Goodbye, ILLinois | FerrariChat

Goodbye, ILLinois

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    well, the time has come... I'm packing up the family and moving to Austin, TX.
    I love the group I work with. I never thought I'd leave the group.
    Every time I fly back into Chicago, I look down on the city and feel like "this is home, I belong here". It is a good feeling.
    But, we are leaving this summer (I know, great time to move to TX!)

why?
    lots of reasons.
    -First and foremost, I'm a doc. ILLinois is a very unfriendly place to practice medicine, and it is getting worse. More on that later, when some things have been sorted out. I'll refer you to ILL HB 5151 recently that gave plaintiff attorneys in ILL a big fat raise at the expense of the citizens. Spin it all you want, but guaranteeing plaintiff leeches a bigger % of a med mal award does NOT help the person harmed by the medical system.
    -Taxes
    -State politics... the 800 pound gorilla will never go on a diet here. The gorilla needs more food (taxes). They have no other plan to fix a state whose budget problems are every bit as bad as California (just proportionally smaller).
    -related to the above comment... the politics of this state are driving businesses away. No business in their right mind would relocate here. They are fleeing. Long term, this is very bad.
    -weather (enough said!)
    -cost of living - my cost of living will be going down at least 30%. You should look at property in and around Austin. "high end" homes at $90-120 / sq foot. Heck, there are areas where $500K buys you a small lot.
    -I can drive my car year around! (yes, I know it is hot as heck in the summer...)

We have been here in the Chicago area for 18 years, and with the exception of college and grad school, I've been in ILL my whole life.
    On to warmer, friendlier, less expensive pastures!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wish you and your family farewell.

I remember well the tech sessions we enjoyed at your spacious garage and the gokart battles we fought. :)

At least you're going to a really cool city with lots to offer. Including a F1 Grand Prix!

Maybe I'll see you in November at the track.

PS: I might be leaving Chicago one day as well but more in the direction of FL/Miami.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My son is in San Antonio (Trinity University) not far from Austin,great area indeed.
    I really,really hate what's going on here in illinois but I'm stuck since my business can not be transferred.

4. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    You forgot to mention prior to leaving, tax stamps are due on the sale of your home!

Sorry to see you and your family leave us Mike, but you do need to take care of number one and your family first.

Take care, and post some pictures of your new community once you get settled.
    Dave

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Welcome to TX! Please don't tell anyone else how great it is. ;)

And you're going to love driving your car through the Hill Country with the top off. In January. :)

6. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Good for you Mike. Now get a gun rack for the back window of that 308. May be even some big horns for the front bonnet. Oops, you will be in Texas, so they are called hoods now. :D:D:D

7. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Mike wishing you and your family well. It's been a pleasure knowing and enjoying a passion together. I'll keep your old lift in great shape (thanks for selling it). We'll meet again in Monterey and have some more great times, just let me know when you are comng out. I'll have to look you up next time I get down to Austin area, have a project person down in that neck of the woods.

Rick

8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Best of luck!! Can't say that I blame you.

9. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Welcome to Texas! You will love it.

10. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I pulled the plug on Illinois about two years ago for many of the same reasons that you've noted, plus a few of my own. There are a few things that I miss about IL, but there are a lot more that I don't miss. After 20 years it was time for a new view!

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Someone should make up an "Illinois Exodus" website where people fleeing that sinking ship could post the following:

I am John Doe, my educational background is X, my profession is Y, I contributed Z to Illinois for such & such number of years. I am leaving because of reason(s) A (B,C,D...)

I was born and raised in Illinois. Loved many things about the place & miss some of it, but I left for good in 2008.

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Sorry to hear Mike... When are you leaving?

Illinois is going down the crapper, taxes are absolutely outrageous. Cost of living is also.

Bo

13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Spike, I don't blame you for moving out. I grew up in Park Ridge (not far from the Outback where the club has had dinners), and like you, I wouldn't want to live there.

And those in power, and those who put them into power, don't want to make any concessions to put the state on the correct footing.

At least in the UK, the government is trying to sort the mess left by Labour out.

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Say it ain't so Dr. Mike!

Good for you though. I am as jealous as hell. I am working toward a retirement date soon, and perhaps just have a base here with time spent afar.

When that comes to fruition I am looking you up. Save me a garage stall.

15. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Yep, I don't blame you. I hear good things about Austin(even though Texas does not have high speed rail service between prison towns) and hope you'll be happy there.
    Be sure to also send a good bye note to our governor.

16. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Mike,

The tech session at your house was the first Ferrari event I attended after buying my car. Sorry I will not be seeing you at any local events. All the best to you and your family.

I completely understand your reason leave Illinois. We will not be far behind you. About 28 years ago we moved to Illinois from Michigan. Other the higher home values it was a very positive move. It is amazing how much things have changed.

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Big Jim Thompson was the Governor and Reagan was the President,different times indeed...

18. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Good luck Mike. I've got about 6 more years here then I'm gone. Most likely Florida. Will the last person leaving Illinois please turn out the lights.

19. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    thanks for all the kind words!

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife is begging me to leave this God forsaken state,she's willing to live on less,lower our standard of living,anything to just be out of here.
    It's too complicated though.....

21. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Probably sounds weird coming from a resident of Michigan, but....
    I don't know why/how you ILLinois residents put up with it. Company I worked 28 years for was out of Des Plaines (Palos Hills before that) and man I hated going there! Crazy nuts all-the-time traffic congestion, fre*kin' nuts drivers, flat as a pancake, high fuel prices, onerous taxes, I could go on but you already know... political corruption to the max. Now on the positive side, relatively cheap liquor and beer!
    Don't blame you for leaving spike308. Best of fortune.

22. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    as stated in a song from one of my favorite bands (the Chicago band Rise Against)

"... its not too late, we have the rest of our lives...."

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't give a damn about Illinois, but it so happens that Chicago lies within that state.

And life without Chicago is hard for me to imagine. Not many cities around the globe I would say that.

24. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I think Illinois is less to blame for Chicago's troubles than vise versa.

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1

Can I hear an Amen.

ken qv likes this.