air. He would let me steer the plane and slowly climb or descend. I was too short to reach the rudder pedals but the smile on my face as I controlled the yoke must have been from ear-to-ear. And now, 40 or 50 years later, I own a Cessna 182 myself.

So, the passion has to first be somewhere inside the kid, but a parent can definitely fan the flames of that passion by exposing the kid to the more fun things in life.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My Granddaughter has hung out with me in the garage since she was three. She has slid under cars on the creeper, stood by in the pit during oil changes, and ridden in all my cars. Boy did we get an ass chewing from Gramma after we returned from a Ferrari drive when she was four.
    She has pictures of the cars on her bedroom walls and show and tell is usually about Ferrari's and Jaguars. Now at eight she wants to know if she can learn how to drive in the 308.

11. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We named our second son Aston and his first word was 'Car'.

He can identify Ferraris by their Cavalino.

He is now 18 months old.

I think I got him!

12. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    You better teach her well.....both my daughters learned to drive stick, and taught a few boyfriends, too.

13. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Fast rides and matchbox cars! Worked on me!

14. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Now that's impressive! It sometimes takes days before the leading experts in this online ferrari community can identify a Ferrari, based on a picture of the whole car!!!
    :)

May 5 year old son had a one year break from his car passion, to be replaced completely by a football (soccer) passion which infected me.
    Now, though, the car passion seems to be back (still shared with the football).
    I never push him into anything, but of course my passions will influence him just like his influence me.

15. TrueBlue02Vert

TrueBlue02Vert Karting

Apr 21, 2010
    Oakville, ON
    How do I transmit my passion? Osmosis.

When my first child was born I wanted him to share my love of cars, but didn't want to push anything on him ... I wanted him to develop his own passions.

As it turned out, I didn't have to worry. Since I didn't want to influence him early on I didn't get him any cars. One day I caught him at around 6 months old pushing one of his blocks and making engine noises. I said to my wife, "we need to get him something with wheels".

Since then (he's now 5) it's been nothing but cars.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    A typical line from my kids, "dad, your car is too loud".

17. My365

My365 Karting

May 4, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    I have my daughter try to name all my 1:18 scale Ferraris. When she gets one right I give her a dollar. When she gets one wrong I smack her with a yardstick. She has yet to get them all right...but she's getting there.

18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Maybe you should try pepper spray instead of yardstick.

19. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    When my oldest was 1 (he's 9 1/2 now) he was having trouble sleeping while we were on vacation, so I would take him out at 6am every morning in his stroller and teLl him the make and model of every car we would walk by. Before he was 2 he could name every car we drove past himself and would be to go for rides in my convertible. Now, he has outgrown his racecar bed but still has a room decorated with a checkereed flag and filled with car models. He won "Best Racecar Design" in the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby for the last 3 years running with a Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Gallardo, and Bugatti Veyron as entries.

My younger son (he's 3) isn't quite as talented, but is obsessed with Mini Coopers and Ferraris, and shouts every time he sees either. I started takibg him to Cars and Coffee every weekend when he was 1 and now he begs to go, even if it is snowing. He spent the last week watching videos of the Intercity Lines truck ("Joe's truck") that will deliver our first Ferrari next week and is absolutely giddy waiting. Both boys plan to take the day off from school if the truck shows up on a weekday.

My daughter seems to have missed the car chromosome, but still enjoys coming to Cars and Coffee, mostly for the pancakes.

Fortunately my wife got the car bug from her dad, and even demanded that we get a gated 6-speed F-car. Her interest in cars and the 6-speed turbo convertible that she had when we met were two of the many reasons I married her.

20. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you're wife's on board you're home. Not a wife that puts up with cars or condones them, but encourages them. I've shown my wife a few photos of cars that I thought were 'interesting' and now they are in the garage. There are also some cars I've adored, and she has just said go ahead, not her cup of tea, but when we drove them, she appreciated what I saw.

I can't ask for more.

Happy wife, happy life!

21. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    You probably answered your own question -- they'll develop interests of their own.

My dad was a car guy, and he got me started dissecting old Briggs lawnmower engines at an early age.
    But he was a Mopar fan, and -- since he was a WWII Navy man -- probably would be dismayed at my interest in Italian and Japanese cars. ;)
    (Of course, he died before the '70s fuel shortage, so gas mileage was never something he considered.)

22. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #22 WILLIAM H, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    The 1st movie my son ever saw was Pixar CARS

I got him car toys, took pictures of him getting his 1st Hot Wheels, and taught him the different car makes, working on models now

He knows about gas engines and can name most sports cars. I take him to car shows, races, and he's ridden in my Z06, GT, Slutmobie, and he sat in the F40

He has an electric ride on Ferrari GTO, Lightning McQueen, Batmobile, & Mach 5

I created a little Gear Head :)

Next step is an electric go kart then a real gas racing kart next year

Thinking maybe a full race Miata or Porsche 914 when he's 12 or 13

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Kids like spending time with their Fathers. I think quality time around the idea of cars will create an appreciation as something that can bring people together even if they never become gear heads. For me it was in the genes. I'm a bit crazier than my Dad, or maybe we might both be completely crazy but in different ways. At a very early age he had me help him bleed the brakes on an old convertible he had. That was good stuff for a young boy.

I've been fortunate, at 41 I just moved back to the town my Dad lives in. We spend a lot of time together in his garage under his or my cars. And a lot of time drinking beer talking about cars.

Since wifes were brought up, my wife simply likes the cars she likes but can be subject to suggestion. I was looking at 911s before I purchased my Ferrari. Now every time I talk about another car she asks when we're getting a 911. We just needed a AWD vehicle and I put her in a Wrangler. At first she didn't know what to think. Now she loves it but says the radio is lacking, no MP3 input as it's a 2000.

It may be like the opera, those who love it love it, those who don't can learn to appreciate it. Line from Pretty Woman of course.

24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree with everyone saying it happens naturally or not at all. I think its terrible when a parent pushes an interest on a kid.

Im terrified my kid(s) will grow up hating art and loving sports, but if they do they do...

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I buy Ferraris so my kids won't have too much inheritance when I die. :cool:

George Clooney (The Descendants-movie):
    Leave your kids enough so they can do SOMETHING but don't leave them so much that they don't have to do ANYTHING.