P4/5, La Ferrari Comparo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

P4/5, La Ferrari Comparo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ryan S., Mar 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    NO way I could say it better. Exactly my feelings.

2. Innotech

Innotech Formula Junior

May 14, 2004
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Jue
    Jim you win at everything.

I think the thing I envy most about you is that you have the financial ability to trun your dream design into reality. I have some quite interesting ideas for car design (and actually the LF is not that different from designs I drew ten years ago) but they will never become an actual car :(
    I suppose I could post some of my ideas here in the future but where would be best to put such a topic?

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As we're embarking on a new road car adventure as outlined at the end of the original
    P 4/5 thread feel free to post them there. Or maybe Art section?

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If I may, why don't you start a thread in the creative arts section? There are a lot of pro designers and hobbyists here that woud join in. Like other sites, you can have a running sketch group with a different brief each time.

5. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Influence of a design in another design is not something that someone can know about and secretly (or not) tell to others. Influence of a design in another design shows or doesn't show. IMVHO LF does not show P4/5 influence. Jim G, I have nothing against you (though you must be using the ignore feature with me) but I certainly am a bit bored by your constant promoting of P4/5 technical excellence and superiority and it being the mother of all designs. I know you have a lot of haters but the more arrogant you show, the more active the haters.

6. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Post em here I'd like to see.

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell

This makes a lot of sense to me. Still love the P4/5 though.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    those damn 'image' boards.....:D

9. Innotech

Innotech Formula Junior

May 14, 2004
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Jue
    One of the main problems with the profile of LF is that it DOESNT have enough of the P4/5 in it. Well thats just me saying that but I was certainly expecting a bit of it to filter through.
    The most interesting part of the LF for me is where the side bodywork morphs into the canopy and up over the rear deck. the surfacing there out of which the rear fenders form with their own air scoops is my favorite detail of the car, but I do love the way the P4/5 handled the side intakes like a classic Ferrari.

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol! I knew you would relate.

By spring every single board had the obligatory watch, bomber jacket, fighter plane, etc. Then again, we didn't have the Internet and had to pull all our images from an old thing called "magazines"! ;) No wonder they all ended up looking the same.

What was worse, I came up during the whole GM "brand marketing" debacle.

11. Mr reventon

Mr reventon Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Jim might own the design rights, but unless you penned P4/5 yourself on a blank sheet of paper from your brain, sent it over to Ferrari and asked for it, you can't possibly or truly own it, the designer probably gave you a series of designs, you picked the best theme/elements, throw some of your input and he gets back to work, your car is a Ferrari at the end of the day, and it looks like a Ferrari, Ferrari might be pissed off because they had no choice but to put a Ferrari badge on the car because it definitely looks like it belongs to the family, you own the design rights so what, the world is about creativity and Art, its even written in nature and all her products as we all share a common ancestor which replicated, evolved and adapted creating many different species, its a natural phenomenon, you should be honoured they used cues from your car instead of moaning about it all the time, you can even say the P4/5 was partly the source of inspiration for the LF, which it probably was reading the reactions from some people on here, I think the P4/5 is quite a timeless piece of design, where as the LF is like a sooped of version of the past 10 years of Ferrari, I don't think the design is original however I think the P4/5 is, partly because it looks like a modern P330 which is one of my all time favourites.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    How can you call a design that is obviously a modern translation of a vintage competitioncar more original than a design that stands on it's own?? Retrodesign is wrong and always will be.

13. Innotech

Innotech Formula Junior

May 14, 2004
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Jue
    ill try sketching some dino sized designs and post them on here when I get a chance.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Oooooohh Dino sketch throw down!!! Can I play too?

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Those can become silly very quickly if one is not careful.
    The students know how to put one together........it's finding the right images that's difficult.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #41 Napolis, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    I actually prefer that rear end treatment (presume it's a secret showing event) ...with integrated bumper and blacked out center rib ....but it would maybe be considered to mild by some

18. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    These posts are all very true, if P4/5 was meant to evoke FERRARI elements of the 1960s then the P4/5 is just a copy itself. As others have stated, you cannot have a remake 40 years later and then proclaim that design as a god send and anything else harkening a similar language as a copy of what is in fact a copy.

Unfortunately I think there are strong hints of sour grapes upsetting a certain bit of hubris.

19. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I think Jim's P 4/5 has better proportions than LaFerrari and is elegantly simpler. But I don't think P 4/5 would do 0-186 mph in 15 seconds with LaFerrari's powertrain.

20. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I don't see the LF as a copy I just see it as being influenced to go in a more curvy direction because of p 4/5. Without p 4/5 we may still be seeing some of the very angular designs that were coming out around the time of the enzo.

21. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It's hard to say considering that P4/5 and LF are both said to look to the spirit of cars such as the 330 P4 and 312P. If they are both looking toward the same spiritual point then it makes sense that their architecture would be similar. It's hard to measure where design progressions lead to in the future

22. Innotech

Innotech Formula Junior

May 14, 2004
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Jue
    I didnt say like a Dino, just Dino sized.
    my designs are a bit more radical. not retro.

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yup.

24. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oh, man, that is pure.

25. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    Curious to see the concepts that were abandoned that will be displayed at the museum.