Are prices falling? 246 GTS market dropped below $135k | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Are prices falling? 246 GTS market dropped below $135k

Discussion in '206/246' started by mjw599, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #176 4CamGT, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Ed! The 911 and Dino are emotionally so different. You need both for your different moods. The 911 is more durable, useable and purposeful everyday. A 911 demands to be used hard. there's a reason it was a favorite race car on any surface from LeMans to Monte Carlo to the African Safari. An all weather/all road machine! Makes you feel like Steve McQueen everyday! The Dino is more special and rare. Not really destined to be a race car. Much more delicate and to be used with your fingertips. Prefers fair weather. A Dino is absolute beauty!

Freeman

P.S. A photo of my stock '72 Tangerine 911T. One owner 1972 til 2005. Factory delivery in the summer of 1972. The alter ego from my 1969 2.8 twin plug Rgruppe "Sports Purpose" 911 in the previous photo!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm afraid I can't imagine current young people yearning for a 356 B or C Coupe.
    Yes, I agree, the As are cool looking and will always have a following. But my recollection is that there were many more B and C cars made than As.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Going the past years to the Porsche Rennsports, lit meets and car shows shows the 356(A,B and C's) have a huge global fan base that transcends all ages. This year's lit meet had standing room only. They truly are fun to drive and are the ultimate canvas for the hot rodder.

Fun reading:
    1965 Porsche 356 Outlaw | Porsche Tuning Mag

TheSamba.com :: Index

Fuel Magazine Australia - NEWS - Today's Work >> 'That' Porsche*356

Porsche 356 Outlaw photos - MadWhips, modified & exotic car spotting

Freeman

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #179 abstamaria, Mar 22, 2013
    WHAD'YA MEAN MY TC IS A HORROR TO DRVE?

Haha, Jim. Seriously, The TC is basically a 1930s car, and a lot of progress has been made since then. However, it does present such a contrast to a 70s or even a 60s sports car that every enthusiast should drive one. And with the windscreen down on a nice, easy day, I might even prefer it to a Dino.

Ciao, all,

Andres

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a 1951 Dodge pickup and when I put my mindset in the 50's mode I am totally happy driving her around and enjoy her for what she is.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #181 4CamGT, Mar 22, 2013
    Nostalgia is huge with all ages. In contrast to new cars where they do everything for you. people seem to be seeking the simplicity and purity of a past age. Classic cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's are the most popular classics that fit in today's environment. One only has to look at magazines like Intersection or go to Urban Outfitters to see this trend outside of the car enthusiast and see it as cool fashion. The SEMA Show is packed. Much of it is based on older modified cars. Come to our Saturday Cars&Coffee. On a sunny day it's packed with a variety of classics, hot rods, specialty cars and age groups. Lots of diversity. When I was growing up in the 70's, the interest in classic cars was much smaller. With today's social media it is global and huge. Going to the Porsche Lit Meet earlier this month, I've never seen more vendors with new reproduction parts for early Porsches. Have a look at Stoddard, NLA or Sierra Madre. Simply amazing! I think it's easier to get a specific 356 part today than in 1970! Go to the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena or to the Royal College of Art in London and see what aspiring future car designers are dreaming of and what they would love to drive themselves. You'll see increased interest in the 50's, 60's and 70's in architecture, fashion, lifestyle and cars.

Freeman

7. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I owned MGs for almost 30 years before buying the Dino, and my mother drove a TC and a TD when I was a kid. They are wonderful cars, but I think if I get garage space I'd rather go back further in time and get a supercharged 1932 J2 midget. Then you're driving a car that was much more state of the art at the time it was made.

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman, What a beautiful early 356! The color is amazing! I once drove a 1935 MG PB, and it was kind of like riding a familiar old horse that knew the way home. I think that sports cars of any era will always have a following, and 356 Porsches and Dinos, in particular, transcend generational divides. When I took delivery of a Porsche Cayman in 2007 (I traded a 2001 Boxster for it), I posted a "Dino-Cayman Design Comparison" on the Cayman Club forum (now part of Planet 9), with photos of my two Dinos and my new Cayman. Cayman owners often spoke of Dino influences seen in the Cayman's design. I myself see a lot of 356 in the gen-1 Cayman, particularly the high crown of the roof above the windshield, and the general silhouette. All good design experiences reincaration. Why should sports cars be any different? Fred

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #184 4CamGT, Mar 22, 2013
    Fred,

You're on the right wave length! My '56 356A's colors are it's original as delivered : Aquamarine Blue Metallic (a '56 color only)with Red "Kunstleder" interior. Photo below is by Jeff Zwart.

Freeman

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman, That color combination is as new as tomorrow! My '73 Dino (October, '72 build tag, completed on January 29,1973, per Matthias) is Blu Sera with a tan interior. As much as I love the antique look of the tan pigskin, I wish that it were red. I have a German Ferrari photo book with a shot of a 365 GTB/4 in Blu Sera with a blood red interior---it's smashing! At an inaugural car show held last August at Oak Hill Country Club, site of this year's PGA Championship, I met a gentleman with a '55 Speedster in a light-to-medium non-metallic blue, with a red interior. It was a true crowd pleaser! This brings us back to the desirability question. This particular show had a wide range of cars from the thirties through a new Lamborghini Aventador and a new Maserati Gran Sport Cabriolet (both black with black wheels, both owned by the same person). A good friend's '64 356 coupe was also present. The cars all played well together, as did the owners! My blue Dino was flanked by a black '48 Ford woody wagon and a BRG V-12 Jaguar roadster. It's all good! Fred

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #186 4CamGT, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

Fred,

You're so right in that color combos are so emotional! That's one of the first questions I ask when looking for a car. I believe it's one of the top ingredients in creating desirability and value on a classic. I can also remember many examples where I saw a classic painted in it's non original as delivered colors and was so smitten I didn't care!

