Capristo Remote dealer installation??? | FerrariChat

Capristo Remote dealer installation???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gilly6993, Mar 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 gilly6993, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    My dealer is quoting me 6 hours and $835 for the install of the remote as they say the rear bumper needs to come off.....does that sound about right?....I was thinking it was a "quick" job....maybe an hour at the most....Eric

2. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Does that include the Capristo switch and remote or is this just labor?

3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Labor only....

4. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    I had called around and found quotes in the $1250 - $1500 range.
    Would be interested to know what others are paying.

I had heard that the cost of the unit went up from $600 to $750 or so.
    Have not validated that as of yet.

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 gilly6993, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    I thought it was a simple plug and play thing that took an hour or so....Capristo says if you are somewhat mechanically inclined it can be done yourself....that doesn't seem to be the case....

6. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    COMPLETE BS.

They are going to charge you to take the bumer off, when the likely will not take it off.

Taking it off would make the install easier, but it can be done without taking it off.

Dealers are so full of Sheet sometimes.

7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's what I figured...I have 3 options then....attempt it myself, pay the dealer, or leave it alone....

8. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    Cant see how they are charging you that much . I send many of these remotes out and the most i see charged is around $250 installed .
    We do install for free at our place . So if any one in Florida wants them installed we do it while you wait .

9. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al

Do you have available any "how to do it" paperwork and pics for those so inclined to DIY?

10. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    the next one we do i will make a diy diagram . So that anyone can plug them on at home

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Oh. That is too much. Should be $600 for the unit plus 3 hours labor tops = $1000 all in, less if you get a good shop.

12. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thank you Andrea. That would be great.

Definitely look forward to seeing your DIY diagram. If it really require minimal "labor",
    then I am sure many will probably proceed in this direction, if so inclined.

Will put off my dealer installation until I see your DIY diagram.

2 questions: Will you post your illustrated diagram here and when would you expect "the next one you will do"?

Thanks again.

13. Ragnomn

Ragnomn Karting

Oct 19, 2012
    I would be interested too... Please send us DIY instructions

14. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That would be incredibly helpful....for now I'm holding off....hopefully you do one soon!

15. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    It is an easy DIY.

Bring a radio outside on a nice day, take an hour, save yourself the money.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Could you share some instructions?...it seems easy enough but I'm a visual kind of guy.....If I see some pics or step by step I would probably tackle it....I think the biggest question is where the ECU is and how to best access it....

17. johnm

johnm Rookie

May 15, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    John
    My official dealer installed in 2 hours but charged for 1. Reason was they said it should only take 1 hour but they've never installed one before.

18. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Just curious. Do you know if they had to install it from underneath the car or from above via the rear window?

19. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
  20. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You guys serious? You are going to Ferrari Dealer to have them install a non-factory part on your $250k+ car and you are whining about $1500 charge to have it done by a factory-certified technician?

Seems to me if you have that view, it should be zero problem for you get either put it in yourself or get "any mechanic" to do it for you.

21. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Even if you have the $ for a car like the 458, you don't like to be taken advantage of. The fact that they are factory trained and know the car inside and out should make it even easier and faster for them to do the job.

Service jobs are probably a large part of the revenue stream at a dealer but gouging people with a Ferrari tax isn't good business in my mind.

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The rear bumper is attached by 8 bolts that are easily accessed from underneath. Takes 20 minutes to remove.

23. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yea...I don't like being taken advantage of....$1000 is still $1000....I have to work hard for that money and don't like to throw it away, no matter how much it is....I have over an hour drive to my dealership....what I was told by others is a simple job is made into all day expensive event by my dealer and it's a problem for me and others....

24. johnm

johnm Rookie

May 15, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    John
    Its a bit tricky but was done via the rear window. The main problem was the box had to be placed behind the heat shielding as it can get quite hot there.

25. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Understand - So take it to your local Pep Boys, Sears Auto repair, or other local Shop and get a dirt cheap price. Skip the Ferrari dealer - they have the right to charge whatever they want.