"New" 308 for $80k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"New" 308 for $80k

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, Apr 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    You have a ground up restored 308 with only 10k and its not worth 80k? Did you restore the wrong car?

Makes no sense.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Just to give you a different perspective. To restore any of these cars, 6 figures is now needed, labour being the constant and similar the only real difference will be parts, and condition of the car you start with.

Therefore, if you want 80,90k for a car like a 308, you have to prepare and show the value. A simple line and picture that you did a restoration will not get you this type of dollar....your idea of a restoration may not be equal to my idea ....painting a car with the glass in the car is not a restore, it's a paint job.

If you did a refresh on your car, have it documented, and shows as new as it should, there is no embarrassment in asking 80k or higher....sounds like to me , you don't have a 308 issue, you have a marketing, and lack of confidence issue. If you think the 308 is not worth it, how do you expect others to see the true value in what you spent on the car to get it right and in the condition it is in.

I will promise you one thing, I don't get 150 for my 76 glass car , it can stay in the garage with a blanket on it , and others can go find there own :D

Personally, a one owner 308 time capsule car for 80 grand isn't bad at all if the can prove it and validate it.

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Price of a 458 no, 100k + yes, but you won't see them here.

4. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    1980 308 GTB. Red/Black. One of the first fuel injected. I didn't restore it. PO did that in '96. I just keep it nice. Places in almost every show I attend and got best of show twice. I did three belt changes, major service, new brakes, new tires, new wheels, new clutch, a battery, and any other small things it needed to keep it right. Also added a Tubi muffler and headers. Rebuilt trans shifts like new. The PO worked for Ferrari NA so He was able to get the parts at cost. Has complete history and documentation from when it came off the boat in CA. All tools and books. This car is complete along with all the original parts I took off. I'd for sure sell it for 80K. I have a lot of $$$$$$ in it but I never thought I would get it back out again. These things are a labor of love. Maybe there are a few willing to pay good money for a good well sorted near perfect 308. Guess I have been out of the market too long and have lost touch with the values of these cars. I've owned this one for more than 13 years. My baby, no expense spared.

5. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    If your car is truly The way you have described it, why wouldn't you raise your price?

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    +1

Nice add , what are you listed for ?

Even though its a older refresh from 1996 I think you are selling yourself short if you have good pictures of the restore, and documentation.

Sounds like a great car !

7. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    +1

Good cars undervalued and crap over valued.

8. furnacerepair

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    Like I said, I guess I have been out of touch with the values. I'm not sure I'd sell this one anyway. There are lots of pics of the car on this site. Too bad my PC crashed. Lost most of my pictures. Yeah yeah, backup, I know. I don't think I could find another one as nice. Also I've been told my car is not worth much because it is an '80, injected, had 14" wheels, not a QV, black leather, and more other things I can't even remember. Don't care either.
    Cutting down each others cars is not what this site is about. Every Ferrari is a work of art. Not all of them are to everyones taste. I'm not really sure about selling but might this summer. I've had it long enough to move on.

9. furnacerepair

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    After reading all the earlier posts I think you guys are right. I'm now sure I have been talking to the wrong people about selling. My own fault for not keeping up with the market. I retired five years ago and have been working on other projects and lost touch. Only remembered the posts that only some 308 would be worth a lot more. Just look at the Dino. Could have bought nice ones in the 30K range when I bought my 308. Should have bought two.

PS,
    By the way, I do have all the documentation anyone could ever want on this car. Every part, part number, receipt, and the price at the time it was installed. Big folder with pics.

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like a really nice car. However, you have to realize that the appeal of the early FI 2V cars is the lowest of the group.

11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I saw a genuine 1700kilometer 308 GTBi in Belgium when I lived there. Essentially the car was left to rot in the showroom. It was absolutely pitiful.

He offered it to me for 25,000 Euro back in 2008. It would take another 25,000 to get it where it needed to be.

PDG

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hey Martini, Throw up that picture you have of your engine. These guys don't know how nice your car is!

