2707 GT,the Nembo spyder sold to Lebanon | FerrariChat

2707 GT,the Nembo spyder sold to Lebanon

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Jun 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was just researching some Tom Meade cars and
    saw a reference to a car sold by him to Lebanon
    and thought there has been a few battles there since then
    and I was wondering if the car has re-emerged?
    Not that I am in a position to drive--I just love tracking barn finds.

2. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
  3. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    I am happy to add that the car might be for sale, please contact me if interested.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Most interesting!

Thank you for that information...Tom Meade when I interviewed him in 1996 had mentioned this car as being the third Nembo spyder, having a Chiti shark nose and being sent unfinished to Lebanon in period which is what I stated in my two part Ferrari Market Letter article many years ago...so now we know that he may have confused it with another chassis number or was confused which can happen as I often see during interviews.

Again many thanks!

MS

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'd like to know if there is a basic consensus on the Drogo cars regarding their importance/reputational legitimacy/acceptability in vintage ferrari circles. Could (has?) a Drogo car be entered in the important concours events, etc? Some of them were quite pretty. ..

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Francis you are right this warrants further research to make sure it is entirely distinct from 3405gt so in fact the jury is still out...look forward to more information from the seller.
    Obviously beyond that web text linked further up it would be nice to see the chassis plate and slo the stampings on the chassis, any documentation etc...

best regards,

Marc

8. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Please note, Tom Meade has aked me to make some clarity.
    2707 was a real nembo, built on a 250GT chassis.
    The car was sent to Lebanon.
    Someone was trying to sell a face 2707 before, Tom has the details of the real one.

Thank you
    GS

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #9 El Wayne, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    Marc, to me, the historic images on the site could just as well show 3405GT. There is, however, a difference in mirrors that might indicate that we are dealing with two different cars. In some images, there is a chrome mirror on the front fender; while in others there is a black mirror placed awkwardly on the driver's door.

In the images below, the two different overall shapes of the nose seem to also correspond with the different mirrors. Of course, the nose, mirror, and tail could have all been modified at some point or another.

By the way, the very first image below (chrome mirror) was identified by Marcel Massini as 3405GT with De Siebenthal at the Nürburgring Oldtimer GP in August, 1979.

Chrome fender-mounted mirror (or lack of black mirror):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Black door-mounted mirror:

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I met with Tom several times from 2005-2006,and we spent most of this time discussing the cars that he had built over the years, as well as going over his old notes and photographs. He told me that the incomplete car sent to Lebanon was based on a 250 GT SWB berlinetta, but he gave me chassis number 1707GT. I wrote it down. On the occasion of our next meeting, I pointed out that 1707GT was a PF Coupe. Tom responded that he could have been mistaken because, at the time, he didn't really pay much attention to chassis numbers. He was sure, though, that it was a SWB Berlinetta.

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #11 GIOTTO, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    If Tom responded that he could have mistaken the cars as he did not pay much attention to VINs at that time -which was very common in those days!- why is he insisting on other VINs today....

13. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    1717GT I presume?

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I am wondering the same. I now spend four days a week practically in Tom's backyard. I think it might be time to give him a call and offer to take him to lunch.

Funny how all of these Drogo and Nembo s/ns can be so easily transposed into one another, isn't it? 3405GT and 3445GT. 1777GT, 1717GT, and now 1707GT.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello El Wayne and all,

I had not visited this thread for some time, sorry for the delayed answer. El wayne great work with those mirrors yes it could well be two bodies.

Tom said the third Nembo spyder sent to Lebanon was in fact 2707 to me back in 1996 and as he confirms here via Mr Serrazzi. I wish photos existed of it in period....or that anybody living in Lebanon then were available to comment.

Look forward to any other clues identifying the Drogo bodied car or cars:)

I was reading Marcel's book making a difference the other day and am seriously lusting about another Drogo car, long destroyed alas, 2053GT:)

best regards,

Marc

16. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I have very hard time believing that Drogo would have created two such identical bodies. Too many "random" details are the same, so I am quite sure one car was modified over a period of time. It is not exactly a masterpiece design, which IMO makes it even more unlikely that a copy would have been built on another chassis.

Very difficult to be sure of serial numbers on such special cars, or if a particular car used several sets of papers over the years.

17. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    More photos were added of that #2707GT (?) in the link:
    Classic Cars Talks: Ferrari #2707GT Drogo

My questions still are: If this is #2707GT, where is #3405GT today ? And can somebody prove if #2707GT is really an original Drogo body, and not a copy ? We all know that there are several 250GT 2+2 rebodied in the last years by Allegretti , and wrongly called "Drogo", so...

18. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dears,
    I note that despite tom's inputs over the years there is still discussion about 2707 being a Drogo. The car is a Nembo, and like the Thomassima 3 that is already there you will be able to see it soon in the Ferrari Museum in Maranello with its Twin Noses and the other cars that are gradually arriving. I hope this will help you. If needed I will give also Ferrari a copy of the original documents from Tom of the 2707.
    Regards

19. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dears,
    please note that Ferrari 2707 is (as mentioned many times by Tom Meade as well) a Nembo. The car is now under restoration in Italy and Ferrari has reviewed that chassis stamps and the "targhetta". Please also note that I have been contacted by Drogo experts that believe that the 2707GT is indeed not a correct number for a Drogo and that the history of that car cannot be traced back from the beginning (while I am in possession of original documents also shown to Ferrari that trace the Nembo car back to the beginning). Luckily Tom kept all documents and targhetta

If anyone is interested in further details I can be contacted at [email protected]

Also this car will find its way to the Ferrari museum in Modena

Thank you
    Gianni Serazzi

20. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dear all,
    a quick update on the 2707
    -The Drogo 2707 appears to have been sold from Bertolero to Carmelo Baieli as a legimate car
    -Over the years several perspective buyers called me to get information on the Nembo 2707 and I informed them about the history of the car, the original car that I have and the original documents. Several of them thanked me for the information and passed on the car. Mr.Baieli advisor (Cristiano Borrelli) contacted me only after their purchase unfortunately, otherwise I would have explained to them the truth about the Nembo 2707. He has always been very professional with me
    -Ferrari Classiche was given my 2707 and copies of all documents and targhetta. They CONFIRMED IT IS THE ORIGINAL. The chassis has now been stamped as Classiche. I have been told that they did a lot of other metallurgy and other checks as they knew that there was a second Drogo 2707 in circulation and wanted to be sure 100% before expressing themselves
    -Once more, the word of Tom Meade has been confirmed. Over the years every time that he told us something, that always turned out to be true (look at the post above of 23 Feb 2013 that Tom had instructed me to write)

Glad that the truth has been exposed 100%

Regards
    Gianni Serazzi

PS
    I am uploading just the classiche stamp as it is safer not to have the original chassis number circulating. I can also send to anyone interested the Classiche invoice. My email is always the same as my previous post where many of you have contacted me. Thank you Image Unavailable, Please Login