Dino 206 and 246 GTS at Coys, London. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino 206 and 246 GTS at Coys, London.

Discussion in '206/246' started by miurasv, Mar 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I had until recently two very similar 1973 246 GTS Dinos for sale. One was a Euro model and one a USA model. They both were yellow black, matching number, rust, accident free examples with full services done. The were both priced the same at $279,000.

The USA model was just a bit nicer all the way around overall, yet the Euro car sold and had multiple back-up offers and today the USA model is still available.

Both my USA and overseas buyers in general prefer a Euro 246GT or GTS by almost a 2 to 1 advantage.

This changes however when I have a late 74 USA Chairs and Flares model. That buying segment strictly wants a USA version.

I am not making a statement here, just an observation based on many, many sales recently and over the years past.

Ciao,

Bill

2. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    74 CH a F edition thumbs sup Bill :)

3. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    no good for the seller

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Those may be the facts, but it doesn't really explain the why, does it?

BTW, was the Euro speedo in kilos or had it been converted to MPH? I can see having a speedo in kilos being an advantage in Europe, but the conversion is pretty easy (well, except for the odometer - slightly harder).

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I would like to know who the seller was.

This car has a recent history that is way out of the norm. I don't know if the seller is the reason or the down line guy that sold the car.

6. BluGTS

BluGTS Karting

Aug 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    BLU GTS
    I had a good look at the car , luckily I had a magnet with me! I can confirm that the front of the car was alloy as was the rest of the car . So the story about the front end being from a 246 must be incorrect .

7. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Your assumption is incorrect.

I looked at buying this car a few years back before it went to auction in the USA. The car was in Calgary at the time. I believe Cronenberg's girlfriend crashed the car early in its life and a 246 steel front clip was installed. After changing several hands the car landed in Alberta. It's owner comissioned a company to manufacture a new aluminum front end from scratch. Therefore the front end is aluminum but not a factory front end.

We couldn't agree on price and I wanted pictures of the undercarriage which the owner was hesitant to furnish so negotiations broke down. By all accounts the car is a driver and the price reflects this. It was well sold IMHO.

8. BluGTS

BluGTS Karting

Aug 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    BLU GTS
    I stand corrected ... It's fantastic to hear the real story about the 206 . Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the car

9. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I stand corrected

good for the seller

this car was in need of a frame.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    David Cronenberg's Ferrari leads Coys' spring sale | Classic and Sports Car

According to Classic & Sportscar, in the above link, the 2 Dinos netted £432,800, with the 246 hammered at £192,200 and the 206 selling for £240,600. Does this mean the 206 was also hammered at this price making the total considerably higher when the buyer's premium is added or does the net price include this? Confused!!!

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is what I have been waiting for to come up, and I can't believe it hasn't yet.

This 206 was sold out of Houston to someone who was wanting to do quite a few things on the cheap. The engine was sent out of the US but the body remained here. There were significant chassis repairs that needed to be made. The proper chassis material couldn't be sourced and a hunt was underway for something comparable. In the end, framing material used in the furniture business was utilized. The Dino then proceeded to sit in a cargo container on a dock for over a year.

12. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think we were all trying to be politically correct. Hopefully it is in good hands now and the car will get some TLC.

13. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    #38 stuartlarman, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree with bill noon. Excluding the chairs and flares dino from the discussion, the euro dinos are more pleasing to the eye. I would trade my usa gts for a euro gts in a minute. Who among us will say that they like recessed front turn indicators vs the euro flush ones? Who likes the 6 large red square side and rear reflectors/lights on the usa dino vs the 2 cute little round side lights in the front fenders of the euro dino. CLEARLY the euro dino is cleaner in appearance; and lets remember that all these 'safety' lights on the usa dino were mandated by usa safety laws, not an italian designer! It's also obvious that a euro car with NO smog stuff is more desirable than a usa dino with smog stuff removed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I honestly have no problem with the looks of the GTS or the USA version. Still a super WOWIE looking car to me.

15. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    It has been stated here already that the 206 GT was hammered sold at GBP £190,000 and the 246 GTS was hammered sold at GBP £170,000. I was there. This is true.

The buyers commission on the GT therefore, is £15,550 (15% on the first £30k and 10% thereafter) If the car stays in the EU this commission will attract VAT at 20%. So the car sold for either £205,550 or £208,660 depending on where it is going.

The buyers commission on the GTS is £13,550. So it sold for either £183,550 or £186,260.

Classic & Sportscar's calculator can not be working. Or they have little care for accuracy.

Mark Shannon

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I too would prefer a Euro GT rather than my car...except the fact mine is a known quantity with great restoration pictures and runs like a scalded cat.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your reply which confirms the Classic & Sportscar figures to be incorrect.

18. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi,

I've never posted on here before but my friend, Matthias B., kindly sent me a link. I'm the guy who bought the 206 GT at Coys in London a couple of weeks ago and I'm over the moon with my purchase! I was fully aware of the light front end "biff" due to the excellent paperwork and photo album provided by Coys showing the damage and gradual painstaking repair work. The accident occurred while the car was being driven by David Cronenburg in 1980 (Googling "David Cronenburg Crash" will bring up a slightly different piece of info...). My Ferrari engineer in Jersey (in the UK) is going through the whole car at the moment, sorting out everything prior to a nut+bolt respray in the correct Rosso Dino 20-R-350.

I hope that helps with any confusion and look forward to meeting fellow Dino fans in Europe on a "Dino Meet" in the not too distant future.

Cheers,

Tony ps I was fascinated to learn that #00280 is the first Dino and only 206 to be ordered for Germany (Auto-Becker).

19. TonyJerseyUK

TonyJerseyUK Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    At £190k hammer (correct) a Coys 15% comm for the first £30k and 10% for £160k bal plus UK VAT = a total comm of £24,600, so total invoice price of £214,600 (+5% GST to Jersey) so over £225k landed where it's going to live.

I know this to be correct - I paid it!

Tony ;)

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Congratulations Tony and welcome! Great car in a great period color which is very unique, love it. Please start a thread devoted to your car and its progress ... we all would thoroughly be interested.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Welcome to Ferrari Chat, Tony. Thanks for posting the above and congratulations on winning the auction. The 206 Dino is one of the most important cars in Ferrari history imho being the first of the line of great cars that brings us to today's 458. That it's alloy bodied, all alloy engined and the rarest Dino (152) production car makes it the most desirable version of the prettiest road car ever made, again imo. I'm sure you'll enjoy and love owning her very much.

22. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #47 Rock, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Glassfibre floor?

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Totally correct for the car in question

25. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Congratulations Tony, great to hear you plan to repaint to the original colour.

Were you replacing the central chassis tube? I see the hoses through a missing section of rusty tube... familiar problem.