Dismantled Barns...for wood floors | FerrariChat

Dismantled Barns...for wood floors

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by msdesignltd, Feb 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 msdesignltd, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Is the wood for the floor of the garage? If so, that's a major fire hazard and will not meet the building code.

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes..Please elaborate..
    I was planning on sealing it as well..

heat from autos may ignite????

I guess , That plan just went up in Smoke!

4. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    If a flammable liquid like gasoline drips onto the floor from the car, then ignites, the wood floor would act as a fuel source and rapidly spread the fire. Static electricity is known to ignite gasoline, not just heat.

5. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OH Well

Can that idea...

Back to square 1

6. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    That looks amazing! Well done. Go with cobble stone or brick.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Feb 27, 2013
    If you still want wooden shop style flooring consider end grain blocks. This was pretty common with large industrial facilities back in the 20s and 30s.

End Grain blocks by Kaswell - f l o o r c r u n c h *
    Industrial End Grain Wood Block Flooring - Jennison Wright Co.
    Wood Block Flooring
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Not sure how that would get a person by current building/fire code either....? Btw is this a garage? If so it's supposed to have fire rated gypsum on any shared walls with the living space too

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The garage is detached
    Sits about 40 ft. From house

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I do Hardwood flooring as my business but as was mentioned you can't use it in a garage. Not only because of the fire but any water would cause the wood to expand and warp.

Why not look into concrete polishing and staining? It is amazing what can be done with concrete. Check out my friends site: Decocrete. He has a partner in the New York area also...

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Well darn... there goes my idea for wood block flooring in the shop section of my garage.

I toured ATK's solid rocket booster manufacturing facility in Utah a couple of years ago and saw this type of flooring there; wanted it ever since.

Thanks for the heads up.

12. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    Look up the woods company they have some great reclaimed distressed flooring unfinished or finished with the monocoat oil

Mountain lumber is another source but I prefer the woods company as a vendor.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 Great Idea.

How would you have kept that wood surface clean in a garage anyway?

Smooth is good rough is a big PITA.

Or do Ferrari's not leak fluids ... ;)

14. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #14 msdesignltd, Feb 28, 2013
    I am on High ground as far as flood or water intrusion is concerned, not worried about wet wood, although H Sandy might have gotten in..if it hit the east end.

There is a new wood sealer called waterborne..it is an invisible matt almost polyurethane type wood sealer...The top could just be washed of anything..I want the atmosphere to be that of a living room...couch chairs TV..so the warmth that that floor wood have added would really have been nice..

Waterborne Finishes and Sealers

Not sold on polished concrete , but it may be the way..possibly with Rugs..concrete needs sound damping..
    Gotta regroup my thoughts.

Any Other Suggestions!!!

15. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    The problem with using sealers on wood is that it must cover and seal every single crevice, groove and joint. If not it will warp. Humidity (or lack of it) will cause it to shrink or expand. Remember wood is a living thing. It moves with temperature and humidity. It really is not good for a garage no matter what kind of sealer you put on it. I use the highest quality water based finishes on the market and just a bit of water between the joints and it's over...it will buckle.

There is so much you can do with concrete. Not just polishing but staining and acid washing. It is really amazing to see the results and it looks like you have a great surface to start with. The only limit is your imagination. You could put a Ferrari crest into the floor...

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO...New wood flooring like 1/4 sawn oak , I agree..its dense and will warp in a sec..
    I chose 50 + year old Cedar because of its pourosity..It is open grain and flat as can be ..
    Look at the first pic..It aint warping no where, it is as light as a feather compared to new flooring..
    Sealing it would only stop stains...again I do not expect any water and would have applied it with those big tubes of liquid Nails beneath..Butt to square butt, like barn board.That stuff is superior adhesive..
    BUT... I am off that idea now..If I ever have to sell the house thats a no pass inspection ticket!

18. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would love to go with cobble stone, or brick...
    Need to find cut veneers about 1/2 deep...

Anyone??

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Cool stuff!

20. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Michael,

Try Mark Saladino at East End Outdoor Supply in East Quogue. He sells all kind of paving stones, blue stone etc... He is currently working with me on redoing my back yard and swimming pool in Hampton Bays.

I have known him for 20 years.

And he is a car guy.

His number is (631) 653-9576 - office
    Cell (631) 255-0378

Fred

21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm just about to get my entire first floor repaired and refinished. Hot water heater leaked ... :(.

But that's a relatively smooth wood compared with barn wood.

But I think the fire thing is probably code so you're screwed but ... even so I wouldn't use a water based sealer. They just don't hold up as well. With any of these finishes when you put 3000 lbs on four small contact patches that wood is going to flex eventually unless it an unbelievably hard and strong species like rosewood or something. When that happens eventually that sealer will crack and then the trouble starts.

Don't laugh too hard but vinyl floor, the really heavy duty thick stuff that they bend with a heat torch, in a wood finish? Yeah it wouldn't be real but they even had some of this stuff in Whole Foods that looked pretty good. Certainly warmer than slightly textured and colored concrete.

OK you can barf now ... LOL

22. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Our business is btnsalvage.com and based in Baltimore. We mill reclaimed wood and take down barns. Business started out to recycle construction and demolition debris that typically goes to land fill. Working on solutions for wood products coming from condemned homes, brick recycling and asphalt. It is an interesting business. You can contact at me dennis (at) btnsalvage.com
    Thanks

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The acid staining photos are amazing ( Acid Staining - Acid Staining Gallery ). I used Racedeck in my garage, but would have looked into acid staining if I knew about it. I wonder how durable the acid staining finish would be in a garage though.

24. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    At any given time....a 3000 lb. car only exerts 750 lbs . per tire..
    I dont think thats an issue..The look was antique anyway, cracks are good...
    But I am over That..
    Funny thing is, I did look at Linoleum ,....tiles are incredible today..the patterns and product has come a long way... Problem would be if there is moisture...which 99% of the time in my app. there is not..You have a layer of saran wrap holding it in..so Mold is an issue..

Need something that Breathes...