0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found | Page 17 | FerrariChat

0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    #401 GTE, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I managed my own little Ebay-success today, which is the purchase of this nice little model.

I believe this is 0202A as it raced at Le Mans in 1952. As far as I can tell, the pictures in post #5 don't show 0202A, but 0196A, which, according to barchetta.cc and racingsportscars.com was indeed raced at Le Mans in 1952 by Trintignant and Rosier, wore number 15 and was a barchetta, whereas 0202A was then a berlinetta. Is this correct?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ryan S. likes this.
  2. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Great fine and patina too !

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Ferrari records indicate that the car was a barchetta, not a berlinetta.

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I am not sure which records you are referring to but both racingsportscars.com and barchetta.cc list 0202A as a Berlinetta. It is later rebodied to a "340 Mexico Special" (whatever that means). They also list 0202A as having run the 1952 Le Mans race with #14, not #15 as shown in the pictures in post number 5. 0196A ran with #15 (and indeed with Trintignant and Rosier). Considering the source it is very much possible that the pictures indeed show 0202A, but it isn't consistent with the information I get from various sources, so perhaps there is someone, maybe even Marcel himself, who is able to clarify.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #405 El Wayne, Mar 8, 2013
    I suggest you go back and read this thread, as the points that you bring up have been discussed at length by well-informed people (yes, "even Marcel himself") and factory records have been posted.

By the way, here is the car represented by your scale model:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Thanks Wayne. I took your advice and now I realize how annoying my inquiry must have been, coming to the party so late. Well, when it was long over to be honest. In my confusion (and delight over finally be able to pick this model up) I forgot to check the most obvious source: this thread and the knowledgable people that populate it.

However, I am still not sure which model I bought if it's not 0202A.

7. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    But it is 0202A, formerly supposed to be 0206A, which is a boat engine only.

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    So the pictures in posts #5, #152 and #154 actually show 0196A or at least not 0202A?

I wasn't sure that this was finally esthablised, since Tom Roland apperantly didn't respond any further.

9. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    They do show 0196A (untill further notice :)).

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Post 152.

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    So, is Tom building a Berlinetta or a Barchetta body? Or awaiting further notice?

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I was recently at Tom's shop and it appears he is busy with other projects for the time being.

13. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I'm contradicting myself when writing from my head, I stand corrected for this. #15 at Le Mans is the car in question as far as Tom's car is concerned meaning 0202A. Which leaves your car's question opened.

14. phil63

phil63 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi everybody,
    first of all I m french spoken so I can do quite a lot of mistake in english writting...
    There is a noticeable body difference on those two cars.
    0196 was the scuderia car with Taruffi for MMiglia and the rear boot panel is domed for the spare wheel, rear vents behind rear wheels and no petrol refueling cap behind the driver as the Rosier car at Le Mans race nb 15
    0196 is the only spyder Vignale with this very low rear end shape.

Nb 12 at Le Mans has a normal boot skin shape, no vents on the side rear wings and a fuel cap visible
    There is a sky view pic taken on the start of MM that shows those details
    and they match with Rosier car nb 15 at Le Mans.
    there is also a sky view pic of nb 12 when Marchal's mecanic work on the car before the start.
    I hope this will help Tom in his restoration and I m very happy he got the right engine for his chassis
    I think Mr Prunet was able to give those details but I understand also that by the way of how Mr Massini write to him he don't have a real pleasure to continue in this thread.
    Friendly to all of you

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Hello Phil,

I see it is your first post since you joined Fchat in december 2011, so welcome. Nothing wrong with your english. I just need a bit of clarifcation.

The confusion is about 0196A and 0202A. You speak of noticable difference in the body between the two, which, comparing them, is indeed obvious since 0196A is a barchetta and 0202A is a Berlinetta (or at least to my information.

Then you refer two car number 12 (as run at Le Mans in 1952). That should be 0204A, also a Barchetta Vignale (and indeed not easy to distinguish from 0196A), but as far as I can tell this car is not part of the confusion.

But perhaps this will all be solved in the future and the Ferrari world can welcome a historically correct restored 0202A

16. phil63

phil63 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi everybody,
    First of all I m french spoken so my english writting is absolutly not perfect!!!!
    There is a noticeable difference between 0196 and 0202:
    0196 was the factory car at MM with Taruffi race nb 614
    the rear boot skin has a domed form for the spare wheel, vents on side rear wings and no fuel cap behind the driver
    a small chromed look for the engine bonnet (just in front of windscreen)
    the car went to switzerland (GP de Berne)and change color and some details as scoop on top wings
    Rosier car at Le Mans race nb 15 has the same details with a modification of the scoop
    The car with nb 12 is different no dome for spare wheel no vents on rear wings but have a fuel cap behind driver and two leather strap for engine bonnet.
    There is one pic at MM start and one at Le mans that show those details and both are sky view.
    I don't know very much about (stupid) copyrights so I don't know if I can post it
    I think if you do pics it's for showing something to other person....

I hope it will help Tom in his restoration project
    I m very happy for him that he got the right engine for his chassis.
    I think Tom Roland (or Mr Prunet ) was able to give those details but I understand also by the way how he was treated by Mr Massini (a little bit agressive) that He don't have any pleasure to share his knowledge.
    Friendly to all of you

17. phil63

phil63 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I think my first message was not posted
    a real novice!!!

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I think your messages have been posted. Thank you for your insights.

19. phil63

phil63 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I was surprised by the very strong position of some post about 0196 (Massini for exemple)
    0196 is the only car (Vignale barchetta) with a so low rear end I mind the wing profile.
    As the spare wheel is up to fuel tank it's not possible to place it lower so that's why the MM 614 has this shape for the rear boot cover

20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Another unusual aspect of 0196 at the M.M. was that Taruffi took a codriver/navigater along. The car was fitted with a full width windscrene with the center partially cut out. I assume Taruffi had somehing do with both these.Another thing about 0196, Barchetta as of 8/4/12 still has it listed as the Rosier/Trintignant car at LeMans. tongascrew

21. phil63

phil63 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi Tongascrew,
    You're perfectly right, Taruffi wish to have the windscreen center cuted. He ask the factory to do it because the vision at this point has a distorsion trough the plexi, he made a long test drive before the MM detailed in a long report with a lot of improvments to do before the race.
    2 vents were added in front of windscreen just before the race started
    An other detail: he added a second small windscreen for him just 2 cm in front of the big one,
    The car has two types of windscreen in Grand Prix de Berne, one 2 seats and one single seat.
    the same single seat windscreen was fittted in Le Mans and the holes (of the screws) of the big one are visible

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, thanks for the info. Every little bit helps.I don't think of Taruffi taking a codriver in Mille Miglia events. How come he did this time? Any other details on 0196 you would like to share would be most welcome. Regards tongascrew

23. phil63

phil63 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    #423 phil63, Mar 11, 2013
  24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Amazing stuff. Did mr Ferrari sign off himself those testing notes?

25. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    What happened to the last few (recent) posts regarding assertions that this car was originally a Vignale coupe? They appear to have been removed...