Lotus Gone | FerrariChat

Lotus Gone

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by tr0768, Feb 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Candy sold her Lotus Esprit turbo on fleabay. Its going to Allentown Pa. Transporters will pick it up Monday. Now i have an open slot in my building for another toy. Now we need to think about another Fcar, would really entertain a 330 or 250. Prefer one that needs restoration. Any thoughts?

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i cabriolet
    1994 348 spyder

2. gpmotorsllc

gpmotorsllc Karting

Jun 27, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Jon F Beutler Jr.
    I think 330s are under-appreciated for sure. A good choice.

3. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    BB512 or similar

4. fabiolrs

fabiolrs Guest

Dec 17, 2007
    John
    Full Name:
    NY

agreed

5. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    250 are so beautiful ,and the sound is orgasmic

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sometimes you just have to make that tough decision. Get both!:D

7. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    330 gtc imo.

or a porsche?

8. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I had a GTC; great, well-balanced all around civilized Ferrari for that era. Almost too civilized until you really got on it.

A lot depends on your budget. I just looked at Hemmings and couldn't believe what they were asking.

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    So back in the very early 60's I was just a kid starting out in the automotive trade as a very green mechanic. The shop I worked at only did European Import cars. This shop in Seattle did have the reputation to fix what the others could not.

We worked on Norton Clapp's Ferrari I believe to have been a 330 I'm guessing a 1960-62. I drove it from his office in the Norton building in Seattle to the shop in north Seattle. I remember working on the 3 dual choke Webbers which seem to have been the main issue with the runability. As I remember we had to order new jets which took sometime to arrive. We also did the oil changes and other service as needed. It was a beige exterior with tan interior, wonder where it is today?

One of our other customers had a early 60's 250 I believe, it was painted a horrible candy apple gold, we did some service on that one as well. At the time it was owned by a very young man with an incredibley beautiful girlfriend. Don't remember much about the car but sure do remember her.

just sayin'

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i cabriolet
    1994 348 spyder

10. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    Don't chose one over the other... Just get both :)

11. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    But one of the reasons to sell the Lotus was to find more room in my all ready overcrowded building and car collection. The problem with having a large car barn is the weakness to buy and fill it up I'm at that point now.

As my age advances its time to thin the heard, just sold my 1905 Cadillac off to Austrailia, sold off 5 vintage race cars, and now the Lotus. It's really nice to be able to walk through my barn and actually see the floor and the cars that are still there. I really do not need anymore cars but would entertain a project Ferrari to finish out my restoration activities.

I like the thought of restoring a 1960's Ferrari as thats the era where I learned the trade. I find the design and look of those years with single headlights uncluttered and classic looks. The interiors were supple but very clean. The body lines were trim and neat. I guess I just want to go home again.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i cabriolet
    1994 348 spyder

12. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Dang Howard! Wish I would have known you were selling that Lotus! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Pre-1988 Giugiaro bodied models! My wife and I bought a 1978 Esprit S1 in 1982. Before that, at one point I almost bought a brand new 1978 "John Player Special" S2 from Doug's Lynnwood Dodge/Lotus in 1979 when I was just a punk kid living at home with Mom & Dad!

Back in 1995, a friend of mine bought a red/tan 1987 Turbo Esprit (just like yours), but he passed away about 2 weeks before the truck delivered it.

See you at an E@RTC one of these days! If the rain would ever stop!!!

Mike

13. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Howard - If you do not want to pay what it costs now for a 250 or 330 think about a 62 -67 E-Type Jaguar. You can find them in any condition (depending on how much work you want to do) and all parts are easily available and cheap - compared to Ferrari parts. I may have owned that candy apple gold 250, although I wouldn't describe mine as candy apple. It was a factory color, kind of a tannish gold metalic with beige interior.

14. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    #14 tr0768, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    Back in the day when I worked at BMCD my 1st job was to drive new Jaguars from the dock to the warehouse under Spokane street. I also performed alignments on the new arrivals.

Bill the service manager at BMCD came to me one day and handed me a kit of parts and a sheet of directions. It seems an oversight on the early XKE's was the difficulty of replacing the inboard brake pads, you had to drop the entire rear suspension assembly.

This kit included 2 aluminum plates some self tapping screws, plus a sabre saw and a electric drill. The instructions told me to remove both seats, then remove the rear parcel shelf carpet. Using the templet cut 2 holes just above the inboard calipers to easily access the rear brake pads. After the holes were cut and the screw holes drilled, attatch the covers and screws and replace the removed carpets and seats. This took about 2 hours and as a very green kid I was scared to death of screwing up.

Just before I tackeled the 1st one Bill said," look kid those cars cost $5000.00 if you scew it up you will be on payroll decuction for the rest of your life". My pay at that time was the princlely sum of $1.65 per hour.

15. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    A 330 and or 250 are such big leaps from an Esprit Turbo. Just wondering why the choice?

16. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Just like the classic simplistic lines of the era. other than that no particular reason.

Howard