California early impressions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

California early impressions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lukeylikey, Jan 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I will butcher this so hopefully smarter people will jump in. Magneride are magnetic shocks that can be adjusted for stiffness. Pretty sure they were offered from 2009 onwards. I think it is a "must" on a Cali. Putting it into Comfort mode creates a very plush drive and then in Sport the Cali becomes stiff and very responsive.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Here is the wikipedia entry. MagneRide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    you have to admit...that is seriously Bass-A$$. Thanks to GM for developing that technology...

4. DiMisa1977

DiMisa1977 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2005
    But it doesn't affect ride height, correct?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #55 sherpa23, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    It's a shock setting, and more of a function of the fluid volume (the metal condenses to effectively pressurize the fluid). Spring settings are what change the ride height.

6. DiMisa1977

DiMisa1977 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks, bud. Is this THE Sherpa?

7. BK67

BK67 Rookie

Jun 27, 2010
    About a month ago I traded my 430 Spider and Maserati Gran Turismo and went with a California which has become my daily driver in place of the Gran Turismo. Prior to the 430 Spider I had a 355 Spider. I agonized over the pros and cons before making this decision but in the end the pro's were simply too compelling.

I love that I can drive this as a daily driver but also take it on the track to do some fun laps. I love that this car is dual-clutch and the shifts sound like a 458's at speed. I love that it can be a coupe or a convertible and with the top down that it is completely open. I love that I can take my three children along for a ride and they no longer have to fight over who gets to go in the "Ferrari". I love that it is both understated and stunning, people are constantly taking pictures or video from their phones or are just simply admiring it. I love that it has conveniences such as NAV and a cup holder for my morning coffee.

I enjoy driving my cars and I definitely don't keep them in the garage and I love that I can drive the California just about everyday unless its snowing or there is a hurricane, I have the SUV for that. For someone who belongs to a track and drives a track prepped Porsche Cayman for more "serious" driving, I can say that the California gives me plenty of thrill although I have only driven it on the road thus far.

With regard to the unnatural lateral movement mentioned in earlier posts, I have experienced this as well particularly when changing lanes at highway speed on uneven pavement, a very wobbly feeling that is a little unnerving the first couple times you experience it, but I definitely don't feel it on smoother pavement.

Another thing I have experienced that I haven't seen mentioned is "ice pedal" where the car doesn't slow crisply when I am under harder braking. I'm not sure if this is the ABS trying to keep me from locking up and perhaps the ambient weather is still a bit cold and brakes are not warmed up, this is the first car I have had with ccb's.

One concern I have is about the clutch wear in a DCT. If anyone has had to replace a clutch(s) with a DCT after how many miles was it and how much did it cost? I often get caught in stop-and-go traffic and this has been on my mind.

Otherwise I love this car and I am very happy with my decision so far.

8. BK67

BK67 Rookie

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh yeah almost forgot the reason I started down the path in the first place, I got to consolidate two cars into one so freed up a garage space!

9. myphillylawyer

myphillylawyer Karting

Feb 4, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I have had many CCB systems and what you describe is CC brakes that have not yet been warmed sufficiently. Very disconcerting if you're unprepared and need to stop in a hurry. All I can say is to compressed the brakes frequently and gently to warm them up especially in colder weather. That should solve the problem fairly quickly. Good luck with the new car.

I recently sold my 458 and Audi GT in order to order a 2013 California. My 3rd Ferrari but my first that I ordered to my specs. It should be here in a few weeks. Waiting impatiently in Philly.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes. the one and only.

11. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    From what I understand of DCT, there is almost no clutch slippage, so they should last at least 100,000 miles. Stop and go traffic should not be a concern. But if it does fail, look out for a very costly bill.

With some of the comments on stability issues in the California, I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a convertible? I have never driven a convertible that didn't have some degree of cowl shake or instability on poor pavement, although my F430 spider was pretty good in that regard, not perfect.

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I too dislike the occasional bouncy feel when changing lanes on uneven asphalt. I suspect the issue IS the springs. I would be willing to bet that the ROW (non-US) Californias came with stiffer and lower springs.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sherpa- Fluid volume is unaffected. Varying the current flow changes the viscosity of the fluid, not the volume.

14. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    The ricambi site shows different springs between magnaride cars and those without

Ferrari Parts, Ferrari Accessories, and Ferrari Performance Products - Ricambi America, Inc.

But shows no difference in spring variations between country variants

I know Porsche are one company that often sets suspension softer and higher for Cars bound for North America

But it doesn't appear that Ferrari do for the California

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Ah, that makes sense. You're saying that the metal doesn't condense to change the volumetric pressure (and stiffening the ride) but it sort of changes or expands within the fluid to make it more viscous (and also stiffening the ride)?

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The magnets change the viscosity of the fluid but doesn't expand. Think of turning water into syrup and how syrup would not flow as well through the shock's valving. That effect increases damping which yields more control at the expense of a stiffer ride. Read the Wikipedia entry I posted above, it's quite interesting.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you feel "bouncing," it's not the springs but the damping provided by the shocks. Do you feel that on a Magneride car or one with regular shocks? If Magneride, try driving over the same stretch of road with the manettino set on Sport. You should feel a difference in damping.