Bill Harrah's Ferrari's | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bill Harrah's Ferrari's

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Jan 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Lol. I actually tried to buy this beast but was out-bid on eBay at the last minute.

2. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #27 John B, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just noticed that it looks like the "Jerrari" is burning rubber from all four wheels in this pic!
    Gotta love that guy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Yah....I tried that with both of my GW's; could never get it to work!
    I used to cruise by the house where the car lived in the late '90's; owners had many strange cars from the old collection; the engineless GW lived under a weathered tarp in the driveway.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Does it still have the V-12? I thought it had a V-8 in the last ad I saw for it.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    No, it had the V-8 at the time, but I had access to a C4 motor for cheap and was considering marrying the two. Come to think of it, I'm probably lucky to have avoided that project.

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, this car now has a V8 in it and is owned by an FChatter in the midwest....
    (see also my comment above)

Harrah built a second Waggy, I believe an '88, also with a V12 (possibly the same motor).
    It is displayed in the National Automotive Museum in Reno. Externally it is completely stock and original, no 'snout'. A much better solution, IMHO.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  7. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #32 thepinkumbrella, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those interested in Bill Harrah and some of the cars that made up his formidable collection I would recommend Dean Batchelor's 1984 book 'Harrah's Automobile Collection'.

There is not huge Ferrari content with greater space dedicated to the more obscure vehicles such as the Pope-Hartford Roadster and the Graham-Paige All Weather Cabriolet.

The book lists the 1,464 vehicles that were owned by Harrah at the time of his death in June 1978, five of which were Ferraris.

Below are a couple of images from the book, including a picture of William Harrah with Enzo Ferrari when he visited the Maranello factory in 1959.

Paul

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Very interesting, thanks for posting!

Factory photo must have been taken in spring/summer of 1961 though, as 2111GT is in the background. Is that Superamerica 5115SA?

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
  10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    about 30 years ago I went out to the San Fernando valley once to a restoration shop, I think their
    real business was landing gear but they restored Ferraris and they had a vertical grille early Ferrari that they were going to restore that looked something liek the Agnelli car. They said it had hit a tree. I didn't see that one mentioned here.

11. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I was amazed to see the "Jerrari" b/c I'd read of it, but always thought he'd simply popped a Ferrari v-12 into a 4WD Jeep body...I had NO idea he'd cut the nose off a Ferrari also....

Maybe the one I'd hard of was actually the 2nd. Amazing guy. Must have been a lot of fun!

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Batchelor was prolific, documenting lots of the (American) automotive scene, from exotics and classics to hot rods to Bonneville record setters. He wrote at least one other Ferrari-specific book, the "Illustrated Ferrari Buyers Guide", published by Motorbooks.

That is the one that sealed my own fate. Chapter 13, The 330 GTC & GTS, 1966 to 1970

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    There was a second Jerrari that is just like you say: A V12 in a regular Grand Wagoneer body with a lengthened front end.

I saw it at the National Auto Museum in Reno several years ago and have some photos, which I will post when I can find them. They were pre-digital era and I don't remember if I have scanned them yet, but I will check on that computer.

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Thanks for the tip, must get my hands on that one.

Onno

15. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    I got to see the collection about 1971-2 when we went through Reno. At the time he had a hanger full of cars, but not so many exotics (yet). He had started collecting Fords and Packards, and had on display a Ford of every year from the Model T up to the early 50's, if I remember right.
    I saw him once at Hershey driving into the stadium, and wondered how he fit into a Morgan Trike.
    I have always wondered if he ever sat in my 330. It was delivered to his dealership.

Cheers
    Warren

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Did Garry Roberts have this car? Reason for asking is I came this close to buying it from him about ten years ago. Too bad about the wreck.

Dale

17. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I went through a few times the first in 1976, and you had access to his restoration shop where you could watch the mechanics work on his cars and on restorations. I still remember one of his Bugatti Royale's being washed and detailed..and then driven back into the museum and parked..i was impressed with its presence and how quiet it was..it was a large car

18. Napoli365

Napoli365 Karting

Jul 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stefano Caretti
    I know this is a very old post...but thought I give it a try (as I am putting together a Ferrari 365 Gt 2+2 registry). Any chance you have any pictures of what Harrah's car looked like when you purchased the interior?
    Thank you.
    Stefano

19. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    I grew up in Reno and knew the collection well. That second Jerrari actually had a Boxer-12 in it, not a V. And the front end was all Jeep.

20. Napoli365

Napoli365 Karting

Jul 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stefano Caretti
    Thank you for the follow-up. I was trying to ascertain the VIN number of the body so that I could enter that information on the Registry. Do you know who may know that information? Also, may you know what happened to the chassis?

21. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    375+ likes this.
  22. Napoli365

Napoli365 Karting

Jul 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stefano Caretti
    Thank you. I believe that is the "2nd" Jerrari, which was build from from the mechanics of a crashed 365 GTC/4. Given that I am trying to find all 365 GT 2+2, I was trying to determine the VIN number of the one (1st Jerrari) that was modified.

Sincerely,

Stefano

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a friend who is a former employee of MCM, I will ask.

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a friend who is a former employee of MCM, I will ask.

25. Napoli365

Napoli365 Karting

Jul 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stefano Caretti