Freeman

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Talking of Dino prices, have you seen the prices of '60s and '70s 911s lately? 2.7 RS Carreras have gone through the roof.

13. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    We all seem to travel in small circles... One of my daily drivers is an ultra early production 356A Coupe built in October of 55. It was built and remains Aquamarine Metallic with a red interior with Speedster seats. I love a variety of pre and post war Sporting Machines but that color combination and the car itself always puts a smile on my face!

Ciao,

Bill

PS: on a more related topic... sold another Dino yesterday!

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman, I agree completely. A small number of cars are so beautiful that, while the perfect color combination will be an eternal favorite, just about any color will do. I think a perfect example of that is the Toyota 2000 GT. I've only personally seen one so far, in red, but the color was the last thing on my mind! Fred

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #190 4CamGT, Mar 22, 2013
    Steve,

Love Carrera RS's but love the visual purity of a T, E or S without rear spoiler in the right colors and equipment without decals, wings etc soooo much more! Dinos to me are much more special and rare than an RS. Dinos were made to a bespoke special pure design that just makes your heart melt that can't be replicated! An RS is easy to replicate with a '73 T, E or S. I would much rather have the more pure unwinged 911 anyday! Don't get me wrong. I love Carrera RS's, just not at the price they're going for. After all, they made over 1500 RS's. Not rare by early 911 standards. For less money (and by choice) I can have my '72 Dino GT, my '72 911T AND my '56 356A. This of course is my own personal choice.

Freeman

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #191 miurasv, Mar 22, 2013
    The RS or any 911 can't come anywhere near to a Dino beauty wise. I remember reading a comparo in my youth in the seventies (76?) in Autocar or Motor of the Dino against a Carrera, that may have been the 3 litre one, and I thought anyone who'd have that over a Dino must be mad, even though the Carrera was faster, more practical and better built. I'm not taking anything away from a 911 though. They're great, but the Dino is just so mesmerisingly beautiful.

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Steve,

You are so correct. I think through this thread we've established a great conversation about interest and demographics on classic cars in general with classic car ownership and interest is still a growing trend. Also that the Dino is still undervalued by Carrera RS standards and still being bought by true enthusiasts.

Freeman

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

Although, as a 356A owner, I'd still say the early 911s and the Dino 246 are in a sweet spot -- pre-dating the age of ugly impact bumpers, seat belt buzzers, bloated airbag steering wheels, heavy smog equipment, but fast enough to handle modern traffic.

Also, it's hard to pick up a catalogue from a high end men's clothing label without a 356 or similar featuring in there somewhere. The designers have to go back 40+ years to find cars that are suitably classic and stylish -- cars made long before most of the catalogue shoppers were driving.

Not sure whether $300K is too high for a 246, but I wouldn't expect a price collapse. And 356s and early 911s are similarly timeless. I think they'll be fetching strong prices long after the 599s and 360s are being recycled into beer cans.

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Freeman,

I just want to hijack this thread for a moment and say how much I have loved your work over the years. I really respect what you have accomplished. I actually met you briefly at the Audi/VW studio in Calabasas back in the early 90's when I was touring different studios trying to figure out what I wanted to do as an Industrial Designer. I wish you well in your future endeavours.

-F

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #195 abstamaria, Mar 22, 2013
    What a lovely car, Freeman. And set against a modern house in the old international style.

Andres

By the way, I had a 1972 911T (with the mechanical fuel injection) for a long while in the 80s. We should start a new thread on nice companion cars for the Dino.

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Hello, Fred. One of the three Dino owners here in Manila has a lovely 2000GT in white. I saw those from new as my friends had them in the late 60s. I had a TR4 then and was so envious. I still remember the frost time I sat in one - that incredible dashboard!

Andres

22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Furman,

Thanks for the compliment! I have to say I've been really fortunate to work with amazing talented people and have had great opportunities! I also wish you well in your future endeavors! BTW, you have a great website!

Freeman :)

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Andres,

I agree! Also what attracts one to the differences. Kind of Ying and Yang.

Yin and yang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freeman

24. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I must admit I have a definite weak spot for 356A's.
    In 1988 I had a '57 A Speedster project car that I thought I could do work on myself to make it financially feasible, but it became obvious that the car needed VERY extensive metal work, the crankshaft was worthless, etc, etc, and I sold it back to the dealer I bought if from after a year (at a 50% profit-- can't complain).

Once I tried to find out what happened to the car on one of the Speedster forums but no one answered.

25. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andres, White is definitely the signature color for the 2000 GT, perhaps because of the white convertible one-off in "You Only Live Twice." Unlike many curvaceous cars, the 2000 GTs lines are enhanced, not hidden, by white. Thanks for the photo in the other thread of the white coupe. I think that our "wish lists" have a lot of congruency! Wouldn't it be great to have a "Dino and Companions" car show somewhere, someday? Daydreaming, to be sure, but a great way to start the work week! Regards, Fred