TR suspension set-up..Anything that isn't the same cost as a lunar landing? | FerrariChat

TR suspension set-up..Anything that isn't the same cost as a lunar landing?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by CMT, Feb 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CMT

CMT Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2006
    East Mesa, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony T.
    I am wanting to replace/update my suspension on the TR. The only thing I have found is the Norwood kit that costs the same as putting a man on the moon. Any other options?

I would like to lower the ride height in the process so springs and shocks will be needed.

TIA,

TT

2. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I am doing the same thing right now. Saw the prices myself and almost shat..... We need 6 total, 4 rear, two front.

I am making some custom shock mock ups to get the perfect ride height. Once I get the numbers I can order some customs shocks and springs that blow Koni away at 1/3rd the cost. I am also making the custom top mounts to accept these new shocks.

They will be great when done. Stand by and I'll post when I set the height and give part#'s for the shocks.

They will be DIRECT BOLT IN......

3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I'd like to look at mine some day also. It's certainly the oldest feeleing aspect of the car. Pushed hard into corners it drops the nose badly and can really dip on one side at the front when you don't neeed it to. Obviously due to soggy bounce and rebound of the shocks.

Keep us informed of what you find.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just installed Penskes on the race car, they are around $750 @

I plan on doing the bushings too, where to find the right ones is the question

5. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    my first testarossa had a lower than normal ride height. lemme tell you, it was annoying. the front spoiler scraped everything. admittedly, the factory height at the front looks a bit high under the spoiler, and not particularly pretty, but it is so practical that i decided not to lower it for this car.

6. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    About bushings: I got all mine from T.Rutlands. There are four different ones, some of which look the same, so have them mark the part number on the plastic bag. I even ordered one bushing from Ferrari to make sure what they shipped was the right stuff (it was). The work was easy but you need a small bench top press to get things apart. The bushings have a metal outer sleeve so you can't burn the rubber out. I machined a bunch of metal collars to press everything apart. The parts came to about 750 and new rear shocks were 640 (for four) and motor mounts were 600. I did this in 2004 so prices may have changed alot. By the way, at the time the front shocks were un-available so my coming winter project is to get them rebuilt, and it was cheaper to replace the rears than rebuild by Koni. YMMV.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86 tr
    major at 7 years/20k miles. 3yrs Hah!

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I was testing the new Penske shocks at Watkins Glen during the National Meet, the car feels much more planted & secure on the road, I have more confidence & they are probably worth 3 seconds of more

My race car used to rock side to side in corners but thats all gone w the new shocks

I'm really happy w them

My mechanic says the next step should be custom adjustable control arms, maybe next year

BTW I was running WG at 2:10 w no 4th gear. I'd probably be close to 2:00 if I had 4th gear

8. RED 4RE

RED 4RE Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    CANADA
    I sent my existing Koni's directly to Koni NA and had them revalved + shortened with new pistons + new shorter/stiffer springs added. Koni added adjustable threads to change ride height. They did a great job all for 350 per dampener (x 6) including new springs. they also repainted my shocks and added new stickers.

www.koni-na.com

Doc.

9. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Neat idea. Never would of thought to do that. Thanks for sharing that!

10. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Do you have a link for the Penskes you are using BH?
    Thanks, Craig

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'll ask my crew chief for the info

12. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi William, just following up on any info you might have on the Penske Shocks you are using.

Thanks in advance William

Steve

13. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Funny, I was just checking shock prices today...rears were $1500 each x 4 from Ricambi.

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's why the option that Doc described in post #8 makes total sense IMO. He went further with a different spring and piston too, but if the cost for "rebuild + adding the threaded, adjustable lower spring perch" is the same, or less, than a new (non-height adjustable) replacement, I'd go that way too -- JMO.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #15 WILLIAM H, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe they are 3 way adjustable Penskes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I had Koni rebuild the 4 rears.....$520.......and then installed Energy poly bushings through-out....Which I machined to fit the Testarossa.

Stiffy Me