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can just see those 206/246 Dino guys laughing at us 308/328 owners.

14. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

Mike..................ah forget it. :D

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I think if the car was concours mint it's easily worth 80k to the right buyer.

This one, I bet, is in need of a lot of work.

It doesn't matter if your restoring a 308 or a mustang. Other than parts, labor is labor and that is what kills you at @$100 an hour. If you are able to do the majority of the work yourself you save considerably.

At least that's what I would tell myself to justify spending insane amounts of time and money to play with older cars! ;) Otherwise I'd just buy a Cayman S and do nothing but change the oil.

16. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I don't know why everyone is getting so jacked up about this car. Look at the corrosion in that engine compartment. The paint is faded. This car needs everything including interior. If the clock is correct, which it might be judging by the minimum wear on the driver's seat, it's 30K at best.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "If the clock is correct, which it might be judging by the minimum wear on the driver's seat, it's 30K at best"

Totally Agree!

Sometimes I think these type of threads are prolonged by folks trying to use the forum to artificially elevate 3x8 prices! But the fact is, these are not collectable cars...there are too many of them. OK, maybe in another 50 years, when there are only 100 of them left, they may sell for stupid money. But not now... ;)

18. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    That's not true, a glass GTB Euro is collectable, and when restored they go for a lot more than 80k. Try and find one heck try and find an early GTS euro. Those that have them keep them, and when they go for sale they ain't listed on eBay, they are sold offline to other collectors.

And no one is on here to jack up prices, they are what they are. This isn't the place to jack them up cause no one will listen. Heck I have a GT4 if I'm going to try and jack anything its that. Some of us just get sick when others come with their first reaction to any 308 north of 40 as ridiculous. If people want drivers god bless, but there are cars going for well north of 80k.

If you would rather have a 360 for 80k go for it, I'd say you are bottom feeding. You spend 80k on a 308, you are driving close to what these cars were. 40k for a 308, ma your driving a shadow of a car, not saying you can't have fun, but you don't have what they were when new.

19. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    It's funny... I pretty much agree that they aren't truly "collectible" (at least right now), but it's kind of funny to say that there are too many of them, when the the largest automotive market in the whole world (by far) never seems to have more than five for sale at any given time, and sometimes doesn't have any...

20. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    + 1 on that comment ; Just checked on EBay, 16 – Testarossa’s, 16 – 355’s, 54 – 250’s, 92 – 430’s, and only 3 – 308’s for sale. What does that tell you about the reported thousands and thousands of 308’s out and about here in the good old USA? :)

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    You spend 80k on a 308, you are driving close to what these cars were. 40k for a 308, ma your driving a shadow of a car, not saying you can't have fun, but you don't have what they were when new."

Well, like I said, IMO there is no way a 308 is worth 80k UNLESS it's a no-mileage car and will essentially be a museum-grade display car. But as soon as mileage get's put on it, it's just another 3x8, worth 30-40k at best.

The glass cars? Sure, there weren't many and if someone has the desire to own a glass one, then the price is whatever the price is. But that's not where reality is for metal 3x8's, despite what folks who own them (like me) would like to think. ;)

22. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    That's what I'm sayin'...

Also, I don't know that one can take the quantity of cars built to really measure collectability... Anyone wanna guess how many '67-'73 Z28s were built?

23. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good point with the Z's. All I hear from people is gee, they made so many? When my car was made (1976), Ferrari only made something like 1,450 cars that year. They now make around 580 a month. The normal guy can not afford say, a 250 swb, but can own a very nice 308 and still keep the wife happy. Remember it is all about keeping the wife happy :)

24. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    For the most part no the steel ones aren't worth what glass is, but I've seen US steel cars that are 80+k, most stuff are drivers tho.

25. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I took a 30K GTB and put 50K into it, now I have an 80K 308 that IS worth 80K to me. My advice to anyone who'd consider buying a 308 for 80K..........do what I did, then at least you know the condition of everything! (my 308 is not worth 80K to anyone else, just to me)