3500GT Barnfind | Page 30 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    I just spoke to the shop that has my transmission. They have been unable to locate the 1/2 synchro slider. They ordered two from MIE and they were both damaged. Another member here told me that the slider on my box is interchangeable with the 5/R slider on the S5/17 transmission. Does anybody have a source for the part that I need? Any help would be appreciated.

2. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Frank, Olivier, and Larry, thank you for your help. Larry has the exact part that I needed. Larry, you saved the day....thanks again.

3. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    My transmission is back in the car. I have a box of parts that epifani replaced, after the last guy rebuilt it. Those parts included all new bearings, a new slider, and a couple of detent springs. The price was very reasonable and I am confident in the quality of their work. They were rebuilding a Ferrari engine for a vintage race car that looked like an original testarossa...they told me it was a different model and it was worth 6,000,000. They were also doing a pebble beach restoration on a 1953 Ferrari. I do not think my transmission was too much of a challenge.
    Can anybody tell me how much 90wt gear oil to put in the transmission? I have already put in a gallon and it does not appear full. The manual calls for 1.5 kilograms or 3.3 lbs......not much help.

4. GTD

GTD Rookie

Jul 15, 2007
    Mark
    A gallon (128 fluid oz.) of Gear Oil weighs between 7 and 7.5 pounds (USA / avoirdupois dry weight).
    This converts one (dry weight) ounce to equaling .875 to .9375 fluid ounces.

Therefore your spec of 3.3 pounds = ~ 60 fluid oz. = about a half gallon

If you've already added a gallon of gear oil and it seems low ... something is amiss !

5. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I am pretty sure that a gallon is to much.
    I just fill it slowly untill it overflows from the side fill hole.
    I am looking forward to hearing your experiance in driving your 3500.
    Ciao,
    FGM

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Another way to look at it would be to weight a quart of the gear oil.
    Assuming a gallon weighs lets say 7 pounds then a quart would weigh 1.75 lbs.
    The manual calls for 3.3 lbs divided by 1.75 would equal 1.8 quarts. Which seems to me to be about right.
    :)
    FGM
    PS
    Did they mate the trans to your bellhousing?

7. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Frank, you are absolutely right. I put it in the wrong hole. I was filling the transmission from the top (vent) hole instead of the correct fill hole. I knew something was wrong because I kept the fluid that I drained out of it the last time and it was less than two quarts. I was seriously sleep deprived yesterday....not the best time to work on the car....or I am just a dumb ass....probably a mixture of both. Thanks for the help.

I am looking forward to driving the car finally. I have a few things left to do while the car is still up on jackstands. I never removed the bellhousing, so I mated the transmission to it. They installed the gasket and told me that I did not need sealant between the gearbox and bellhousing.

8. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #733 mfletch, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    GTD, thank you very much for the post. I appreciate you taking the time. I was unfamiliar with the word "avoirdupois". I had to look it up, so I learned something new....thank you. The problem was the knucklehead behind the wrench.

9. ljdamore

ljdamore Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Wilton, NH
    Try Jacques at Maserati source. He is closed until the 29th however. I bought a synchro set from him recently.

Lou D'Amore

10. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Lou, Larry had the part that I needed. My transmission is done and back in the car. Jacques has been the source of several parts for my car. Thanks for the info.

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #736 mfletch, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have not posted here for a while on the status of my car. I had quite an adventure trying to get my transmission fixed. Two very competant shops were unable to get it working correctly. With Franks assistance, ZF in Germany was able to get my transmission working properly.
    I was hoping to have my car 100% completed today. My car had other ideas. I snapped the oil line that goes from the oil pressure guage to the block, while routing a small fresh air hose under the oil line (instead of over it, as I previously had it). That is what I get for being too anal. I am glad that it broke now, instead of while the car was running. It was probably the only hose or rubber part on the car that I have not replaced.
    The tow truck pictures are from last year when my car spent a few months at Epifani Restorations, while we resolved my transmission problem. It was in good company. My car was the cheapest car there by several hundred thousand dollars. On one side of my car was a 1959 Ferrari, on the other side was a 60s Ferrari race car that was driven by Shelby. They are currently restoring the Bertone 3500. If you are ever in the Bay area, the guys there are very friendly and they usually have a dozen or more incredible cars that they are preparing for Pebble Beach.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    I am trying to locate the brown hose that the oil line going from the pressure gauge to the block is made out of. Mie was out of stock...they told me to reuse both fittings on the ends of my line. I will be calling newco tomorrow...their online catalog shows they carry it. They indicate that the old fittings can not be reused...they want you to purchase their new fittings. Mie wanted $288 for just the hose. Newco did not list prices.

13. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    I read through some of my posts and saw that prior to sending my car to Epifanis, I had a serious fuel starvation issue. A friend came over and we spent a Saturday trying to resolve the fuel issue. We had the carbs off the car four times before we discovered it was the float settings. The factory recommended settings did not work on my car. Once we raised the float levels, the car ran great. In spite of the transmission problems, I put a couple miles on the car driving it around my neighborhood. It drove fantastic...great acceleration, amazing sound, and surprisingly smooth ride.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Fantastic!
    We appear to be closing in on the finishing line together.

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    T Rutlands (770) 493-8852) carries the brown oil hose. It is priced by the inch !! I do not recall it I reused my old fittings or bought new ones.

Ivan

16. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Ivan,
    as you know there are two brown hoses on the 3500GT engine.
    A short one from the block to the head and the other (the longer one) from the gauge to the block. On my car these two hoses had different diameters. The shorter one has an inside diameter of 6mm the longer one (from the gauge to the block) has an inside diameter of 5mm.

The 6mm hose is available - I found one in Italy but the thinner one (5mm) is not available.

Do you know if T Rutlands also can provide the 5mm hoses ?
    This is important because the fittings of the 5mm hose are too large for the 6 mm hose. Also the chromed plate on the firewall which surrounds the hose to the gauge cannot be used properly when using a 6mm hose instead of the correct 5mm one.

If anybody knows a source of the brown hose in 5mm I would be pleased to know.

Thank you
    Alfred

17. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Excellent observation and quite correct.
    FGM

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I think what they have is the 6mm. I must have also bought the fittings to make it work with the oil gauge. In my Vignale there was no chromed plate therefore fitting a thicker hose was not a problem.

Ivan

19. wlemasters

wlemasters Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill LeMasters
    Hi Alfred,

My oil pressure hose was broken and I couldn't find the smaller one in original finish anywhere. So, I used the larger 6mm hose and bought fittings from Newco http://www.newcoproducts.com/new/cohline/hoses.php to cap the ends over the original fittings to the block and gauge. They were my source for original hoses also.

Bill LeMasters

20. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered the hose from MIE. Newco products wanted about $19.50 per inch! MIE wanted about half that for the same hose.

21. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #746 mfletch, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car is finally finished!!! It has been a long journey with a few unexpected turns. I can not thank all of the wonderful people here enough for all of the help and advice that you have given me. I test dove the car this week and the transmission shifts perfectly. Thanks Frank.
    I am currently listing the car on Ebay. I will post a link here as soon as I have the ad complete.

22. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Wow!! Great job Mark. The results look spectacular!
    Way to hang in there.
    Ciao,
    FGM

23. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    This car should sell for a very good price.
    This is the best, no expense spared restoration.
    Job well done.
    Olivier

24. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Frank, thank you. Thanks again for the help with the transmission....I am sorry it turned into such an adventure.
    Olivier, thank you. I would love to see some pics of the Dino and hear how it is progressing.
    The car is now on Ebay. Here is the link...Maserati Other 2 Door | eBay