Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Or it could be wind tunnel differences. They say that no two wind tunnels ever produce the same results...

2. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
    I am not aware of any private wind tunnel test which reflects real conditions, like moving road/floor and rotating wheels, correct position of active suspension etc.

What we do know is that the 2002 Enzo was 3.5 s faster at Nordschleife than the 2003 Carrera GT in a direct comparison by Marc Basseng, both OEM and with 45 kg of fuel.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #653 Napolis, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On a rolling road wind tunnel our Enzo also had a big problem with too much inlet and not enough exit which caused air to actually back up out of some inlets and cause huge drag and disruption to the air flow across the whole car. In addition to wind tunnels high speed testing really tells you a lot about downforce and drag and it's important to do both.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PAXAH

PAXAH Karting

Feb 23, 2013
    Hi, this is my first post here :)

I'm very excited for the 3 super sportscars to come out, i want to see what Ferrari is going to bring to the table.
    Anyway, very interesting new info about the 918 here ;) :

Porsche 918 Spyder driven around Yas Marina circuit | GulfNews.com

Weight now is less than 1600 kg.
    Sub 3 seconds from 0-62 mph.
    850HP combined.
    "Porsche’s marking down the official start of 918 Spyder production as September 18. Yes, that is 9/18. “I’m surprised Porsche didn’t go for 918 horsepower,” I quip to Hoffsuemmer.
    “I’m sure that’s just an easy twist of a knob somewhere,” he replies.
    Easy. The Porsche 918 Spyder’s maxim."

5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Jim is that picture of your car at Nardo?

6. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
  7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    CERAM

8. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My prediction is Porsche will have a tough time selling the 918 at 800k euro+. The true hybrid elec only mode is a massive turn off couple with the additional weight.

New Enzo will all be taken up.

Mclaren I dont know.

How big is the market for $1mn+ supercars? These three models combine would mean over 2000 new units on the market.

9. FXEFFECTS

FXEFFECTS Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    Perhaps the Pagani Huarya should be included in these comparisons?

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Same weight but with 200 BHP less? I think not...

11. mpowered

mpowered Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    Full Name:
    You Know Me
    it's heavier
    it's not a hybrid
    it's not really in the same league performance wise

12. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

When the Zonda C12 debuted in 1999 it had only 390 bhp, by the end of production 750+ bhp.

The Huarya is at the start of it's production life-cycle, and im sure AMG will fine some more BHP as the model evolves. It should not be so hard with it being a twin-turbo.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You should read Peloton's joke about the difference between "potentially" and "realistically". :D

14. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Hahaha... I read it already ;)

But why do you think Pagani won't add power to Huarya? Surely its a given going by their previous Zonda developments.

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Some might say that they've already added power to it for the Top Gear lap. ;)

>8^)
    ER

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Most probably they will but they will reach the level of the other two hypercars some 10 years later, as was the case with the Zonda vs the Enzo. By then, the new breed of hypercars will be out. ;)

17. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

All will be known in time ;)

But you could easily say the similar things about the Enzo Vs Mclaren F1.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Enzo was launchbed once, 10 years later than the F1, and was never updated. Different thing mate. ;)

19. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Sure, it might be a different thing, but i was just pointing out that when the Enzo was launched it was the new breed, but it was no quicker in a straight line, or around tracks then the 10 year old F1. Performance against rivals is not everything though, as the demand for Enzo's showed.
    Although, im still thinking we will see Huayra's in the near future with power to weight ratio's to match or better the F70 (and P1).

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You could not be more wrong on this one:

"Zero to 60 mph: 3.3 seconds.
    Quarter-mile run: 11.1 sec. at 133.0 mph.

Unbelievable.

The Enzo has just recorded the best Road & Track acceleration run ever for a road car. Its 0-60-mph run equals the fastest time logged just a month ago by the all-American Saleen S7. And its quarter-mile time and speed pulverize the mighty McLaren F1's numbers of 11.6 sec. traveling at a mere 125 mph past the quarter-mile mark. Wow!

When the time comes to stop — by the end of the acceleration run the Enzo is racing down the track at about 150 mph — the ample 15.0-in. vented carbon-ceramic discs slow the car with authority. There is never any hint of fade. The brake pedal travel is confidently short and actuation effort is firm. Panic stops from 60 and 80 mph show the Enzo needing only an excellent 109 and 188 ft., respectively, to come to a complete halt. Of note, the 188 ft. is another record, shared with the 360 Modena.

In the handling tests, the new Ferrari supercar status is once again validated by Road & Track's best-ever run of 73.0 mph through the slalom. The steering is quick and smooth, as though responding telepathically. The Enzo reacts to driver input instantly with mild understeer. Through the cones, it likes to be pushed a bit, but never loses composure. The rear stays firmly planted on the asphalt. With just a light dip of the throttle, the car can be lured to step out a bit and help turn in. And around our 200-ft.-diameter skidpad, little effort is needed to generate an amazing 1.01g of lateral acceleration. Remember, the Enzo is a road car, not a race car!"

page 4 - 2003 Ferrari Enzo - Road & Track

Also, round a track the Enzo would murder an F1.

Elementary though... 10 years seperate the two.

That said, I bet that the F150 will also kill the P1. ;)

21. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    The McLaren F1 was never great on a track because of it's body roll caused by the soft suspension it used. When it was launched, it couldn't even beat the 1987 Ferrari F40 on a track, nevermind comparing it to an Enzo.
    The F1 became so famous because it had 3 seats ( a great thing) and because of it's top speed.
    BTW the car that set the 240 mph record wasn't stock. It had the rev limiter removed. The stock car only does around 230 mph at best.
    Some owners mounted rear wings on their F1's. That improved their handling because it added downforce, but it also meant a lower top speed, around 220 mph.

22. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
  23. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
  24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The real story is that those pictures are from 2005 when these cars was transported from a private Norwegian collector living in France to a dealer in Oslo, Norway.

The black coupe is an Aston Martin Virage Vantage.

>8^)
    ER

25. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Seems like different tests have resulted in different numbers. Auto Car UK's F1's test resulted in figures i have yet to see an Enzo match in a test, although there is very little in it.

0-30 mph (48 km/h): 1.8 s
    0–60 mph (97 km/h): 3.2 s
    0–100 mph (160 km/h): 6.3 s[
    0–124.28 mph (200.01 km/h): 9.4 s
    0–150 mph (240 km/h): 12.8 s
    0–200 mph (320 km/h): 28 s

0–400 m (0.25 mi): 11.1 s at 138 mph (222 km/h)
    0–1,000 m (0.62 mi): 19.6 s at 177 mph (285 km/h)

The only time i have seen a track test with an F1 and Enzo done on the same day by the same test team the F1 slimly came out on top.

This link is a edited summery of the article that appeared in the magazine;

McLaren F1 | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | evo