F1 clutch replacement | FerrariChat

F1 clutch replacement

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ROCKY1634, Mar 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    getting close to the time for a clutch replacement on my 2002 575, the clutch shows 26%
    clutch wear left. the car has 32000 miles and still shifts just fine, however it is time.
    how do i know if the car needs a new clutch assembly or just a clutch disc? i know the T/O
    bearing should be replaced (with a hill engineering bearing) and the flywheel may need
    resurfacing or replacement.
    would appreciate any suggestions you may have and if you have any ideas as to cost and/
    or hours to complete the job.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rocky- I would have your tech do a visual inspection on the clutch to see how much life is left. Easy to see with a borescope through the inspection port. If she is not selecting neutral at inopportune times or giving F1 warning lamps, there may be life left in the old clutch.

If it were my car and I was replacing the clutch, I would replace the clutch assembly, T/O bearing, and the last model clutch position sensor with waterproof connectors. But see what our pros say about that. The disc is available separately for ~$800 from Ricambi vs ~$2800 for a complete clutch assembly. Parts costs are available at Ricambi's site and you can check with your tech and see how much the whole job will cost.

Ferrari Parts, Ferrari Accessories, and Ferrari Performance Products - Ricambi America, Inc.

3. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    #3 2005575superamerica, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    I had my F1 clutch bearing replaced by Wide World Ferrari

194775 1 CLUTCH /COMPLETE 2,316.32
    177205 1 T/O BEARING 575MM 1,431.73
    181837 1 SEALING RING 22.70
    170416 1 RING 2.73
    181838 1 SEALING RING 21.62
    181828 1 SEALING RING 27.02
    154507 1 SEALING RING 44 4.77
    181836 1 SCRAPER RING 24.86
    243784 1 F1 CLUTCH SENSOR KIT 483.95

Even in sport mode especilly when I down shift and apply gas normally(not banging it throught the shift), there is a significant lag before the clutch fully engages as if the clutch were slipping.

I have had the car back twice but they say everything is set up to spec.

It is because it is not the hill throw out bearing?

Labor 3,250.00
    Parts 4,335.70
    Total Charges 7,585.70
    Sales Tax 635.30
    Total 8,221.00

8k + and still not right. What to do?

4. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    what are the pros and cons when it comes to replacing the whole clutch assembly vs
    just replacing the clutch disc on a 575 with F1 trans? my car will need a clutch soon and I have never heard this issue mentioned. I know the price difference is about $2000.
    another question... how about the flywheel? is it common to resurface or replace it.
    this will be my first clutch job and I want to know all that I can.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Labor costs about as much as parts, so many consider it wise to do the best job possible up front so it does not have to be redone any sooner than it needs to be.

Flywheel can usually just be resurfaced according to our pros.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    Pressure plates wear out. Replace it.

Many shops were used to sending the flywheels out to the local parts house to be resurfaced. The quality of the work was **** and they had trouble making the clutch work correctly (see post3). Not having any idea how to address that many have resorted to just replacing flywheels ($1500 for a 575).

I just today estimated a 575 clutch job. To do it right (resurfaced flywheel) it will be north of 7G's

The clutch doubled in price.

Having a monopoly is good.

As an owner all you really need to know is to bring it to someone who knows what the **** they are doing and stands behind their work (see post 3).

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It worked well with a Ferrari bearing before. Why shouldn't it now?

There is nothing wrong with the Ferrari TO bearing except the price.

What to do? I would suggest you have them make it work correctly.

Resurfacing the flywheel and replacing the pilot bearing is a good place to start.

8. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    I was looking for other peoples experience and ideas

The dealer and I want to make it right.

What to do --The problem will be corrected

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Thanks, I had not even thought about replacing the pilot bearing during a clutch change, but it makes sense. Especially since it is less than $100. Do you replace the stop ring and ring nuts, or are they reusable?

The $7K plus is a good data point, and parts have really gotten expensive. Seems like the T/O bearing was only about $500 a couple of years ago. I am not sold on the aftermarket alternative.

10. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Terry, I'm curious to know what the aftermarket alternative is as I'm getting ready to have my clutch replaced. It's not the Hill T/O is it??

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A dragging pilot bearing can cause bad shiftng but in an F1 they can cause all sorts of malfunctions because the computer sees it as a not fully disengaged clutch.

Pilot bearing used to be SOP.

What stop ring and ring nuts?

Oh, you're looking at the clutch shaft bearing. Those are not really a problem in my experience. The pilot bearing is in the back of the crankshaft and supports the front end of that shaft.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Especially after scanning a few other threads around here this morning I need to comment.

Do not go into someones business and tell them their job based on what you read on the internet. This place has a very justifiably bad reputation in the Ferrari repair world and no shop wants to hear what you heard here. 90+ percent of the advice given here is just plain crap and the shops from coast to coast know it. If you really need to go to the internet to get you car right, what you really need is a new mechanic.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    A very well respected independent shop sent me a pm and asked me to give them a call to discuss the probable issues and potential mistakes that any shop may have done compared to their practices.

Very helpful and without judgment and offered respectfully

While your advice while in part is helpful, but an overwhelming majority seems more like a lecture and given with a high degree of disrespect to the posters on this board, every mechanic other than you that works on a ****ing Ferrari (see post # 6), and a very well respected Ferrari dealership with at least 3 master technicians.

Thanks but no thanks.