Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I agree its adjustable but you shouldn't fiddle with them because they are set up on a tester and they are adjusted at that time. If someone messed around with them then that changes things but if one were off significantly you wouldn't be able to dial in your HC/CO and have the car run right. If you had one that was flowing more than the other 5 on the one bank you would end up running 5 cylinder lean to compensate and it wouldn't run right. Plug colour would be off as well. If you had one lean you would have 5 rich cylinders to cover up the lean one, plugs would reveal that again. I say don't touch them, they are adjustable in that they are used to calibrate the distributor but not for final setup.

2. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    #252 412monzaindy, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    sweet baby jesus, that is sick

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #254 JazzyO, Mar 4, 2012
    Jet Set Jester likes this.
  5. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Yes you were misunderstanding, I said that the 512BBi is closer to the Testarossa/TR than the 512BB is to the Testarossa/TR.

Onno

6. Mario Pano

Mario Pano Formula Junior

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Also a lot lighter than TR by far and potentially easily made even lighter by not carrying the spare ,custom exhaust etc can save almost another 200 pounds which when added to the difference to begin with is quite a lot.
    There is a lot of confusion on weight from articles in the past ,fact is cars on scales prove BB being much lighter
    Besides the weight difference they are also geared different(shorter) making the BBi much faster than a Testarossa(tested personally when owned both at the same time) in acceleration.
    I have have kept the 84 BBi twenty years counting....
    In addition BB can handle much better than Testarossa with modern tires and wheels on a race track,as I was told ,not personal experience but I believe that because of weight and other factors as quality of a arms etc and do not remember if wheel base on TR is longer?
    BBs are another car than stock when equipped with 17 inch rims and aligned accordingly and even more with custom springs on stock shocks adjusted to match with 285 rears and 240-245 fronts.....when done that way they feel lighter and nimble like an eight cylinder car of their days that is set up smartly only with a twelve cyl.......
    They also becoming collectibles ,Trs are still depreciating.....
    So many choices.......

Mario

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Ain't that the truth!

Onno

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    That's a beautiful Ferrari right there.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #259 Noblesse Oblige, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    I enjoyed tracing through this wonderful thread.

I owned a '79 512BB from around 1985 through 1993. I don't have the VIN but the car was featured on the cover of the February 1982 issue of Road and Track with a proper road test. http://www.jimsmegamagazines.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_28_42&products_id=14220 It had been 'gray marketed' into the US by Dick Fritz of Amerispec http://amerispecdickfritz.com/page11.php. It had been fitted with an unfortunate extended bumper needed to meet American standards, but I resisted changing it to a stock one because I wanted to keep the look of the cover of R&T. As you can see from the photo it was not done in boxer trim and had black hood vents. If memory serves, it also had black painted vent slats on the engine cover.

Owning the car was a pleasure. The Webers never gave any problem; in fact I put 20,000 miles on it and didn't have any problem except for a worn 5th gear synchonizer, which was proabably the result of ham fisted journalists getting with the car during the high speed run against the Countach. It ran to 168 mph which was good enough to qualify for unofficial 'fastest road car' at the time. Still I suspect that it was slightly down on power due to the addition of the catalysts needed to be EPA certified.

It was fun to drive. I drove it often though it was not a daily driver. No power steering made for communicative contact with the road. It made a delightful roar and would -- according to Road and Track -- rush to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds, very quick for the time and still no slouch.

It had the old Glasurit lacquer paint which would polish to a mirror finish. It was very soft so was easily touched up to make an invisibile repair. It won its class at the New Hope (PA) Concour D'Elegance show twice, but one time an unknown spectator somehow dented the fragile aluminum bonnet. I stopped entering it.

I paid $55,000 to its first owner and sold it on a consignment deal through a dealer, as I recall for $60,000, after which I lost track of it. In between the Ferrari market went through a huge speculative peak, and for awhile the car may have been worth a couple of hundred thousand. I have often wondered what happened to it.

I did not own another Ferrari until last year when I bought a 458 Italia. Needless to say it is very different.

Jet Set Jester likes this.
  10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Such purity in design!

11. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    are there major differences between 81 through 84 BBis?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the final engine spec ran thru all of those years, maybe there were some other spec updates to suspension or other bits.

But to my knowledge, any of the final injected cars are the same.

13. TxEddie1111

TxEddie1111 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2011
    Opinions wanted: what's the best value; year/optioned BB at this time?

