Scuderia Radio - UPgrade ??? | FerrariChat

Scuderia Radio - UPgrade ???

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobertM, Apr 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I had a ferrari 360 with an after market radio and it sounded great even over the tubi NGT with hyper flow cats.

I just got a 08 Scuderia and the radio is ..... well.....

so the question is... has anyone upgraded the speakers and was it worth it ??? I do not want to install an after market system in this car. The last car had issues UNTIL they figured out that the radio xm receiver was too close to the ??? and was setting off warning lights, it was crazy but lots of trips back and forth to the dealer and radio shop and I do not want to go through that again.

Just looking to do something simple . .

2. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    i have an 09 scud. i thought about speakers for a couple of days. What i came up with: my upgrade - open windows. more engine noise.

3. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    There are a whole bunch of threads on this forum asking for advice on audio upgrades.

Furthermore, nearly every one has at least one reply like the one quoted.

Aren't we all getting a just a little little bored with the trite "don't listen to your radio, listen to your exhaust" response?

So two suggestions:

1. Search just a little before asking a question. There are some very detailed audio upgrade threads.
    2. Grant that we all know Ferraris sound great, and that even so, some of us want to listen to the audio system from time to time. Like when we're parked and waiting for our passenger, etc.

4. DanS*

DanS* Karting

May 29, 2012
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The '08 Scud I bought a while back has a Kenwood KVT-514 / KVT-534D. Based on the other upgrades the prior owner had professionally done (e.g., Passport 9500ci), I'd say you can have a good audio system, if you want one.

5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Ok not to awake an old thread but I am looking at Scuderias and one I saw had NO radio at all but just a block off plate! Didn't know you could get one without a radio. Also were the steering wheel shift lights standard or optional?

6. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Radio/Nav/Ipod were options; LED shift lights on steering wheel were also an option, although when I looked to buy for over a one year period never came across an un-optioned one in the U.S . There have been a few posts which mentioned cars in Europe which came without them. Regardless of whether the radio is a poor quality item with bad audio, it does impact resale for some reason (If it is not optioned with one).

7. zeke_dog9

zeke_dog9 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Texas baby

my car (scud 08) is a radio delete. there is a harness behind the faceplate.
    however when i searched older threads not all radio delete had the harness.
    if you have a harness it should be easy to add speakers. some have been creative
    with speaker placement so it can be done if your so inclined.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Robert. I bought a custom built mini sub box from Mike in CA. It looks great and he will have it covered in any color leather and stitching you desire. I haven't installed it yet but it looks like the factory unit that sits between the seats.

I am going with a blaupunkt san francisco head unit. It looks sleek and not so busy. I was recommended a arc audio amp and polk or boston acoustics speakers for the doors. I can give you the model numbers if you want/ Total expense looks to be around 1200 or so plus installation for everything.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You guys know just by upgrading the pos Becker head unit the sound is significantly better right? No, crazy boom boom box or speakers needed, well unless of course you're a rapper then...

10. hammaglamma

hammaglamma Karting

May 16, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Simon
    What's the system like if you leave the head unit as is and replace just the speakers and stick in a half decent amp?

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    FYI the Becker head unit is not a POS. Its actually pretty good. The problem simply is the Scud is not a friendly environment for an audio system besides the motor. I think the stock system is fine to get some kind of sound out of, but more than that you will need massively powerful amps, large speakers and sound deadening- kind of defeats the mission statement for the Scud....

13. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Look in one of my Threats I upgraded the sound of my scud with no holes etc ..

14. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    People actually listen to a radio in a Scud?