Vintage tires | FerrariChat

Vintage tires

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Mar 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    So it looks at this point these are my choices:

1. Michelin 225/70VR15 XWX at £330/each (as fitted from factory) or,

2. Avon CR6ZZ 225/65R15 at £257/each (giving a slightly lower ride and smaller rolling diameter),

3. Avon Turbosteel 70 235/70R15 at £180/each (giving a slightly higher ride height and larger rolling diameter).

Can anyone comment on these tires compared to each other? I've seen the Avons up close, and the tread depth looks to be a fraction of the Michelins.

Also, are there really no other alternatives? Has Goodyear stopped making the Eagle ES-A? Firestone has no more Firehawk PV41? Pirelli no longer offers anything in this size and rating? Just checking my options before I make a decision.

I'm primarily concerned with comfort, noise and safety. The car isn't going to be raced or run on a track, although I might like to find some winding mountain roads and open up the throttle now and again and would appreciate good traction. Longevity is important as well, especially if one tire type will end up lasting twice as long as another.

Thanks!

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are at least 3 active threads on this topic already going on in various parts of Ferrarichat. One in Maserati, one in Lamborghini and one in Technical.

3. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    None of which have answered my (very specific) questions.

No objection to deleting this thread, I'd just like to get some answers.

Maybe I need to be more patient. VintageTyres.com has a sale on XWX Michelins this month...

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm just suggesting that you continue in one of those threads. It seems to me that there have been some relevant (to your questions) posts recently in one of those threads.

5. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    yep that is the one. Just fit the XWX. nothing else will work as well, or look as good

Totally wrong in every way. including the diameter, and they dontt look right. but it is basically a racing tyre. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/avon-cr6zz.html a good one at that but wrong for a QuattroPorte.

again wrong. too wide and too tall, and it would be a shame to let your QuatroPorte down with those. Even the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow owners don't like the way they handle. I've got a Shadow and i fitted Michelin because the carcass structure handles so much better.

Just put the right thing on. you will be happy with them after you have forgotten your credit card bill. I know they cost more but they are better.

Incidentally, as you will see on this page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/maserati/quattroporte.html Pirelli do stilll make the tyres for the early QuatroPorte cars