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Best optioned is the BBi, most valuable is the 365. 512 is a better car in my opinion (you asked for opinions) in the way its engineered. Better gearbox, better engine, wider rear wheels, wider rear clam shell to fit the wheels properly, better cooling system in the injected car, injected car starts and runs at the turn of a key. Carbs are cool but both versions have pros and cons. I prefer the look of the injected engine but thats personal taste. Some people prefer carbs out of tradition and after servicing and driving several boxers both carbed and injected I can honestly say one would be splitting hairs to point out the which one is better or faster. All boxers are sitting still regarding appreciation, if they take off I suspect the leader will be the 365. Buy the one that excites you the most.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    81 is carbs 84 is injected. Steering wheel, radio, console, dash, wheels, rear clamshell, bumpers, rads, front structure, front suspension bushings, charging system, texture on inner fenders, parcel shelf and seat backs.

16. Mario Pano

Mario Pano Formula Junior

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari improved the car through the years..........many years ago you would see older BBs wanting to be changed to look like the later ones.
    Personal opinions vary for many reasons but the maker made the changes that Paul mentioned through the whole time of production to improve the car.
    I feel the same way ,the later cars are improved in many ways without loosing their character in comparison to the older ones.
    When it comes to value I second Pauls opinion and I think the end of the production has not come of age yet as it usually starts after thirty years with most, and this is when the last ones build will start becoming even more appreciated for what they are.

Mario

17. John Peterson

John Peterson Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Montpelier, VT
    Full Name:
    John M. Peterson
    #267 John Peterson, Sep 4, 2012
    TYVM for a Great thread w/ a lot of info on all Boxer models. I've owned my '83 Boxer since 1986 and she's been the love of my motorcar life! Started showing the car at FCA annual meets in 2005 with a silver concours award at Indy that year, a gold at Watkins Glen in 2007 and...finally a platinum at Road America in 2009. Working on getting ready for the FCA meet next year where I hope to get another platinum and to try for the Coppa Bella Machina award as well. I found a set of Boxer luggage on E-bay a number of years ago and recently found a working Pioneer radio on the Bay. My original radio died and was replaced by a Blaupunkt unit by the previous owner. As many of you know, finding original parts for our Boxers is VERY difficult. In fact, I looked for the radio for over ten years! My car is all red including the rear spoiler and the air boxes. I not only show the car, but do track events. For street/track use, I recently obtained a set of 3-piece 17" Boxer-style wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires and fitted a Nouvalari SuperSport exhaust system. Above 2500 RPMs...the new exhaust system sounds like a BB LM or maybe even louder!!! I'm keeping the original wheels with TRX tires and the original exhaust for the concours events. Hope to upload a file of the new exhaust at start-up along with a drive-by very soon. Attaching a pic from the track at Watkins Glen in 2007 at the "toe of the boot". John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GIANNI13 likes this.
  18. John Peterson

John Peterson Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Montpelier, VT
    Full Name:
    John M. Peterson
    #268 John Peterson, Sep 4, 2012
    GIANNI13 likes this.
  19. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Very nice!

20. John Peterson

John Peterson Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Montpelier, VT
    Full Name:
    John M. Peterson
    TYVM...I went on a viewing trip before buying this car and looked at 3 Boxers in all. The first two were in Rhode Island and in Chicago and were red w/ Boxer trim. This was just before the big speculation bubble. As soon as I saw this car outside of Denver...I knew she was the one! I really love the all red look. Got one e-mail from Ferrari confirming that was the way the car was ordered by Garage Francorchamps before being sold to the importer in the US. Tried to get more details, but they wanted me to do the Classiche certification to get more info. There were about 3000 Km on the clock at that time. Gave the previous owner, who was the first after the importer, a deposit, paid the balance, arranged the shipping and she arrived just before Christmas for my best ever Christmas present to myself! Hope to upload a clip of the exhaust very soon. It sounds simply AMAZING!!!

21. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As I've said ad nauseam...can NOT believe believe Boxers do not go for WAY more $.

22. John Peterson

John Peterson Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Montpelier, VT
    Full Name:
    John M. Peterson
    Right on! Someone once described the Boxer to me as being "Muscular, but not obnoxious." I couldn't agree more. The torque available is fantastic. The handling is impecable and predictable...for a car w/o all the latest gizmos...even driving on the track in the rain w/ the TRXs!

23. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I am interested in a 512 at a dealer in Houston called driversource ... Is anyone out there know of an outstanding reputable shop in Houston area that is knowledgable on 512 who can do a thorough PPI?thanks

24. Cjs

Cjs Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chr.Juhl-Sorensen
    Ihave been the owner of 365BB N.17963 since 2009.and is committed to supply the chat room with all the relevant informations about my car.
    Fore now I jut have one question:
    Do some of you have problems with exhaust gas coming into the cabin with open windows ?

Chr.

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Only on start up and then immediately shifting into reverse